shredding things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shredding things

bentley LOVES cardboard. he doesn't eat it, he shreds it with wild abandon. it's the funniest thing to watch! i have given him cardboard boxes to play with and shred but i've only ever done this when we are outside.

if i give him something like this to play with/shred IN the house, what are the chances that he will think it's okay to shred things like furniture? he's a good boy although i have come home a couple of times to shredded books. my fault, since i left them within his reach.

i'm just not sure how his brain would work. hmmmm...i get a box to shred. i think i'll move on to the couch! or, hmmmm...mom left me this cool toy and i'll be happy with it till i get another one!
    [SIGPIC]

Ximmy shreds the toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls and hasn't yet moved on to the furniture. Mind you this is the dog that shreds anything she can get her teeth on paper wise, but will just quietly suck on her blanket. she has never torn anything fabric, including the t-shirt we use for tug of war.
    sigpic
    My Crew
    The Danes:
    Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
    The Cats:
    Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
    At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
    ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

My thought is that he would not move on to the couch, but I am not sure I would want to risk it. If he knows that boxes, given to him by you, outside are for him, but not your belongings inside, that would be a good thing. I have never had to deal with paper shredding with any of my dogs.
      Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
      Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
      RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Simon is a MAJOR box shredder, at times I will give him one to take apart so that I can fit more into the recycle bin! He can turn a huge box into a huge pile of bits in no time at all.... Of course - I always need to remember to put the new box of kitty litter out of his reach or that gets torn apart with litter everywhere!
        sigpic

Comment

supra loves card board!! he loves anything paper but not the couches. i think bentley would be fine, he will probably lay on his sun chair and shred away
          http://4supra.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

My dogs are paper shredders for sure! They got in the office one day last week and boy howdy, did they ever have a party! I'd keep the shredding outside if I were you.

I've actually never *given* them anything to shred. I'm kind of curious now... I have plenty of boxes. Maybe the next time it's nice out and they are bonkers, I'll give them one outside. Then again, might totally just fuel their fire....
            sigpic
            Theodore Winston - AKA: Ted

Comment

Belle is a paper shredder but she is very kind to the multiple articles of clothing, towels, pillows, etc that she steals then snuggles with! I think he would probably be fine but the cleanup might not be too fun.

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
              One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

lots of food for thought here. thank you!

i have throw pillows on the couch, i often leave my shoes at the kitchen door, my basket of yarn along with my latest crochet project sometimes gets left out if i am in a hurry. none of those things have ever been touched by any of the dogs. books, yes. other things, nope.
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Briar is a shredder. Unfortunately for us, she shreds material. Intrestingly enough she shreds then sucks (ie nurses on the material while kneading it or whatever she is laying on at the same time) She will shred blankets (her favorite thing to shred) in lieu of a cheap blanket purchased with her shredding in mind (so she will not shred mine) she will shred towels, clothing, paper, cardboard, newspapers, magazines, books, and will eat shoes. Oh and she eats dry wall and wood molding too. sigh. So far the furniture is safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X