she went downhill so fast :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• she went downhill so fast :(

so many of you saw my thread about her snapping at my mom.
    well, the night before last she attacked Bella, leaving several puncture wounds and scaring Bella a lot. I literally had to beat her off of her.
    I contacted my mentor (who is also a trainer/behaviorist) and her advice was to consider euthanizing Meri.
    and tonight, she had a paper towel in her mouth, I tried to catch her and take it from her, but she turned around and went for my arm. which I *never* thought she would do
    now remember, she is my heart dog. I do not know what I will do without her, but she cannot be trusted, I am conditioning her to her muzzle, which she will be wearing all the time.
    but I do not feel right doing that to her, I feel that she will keep getting worse, and we have controlled her pain as much as we could.
    after coming on chat last night, I feel that the best thing for everyone involved (including her) is euthanasia. even though in my heart that is the last thing I want to do.
    the problem is, my parents are against it. they want to 'see how the fall goes'
    but I do not think that they are considering HER. they are considering what her death will do to me.

also, I know nothing of her parents or genetics, all I know is that she used to be great. but now, after biting 2 men, snapping at my mom and I, and attacking Bella multiple times, and me working with her as much as I could, I am thinking this has a lot to do with genetics.

does anyone have any constructive advice for me?
    Cassie

Hi i am really reluctant to give advice on this post.I had a dog like you describe but worse we had to use furniture to break up a fight she almost killed two of my dogs and i had to pts.i will never forget the failure i felt as she loved me but some animals just are not meant to be in society as applies to many people.I feel your pain.

Comment

I don't have any advice but I'm sorry that you are having to face this decision. Sending your way.

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
      One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

Cassie, I'm sorry you're faced with this choice....

You should know that I am not against euthanasia for behavior reasons, but that is a choice only you can make. I can only offer suggestions.

I'd say the first order of business is a trip to the vet. This dog is in pain no? Hips? Is she on pain meds? Which ones? It may not be strong enough, or the meds may be making her extra crabby. Could be something as simple as a change of medication.

Is this dog's medical condition fixable? If it is fixable is it within your budget?

Your trainer says to consider euth - for behavior or medical reasons? In other words, does she think that the behavior is not related to the pain?

How predictable is Meri? I'm more willing to work with predictable aggression (resource guarding) than generalized aggression that is obviously harder to manage.

Once the medical issues are cleared up, how much time can you realistically dedicate to working with Meri on her behavior issues? Will the rest of the family be on board and participate in the rehabilitation?

All are just things to consider...
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
          I'd say the first order of business is a trip to the vet. This dog is in pain no? Hips? Is she on pain meds? Which ones?

she is on rymadil, I talked to my parents about the DGP and they didnt even consider it, I do not have a job right now (although I am doing my best to find one) so I cannot buy it for her. I considered rehoming her to someone who can afford it, but A) she is a liability at this point and B) I dont think her behavior will change

Is this dog's medical condition fixable? If it is fixable is it within your budget?

the vet said that it would be pointless to replace her hips, and also we could not afford it

Your trainer says to consider euth - for behavior or medical reasons?

behavioral

How predictable is Meri?
          not very anymore. I have always been able to take things from her. the fact that she snapped over paper towel scares me. she also gave no warning when she tried to bite that mans hand on a walk

Once the medical issues are cleared up, how much time can you realistically dedicate to working with Meri on her behavior issues? Will the rest of the family be on board and participate in the rehabilitation?

I am willing to work as long as I can. if I thought it would help
          the rest of the family? not a chance.
          thank you everyone for your advice so far
          Cassie

Comment

Of course, ultimately the decision is yours and you are the only one who really knows whats going on.

I again though suggest making sure the pain is managed and getting a second behaviorist involved. It may very well end up still being a PTS issue, but personally having been through something similar....I still question myself often..I still cry for my girl and the what ifs get to me sometimes. I had numerous trainers work with her...and that does give me some solace. Not saying you have to, but just for your piece of mind it may be helpful.

Comment

This is a tough subject for sure!I am shoked that i had a show dog that could kill in a second!This is very serious and i think if you feel overwhelmed either let a trainer etc have her or you must pts.This is to serious to put under the rug jmo.

Comment

I do also want to say, I realize sometimes that what appears in the story when written is not always realistic to how bad it actually is. When I talk of my past dog, I always think, gosh, that really doesnt sound so bad....but living with her, the stress, the panic, the fear, words dont describe the energy of our entire household during that time.

How is your other dog? The one she attacked? Is she doing ok??? How hurt was she.

Comment

I want to say I don't think genetic behavioral problem but most likely due to what ever is causing her pain or even the meds since problems seem to have come about around the same time. I can't say much for what is a personal choice, but if whatever is causing her pain, or chemically imbalanced from med has made her act this way she must be very uncomfortable either physically or mentally because her state of mind is very different from what you have known in the past.

