Goliath great dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goliath great dane

So I was at the park the othere night and met two guys who both owned full grown "Goliath great danes." They noticed andross was a dane and came over right away to talk to me. First they are nice about andross but as the time passes the start commenting on how "small" he is. Mind you andross is actually taller than one of the GGDs and the same height as the othere. so it went on blah blah blah goliath great danes are better blah blah. I was trying to keep my cool obviously they were undereducated and bought from a BYB unknowingly probably i didn't know really. I really was trying not to care about the whole bigger is better convo. Then one said that both GGDs were over 4,500$ I said wait are you sure they are not European great danes?? they replied nope they are Goliath great danes one of the most expensive dogs to own. Finally I asked...What is a Goliath Great dane???? he said its a mastiff mixed with a great dane I don't know why i just must be a really tactless person but the next sentence i said came flying out of my mouth so quick i didn't have time to stop myself.

I replied. "Wow so you bought yourselves some very expesnive mutts!" (ya im evil) I then said sorry but the man went on to tell me that they are not mutts there Goliath danes. blah blah. I ended the playdate with "has anyone told you that when you mix two different breeds together they are not a new breed?" then i just left because you know I really don't like trying to bring out a negative down fall in another dog because they seemed like great dogs. its just the owner was a bit uneducated.

So anyone else heard of a Goliath dane???

One last story...

Sorry one more thing that has nothing to do with this. When i was at the vet with andross the othere day one of the vet techs made fun of his size she really pissed me off!! I told her he is perfect she replied with "don't you think he would be so much cooler if he was one of those really tall danes?" it kind of made me sad and mad because i always thought andross was a pretty cool dog anyways. My poor boy at least he doesn't get what they were saying. Sorry that was so random but i needed to vent about that.
    Last edited by Lacey; 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM.
    sigpic Little boy!

I've heard this term too, but I unfortunately have no answer. I tried searching the forum for Euro Danes, but the threads were so old that all the photo links were broken.

I did a search outside the forum of Euro Danes and I actually did see mention of Mastiff. I couldn't say if that's true... but I would imagine that Mastiffs and Danes have a common ancesto and the two breeds have since been bred apart. If this is true (and I am obviously guessing it based on University Biology, not breeding experience), the correlary would be that this Dane/Mastiff mix (Goliath Dane) is the common ancestor.

The domesticated dog wasn't truly bred for specific breed until the 1800's, mostly because at the time it was one of the fastest animals that genetics could be bred in/out of for significant traits attributes quick enough for someone to see change. (I've seen evidence that egyptians did it, but only for one breed)

Hopefully one of the breeders here can chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken; They would be best qualified to give a true answer.

**Edit**
    If danes have bone/joint/hip problems because of their giant size, wouldn't breeding them for size be unhealthy?
    Last edited by Mr. Walnuts; 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM.
    - Chris
    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Walnuts View Post
      I've heard this term too, but I unfortunately have no answer. I tried searching the forum for Euro Danes, but the threads were so old that all the photo links were broken.

I did a search outside the forum of Euro Danes and I actually did see mention of Mastiff. I couldn't say if that's true... but I would imagine that Mastiffs and Danes have a common ancesto and the two breeds have since been bred apart. If this is true (and I am obviously guessing it based on University Biology, not breeding experience), the correlary would be that this Dane/Mastiff mix (Goliath Dane) is the common ancestor.

The domesticated dog wasn't truly bred for specific breed until the 1800's, mostly because at the time it was one of the fastest animals that genetics could be bred in/out of for significant traits attributes quick enough for someone to see change. (I've seen evidence that egyptians did it, but only for one breed)

Hopefully one of the breeders here can chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken; They would be best qualified to give a true answer.

**Edit**
      If danes have bone/joint/hip problems because of their giant size, wouldn't breeding them for size be unhealthy?
      Oh I understand what you mean. All breeds have to be mixed somewhere along the lines. I just don't like how the breed has come so far and we have these amazing breeders who work so hard to keep producing standard quality pups wether they are european line danes or american it just makes me mad that people think they can just wake up one day and think they can produce a new breed. Yes danes and mastiffs are similar but they should be bred together just because.
      sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I agree.

