Why do they lean?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do they lean?????

I have only had Danes for two years but have been around them for decades. All of the Danes I have ever been exposed to would lean on me at one time or another. When I engage one of my girls in play the other will always get between us and then lean on me--its as though she is trying to push me or something! I just cant figure this out but this is not a problem because I know this is what they do and love it--I just dont know why they do it!
    _______
    ~ Rob ~

I don't know but Moose & I are working on the whole "leaning" thing. I'm trying to teach him that leaning against walls & furniture is ok (and yes he does rearrange furniture when he does this) but against me is not ok because I fall over.

I think he does it on purpose

Comment

Yes--He does do this on purpose! They all do it. I just can't figure out why they do it!
      _______
      ~ Rob ~

Comment

They do it because...why not?!
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

They love you/ are comfortable with you.

Affection.
          Follow me on these other sites.

Facebook
          Tumblr
          YouTube

Comment

maybe because they CAN? because of their size, it is pretty comfortable for them

Comment

I would probably lean too if I had all that weight on little bitty pads... I can't imagine what the abnormally large danes go through with feet problems (not to mention bone/hip) problems.
              - Chris
              "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Walnuts View Post
                I would probably lean too if I had all that weight on little bitty pads... I can't imagine what the abnormally large danes go through with feet problems (not to mention bone/hip) problems.
                You do have that weight--Do you lean on people??
                _______
                ~ Rob ~

Comment

haha... I do have that weight, but I have big feet... and no, I try not to lean on people haha
                  - Chris
                  "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
                  sigpic

Comment

Just to make sure you know they're there? It's a Dane thing, and I love it, but I'me also curious as to the why.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Walnuts View Post
                      haha... I do have that weight, but I have big feet... and no, I try not to lean on people haha
                      That's exactly it. For our Danes it's socially acceptable, they can get away with it. If you try to lean on a co-worker or a complete stranger, you're gonna get hit or sued!
                      sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

Macy leans when she wants pets and attention. If there are a group of people standing, she will weave among them like a cat leaning on each one as she goes past. Stopping if they pet her, then continuing to the next.
                        Rachael

sigpic

Comment

I guess thats a pretty good reason--"attention seeking". It would explain why one dog gets between me and the one I'm paying attention to.
                          Last edited by RustyNail; 10-13-2010, 03:50 PM.
                          _______
                          ~ Rob ~

Comment

Our last trainer said it was a dominance thing... we quit using her after she made a snide comment in regards to our pit mix, that she would never own anything with pit in it, so no accounting for accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by CalicoJenn View Post
                              Our last trainer said it was a dominance thing... we quit using her after she made a snide comment in regards to our pit mix, that she would never own anything with pit in it, so no accounting for accuracy.
                              I will admit that I don't know why they do it either but I think that statement is ! I can understand why you stopped using her.
                              sigpic
                              Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
                              X