Comment

I have no advice because I can not imagine how hard this must be for you. Just want to offer strength and hugs during this tough time.
                    sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                      How is your other dog? The one she attacked? Is she doing ok??? How hurt was she.
                      she has multiple puncture wounds in her leg, the vet gave us antibiotics and he put some stuff on it, if I didnt brake it up I dont know if Bella would have her life
                      Cassie

Comment

I didn't know if I wanted to relate my story to you, and I don't know if it will help, but I want you to be able to read how far aggression will go.
                        We got our first dane, Chaos when he was 5 weeks old. We socialized him from almost the get-go. From almost the start he tried to make himself dominate. He constantly attacked our 9 y/o lab, Ditto. We had a trainer, we tried the plug-in pheramones, we seperated the dogs, the only thing that worked was putting Ditto in a cone (he has a yeasty ear that he scratches constantly, so it wasn't a bad thing). Chaos had a training collar on at all times, but was only used if there was a dog fight, as it was the only way to get him off of Ditto.
                        He had to be completely sedated and muzzled to even go to the vet, and the vet's office made us go into the kennel area to get him when he was neutered.
                        We couldn't trust him, and we didn't. There was always the fear of "when is the next fight?" or "what is going to cause the next fight".
                        When he was 3 he went after my step-father, and then, when he was laying on me (which he did ALL the time) he decided that I wasn't a good thing and attempted to get me.
                        The next day we took him to the vet and made the hardest decision, he had to be pts. We tried contacting the rescues, but they wouldn't take him because of the aggression. He was from a BYB so of course they didn't want him back.
                        I look at Ximmy now, and think back at Chaos, and think maybe it wasn't so bad. But the stress and absolute fear that we felt on a daily basis is gone now, and it breaks my heart but I know it was be best thing to do.
                        I do understand your pain, and I didn't relate this story to push the choice we made onto you. Only you will know what is the right thing to do. If you want to talk, you can PM me. But for now :hugs:
                        Forgot to add, he was on the doggie version of Synthroid, he had very low thyroid levels. so maybe have your vet check that, as I heard that can lead to aggression.
                        Last edited by Ximmy's Mom; 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM.
                        sigpic
                        My Crew
                        The Danes:
                        Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                        The Cats:
                        Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                        At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                        ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

I'm sorry for the decision you have to make.
                          I think one other thing to consider is your new fear of her. If she's biting at you over a paper towel, what's next. And lets face it, Danes are not small animals. If she has any idea that you have any fear of her it may get worse IMO ~
                          I did have a Dane I had to put down for aggression. I got him when he was almost 20 wks. He was fine as a puppy but the older he got the worse he got. We started obedience classes and within a couple classes I had to muzzle him. It ended up I had to muzzle him all the time. The deal breaker for me was when he was loving up on my Dad's wife. I had him muzzled. He had his nose up by her ear, he was wagging his tail and loving on her, then boom, he went right for her neck. If he would not have been muzzled he would have killed her. No doubt in my mind. He would be sitting in the room, someone would walk in and you could see his eyes just glaze over. It was not an easy decision for me. But after talking to vets, trainers and people who knew Danes a lot better then me, the decision was made. There is no doubt in my mind he would have hurt someone, bad. {{ hugs }}
                          sigpic

Gage ~ 15 wks

Comment

Originally posted by Ximmy's Mom View Post
                            We got our first dane, Chaos when he was 5 weeks old. We socialized him from almost the get-go.
                            Ximmy's Mom's story sounds like a perfect example of why we should NOT bring home a puppy who has been taken too young. Humans just can't socialize pups the way the mother and littermates can, in those crucial early months of life. I am sorry that you had to go through that scariness and heartache but thank you for sharing your story so others might learn.
                            sigpic
                            Barbara
                            Mom to Skye, fawn (8) & Shane, black (7)
                            RIP Trisket, chi/pom mix, 1997-2011

Comment

I am so sorry you are faced with this, not sure I have constructive advice, just alot of hugs. I hate reading this threads I know it brings up the "what ifs" with everyone who has had to PTS a beloved pet for medical or behavioral issues. I know everyone remembers the moment that considering putting down their pet happens. I am not sure the that the if's ever really go away, they are only held a bay for me when I know I did everything I could at that time. I do have to remind myself often that playing Monday morning quarterback doesn't do any good. Please remember her turning on you was not personal, she obviously would challenge anyone and anytime for whatever the reason. I think that was my biggest heartbreak and reality check is when my rescue turned on me. It was at that moment I realized that no matter how much I loved him, he was not meant to live with humans.
                              I will be very matter of fact with you to help take away the emotional portion of you decision. It has been determined that your girl has a terminal illness. She also has behavioral issues from an unknown origin, to the point that humans are at risk. Both of these conditions independently of each other warrant any owner to consider euthanization. All the love and time will not change the her medical condition.
                              I am so sorry that your parents are not in agreement with you and that the burden of rehabbing her behavioral issues (if that is a consideration) falls on you, that is a very full plate and I am and not sure is realistic. It takes the support and vigilance of the entire household (usually a professional)to safely rehab any dog with these aggression/ behavior issues.
                              Only a fortunate few have unlimited financial resources when it comes to their pets, for most owners finances are a consideration with any issues that arise medical or otherwise. That is not to be judged by anyone, just a fact of life. I am sending you positive vibes that your employment situation changes, being unemployed is a huge burden of itself.
                              All this being said. I will share with you my situation with a dog I had that had severe hip dysplasia, she also was not a candidate for surgery because of my financial situation at the time. I chose to maximize the Rimadyl - even risking complications from the meds to optimize her pain management. I considered her a "hospice" patient. I did this after sharing this philsophy with her vet. I opted not to draw any labs to monitior kidney or liver function - some vets are uncomfortable with this plan. Fortunately my vet was. We only considered plan this because she did not have any behavioral issues, even in extreme pain she was not aggressive. This maybe an option for you if your are comfortable keeping her muzzled at all times. IMO living muzzled all the time not optimal qualtity of life for any animal.
                              I think that I can speak for most members here in saying we all understand you didn't take her into your heart with the intention on having to consider euthanization - no one does. It is the unfortunate reality of owning any animal, it is the ultimate risk we take. I do not question your love and devotion to her. There, I tried really hard to give "constructive advice" - so difficult at such a tough tough time, hang in there. Blow her a kiss from me. I am sending you many many hugs.
                              Last edited by myboy; 09-01-2010, 07:15 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Myboy RIP at 2 1/2 product of BYB

Comment

Working...
                              X