Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple curious thoughts....

A couple curious thoughts....

So many of us new Dane owners have come to DOL seeking information about showing. I observed that there is a large amount of people who ask about showing that end up not showing. I can surmise that people could become intimidated or realize that their dog may not possess enough show quality. I had actually inquired about showing but decided not to do so for various reasons but mainly because Roman has some faults that would make for limited success and I am not breeding him. Even with his faults and his limited potential as a show dog I often think how much fun showing could be. I soon abandon the thought though and move on to just enjoying him as he is. It seems the excitement of a new Dane can make one a bit zealous and eager to immerse themselves into all things Dane.

My other curious thought was that even people who have no interest in showing desire critiques on conformation. I feel the desire for a critique could have something to do with validation or just a simple curiosity.

Any thoughts?
    Michelle & Roman

A cackle is a giggle with authority.

sigpic

I don't have any thoughts on the topic, but I just wanted to say that your recent signature and avatar pictures of Roman are stunning! He is lookin' good .
    Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

Confirmation showing can be challenging, disappointing and very rewarding, depending on your attitude and the competition.

I love, love, love doing obedience, agility or field work with our dogs, as we work more as a team and it can be much more challenging for the dog.

If you have a good confirmation dog, go there, but don't stop when he/she is finished, but go on to other forms of dog sports to enjoy your friend with!

The most important thing is for both you and your pal to have FUN!
      sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Well I asked for opinions on andross because I knew he wasn't perfect. After geting him and learning a lot on DOL I knew I wanted my next dane to be of great quality. Its great to see amazing show quality danes and reading about comformation but for me I didn't understand what was good about those show danes without visually seeing what faults actually looked like on othere danes. I don't know if I am making any sense. Its just good for me to see examples of both the good and bad.
        sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I was in Jr. Showing when I was in my early-mid teens, and I really enjoyed it. And I am planning on getting a show quality brindle dane in the next couple of years. As for showing the pup, I probably will, I don't know if I will take him to a Ch. or not, just depends on $ at that time.
          As for the conformation musing, I think every person has the desire to be validated in the purchase of their show pup, whether it be good quality or not. we love these animals and while we think they are perfect, we want everyone else to think they are perfect as well.
          Plus, it is for some, who have perhaps spent an enormous amount of money on what most of us on here would consider a byb pup, validation that they were right in their purchase.
          I would never put Ximmy up against a reputable breeders dog, she is a byb rescue, horrible conformation, with a reverse topline that wont quit (hoping she is still growing in the front left in her, lol), but I would put her temperament up against those dogs no question.
          sigpic
          My Crew
          The Danes:
          Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
          The Cats:
          Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
          At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
          ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Dane Adorer,

Thank you! I took so many pictures that day trying to capture him with his ears pricked, correct lighting, and facing the right way.

isdapous,

Agility seems like the perfect activity to do as an alternative to conformation shows. Agility is great because EVERY dog can participate.

Lacey,

You are so on the money because I cant think of a better reason to ask then for educational purposes.

Ximmy's Mom,

I agree with you. After reading your post it made me realize that seeking a critique may also be someone seeking not only validation but acceptance by ones peers.
            Michelle & Roman

A cackle is a giggle with authority.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Enhanced View Post
              Dane Adorer,

Thank you! I took so many pictures that day trying to capture him with correct lighting
              I know how hard it is to snap a good picture with a black dog! LOL
              Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X