Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Travel Destinations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Travel Destinations?

We are starting to look for a place to vacation next April - as my sons spring break is the same as mine for once. My husband and I started to look at the Smoky Mountains- but they seem to be not very pet friendly. We have extended the search to the surrounding national forests, but I decided to seek for some advice. I can't seem to find much on the traditional dog websites. We are into historical sites, and prefer the less traveled places. We live in SE Michigan, and wold like to stay within a day's drive. Any help or suggestions would be so much appreciated!

i will assume you have checked out this site http://www.dogfriendly.com/? if not take a look, its great
    sigpic A dog has the soul of a philosopher ~ Plato

Comment

And here's a whole magazine for you:

www.fidofriendly.com/

Haven't read it, but the blurb says its a travel and lifestyle magazine for dog owners!

I went to a neat place in the Shenandoah Vally a few years ago. It's the Museum of Frontier Culture, a re-creation of the homes built by the early settlers -- English, Irish, and German -- to the area.

But what was really neat was they had outdoor kennels built under trees that had shade cloth "roofs" where your dogs could stay while you were walking through the musuem. Stainless steel water dishes, too. "Baby" loved it!

mp

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - I had checked out dogfriendly.com - great suggestions for housing and places to eat - but limited attractions list.although since I posted, I found a few more. FIDO friendly definitely deserves an in depth look! I appreciate the help - I don't want to bring the dog along if it means she can't hang most places with us.

Comment

If you are really thinking about the Smoky Mountains you could find a good campground and rent an RV. Last Christmas my husband and I rented an RV so we could travel with the dogs and we had a blast. It was all the convenience of a hotel (bed, toilet, shower, kitchen) but all the fun of camping (nature, campfires, hiking with the dogs). We rented through Cruise America and got a pretty good deal. With the campground fee and RV rental we paid less than $150 a day which is what a nice hotel would run anyway.

Comment

Have you ever been to the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota? Mount Rushmore doesn't allow dogs at the monument, but there are plenty of other things to do in the area. Many hiking trails and lakes, places to picnic and there are pet friendly hotels too! If you decide to go with this area, let me know if you have any questions...I live in the hills! I'll answer any questions. Good luck in making a decision! There are so many places to see in the US.

Comment

Working...
            X