Actually, I should correct something I said. The correlary wouldn't be that its the same breed... but that it would be similar to the same breed, assuming that only Danes and Mastiffs originate from it; if a third, fourth, or fith breed also share that ancestor, then it would just be a mutt.
        Last edited by Mr. Walnuts; 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM.
        - Chris
        "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
        sigpic

Comment

Goliath Danes?, never heard of that and spending $4500 on a mix breed, those guys were morons, I can import a dog from Germany and have a real reason to spend that much. I can't see spending that much on a non-show pet dog unless it's from another country. But those guys can be grateful they aren't into black Chinese Tibetan Mastiffs they didn't fork over $40,000 just $4500.
          As for the vet techs isn't your dane still under a year old, I get a little tired of people expecting every dane to tower 38 inches tall. It's even harder for female dane owners because they typically are under 34 inches tall.
          Breeding for size alone is why I see so many BYB danes that are huge yet crippled and can barely run.

Comment

Andross is a very handsome boy and the guys at the park are idiots. Just proves the statement credited to P.T. Barnum; "there's a sucker born every minute". Give it a fancy name, and people will buy anything. I bet we spend more on "fertilizer" than we would if it was labeled "Bag O Shit" even tho it's the same thing.

Why does everyone always want the BIGGEST, TALLEST Great Dane? My Jacob is very tall, but he's deaf and an orthopedic train wreck, but every hillbilly yahoo who ever saw him at Petsmart wanted to breed their dog to him. My friend who ran the rescue I volunteered with used to tell me to go ahead and charge them a couple hundred $$ stud fee and let Jacob give it a try. Only problem is Jacob was neutered at 4 months old and has no clue what to do with a girl except wrestle with her.
            sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

They call them gladiator danes here, and those guys got robbed.
              sigpic
              Lori, Desi & Grimm
              RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
              Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
              Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Originally posted by LoMax View Post
                They call them gladiator danes here, and those guys got robbed.
                What, a Dane/Mastiff mix? Hmm.. I wonder why that name was given?
                - Chris
                sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to add that I too really think Andross is a cool dog.

There is always going to be someone out there who wants to capitalize on the "giant" theme.
                  sigpic

Comment

If someone told me my dog would be "cooler" if he was taller (or anything else) I might simply respond, "yeah .. he might be cooler, and I bet you would be cooler too .. if you were only prettier".

How rude can a person get.
                    sigpic
                    A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

I love Andross, he is so handsome!
                      He actually kinda reminds me of our late dane Chaos.
                      sigpic
                      My Crew
                      The Danes:
                      Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                      The Cats:
                      Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                      At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                      ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

I have found that many insulting or demeaning comments are made by people who feel jealousy for what others have. In this case you have a lovely Dane and they do not.

I find the best tactic in situations where someone doesn't know what they are talking about is to educate them. I try to remain cordial but if need be I have been known to be a bit dominant and even aggressive.
                        Michelle & Roman

A cackle is a giggle with authority.

sigpic

Comment

I love Andross too! I think he's the perfect size and he will probably live forever!

I also agree that those guys are morons to spend a small fortune on a dog just because some BYBer decided to give their mutt pups some fancy name.
                          sigpic
                          Tracy ~ wife(to Marshall) & mom to 3 skin kids (Devin, Cameron, Kaiden) & 2 fur kids (Cain & Leda) RIP my sweet Breech 8-12-09 to 9-18-10.

Comment

9000 dollars for 2 mutts? INSANE! I'm sure the "breeder" laughed all the way to the bank. Sad that they perpetuated a BYB and THINK they have this special breed of dog. I hope they are well-loved and well-cared for.
                            sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Walnuts View Post

**Edit**
                              Danes originally came from Mastiffs and Greyhounds (and some would argue Irish Wolfhounds), so the Mastiff IS their common ancestor. In Germany, Danes are called Deutsche Dogges, which translates to German Mastiff. Did you do any research before you got your dogs? (I'm not trying to be snarky, but it appears that way.)

Lacey, Andross is WAY better than any Goliath, Gladiator, King, or BYB-bred Euro Dane. Don't be afraid to say something back to them when they insult Andross.

The people that are genuinely curious about the average size of a Dane, I answer very politely (it's an excuse to talk Dane!). But the idiots who make stupid comments are the ones I use my witty lines on. I'll have to remember the "if only you were prettier" one!
                              Charlotte, Zack (Blue Harlequin GD), and Grey (Russian Blue mix Cat)

sigpic
                              Follow Zack's blog: http://wisdombyzack.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X