A disservice to our breed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A disservice to our breed?

I have been thinking about this frequently and wonder if I am not alone in my thoughts.

In the wake of the recently crowned Guinness World's tallest dog I have been feeling as though the record may be doing a disservice to not only the Great Dane but to other breeds. There seems to be enough perpetual motion motivating people to desire extremes without adding this to the pot. I understand that society as a whole will always pursue and even breach the boundaries of what most consider normal. However, I cant help but feel like the sensationalizing of an extremely large dog, cow, horse, or even human brings more negative repercussions then anything else. People already have a skewed ideal as to what a Great Dane should be like, why contribute to that with the hoopla of a world record? At least some responsibility should be taken to convey that the dog is way beyond the normal and usually with such tremendous extremes there is usually a compromise in the health of the animal or even in humans of such an extreme size.

I think if used properly the position of record holder could be a valued asset to the animal world. With all the publicity received from the likes of Oprah, national news organizations, etc the right person could be a valued spokes person or avenue to educate the masses.

What do you think?
    Michelle & Roman

A cackle is a giggle with authority.

sigpic

I do believe it gives people the wrong impression on what is correct for the breed but it also gives breed exposure. I hope the average person whould knows the record breaker is so because they are way above average, I remeber they put an average sized dane next to one of the old record holders.
    I personally don't believe the current world record holder is anything over 38 or 39 inches since they posted a picture of where he was measured for some reason I can't find the link, I also believe I have seen taller better built danes out there

Comment

Originally posted by Enhanced View Post
      I have been thinking about this frequently and wonder if I am not alone in my thoughts.

In the wake of the recently crowned Guinness World's tallest dog I have been feeling as though the record may be doing a disservice to not only the Great Dane but to other breeds. There seems to be enough perpetual motion motivating people to desire extremes without adding this to the pot. I understand that society as a whole will always pursue and even breach the boundaries of what most consider normal. However, I cant help but feel like the sensationalizing of an extremely large dog, cow, horse, or even human brings more negative repercussions then anything else. People already have a skewed ideal as to what a Great Dane should be like, why contribute to that with the hoopla of a world record? At least some responsibility should be taken to convey that the dog is way beyond the normal and usually with such tremendous extremes there is usually a compromise in the health of the animal or even in humans of such an extreme size.

I think if used properly the position of record holder could be a valued asset to the animal world. With all the publicity received from the likes of Oprah, national news organizations, etc the right person could be a valued spokes person or avenue to educate the masses.

What do you think?
      I agree. I wish that the largest Great Dane record holder's owners would use their position as a platform to advocate responsible breeding and rescue. And that people interested in a Great Dane should pursue health, and responsibly bred Great Danes or rescued Great Danes rather than those Great Danes that fit the novelty of the biggest on the block. Nothing irks me more when I hear someone that says their number one priority when getting a Great Dane is size...the bigger the better. It's a pet peeve of mine. Health and temperment and conforming to the correct breed standard should be number one...(if going through a breeder). JMHO.
      ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Heres the link to the current holder

http://www.giantgeorge.com/
        Michelle & Roman

sigpic

Comment

The video that I watched which was aired on the local news of the town that the record setter was from clearly stated that the Dane was not the normal and discussed the weight and height variations between that of the "average" dane and the dane in question. I don't know if we can/should expect better than that from a society where we strive for bigger, better, faster, stronger in every aspect of our lives. Regardless of how the owner of this great dane handles the situation you are always going to have people who want the biggest or heaviest. Advocating responsible breeding is needed and I am grateful for everyone on this forum that lives and breathes to better the lives of danes of today and helps to preserve this treatment for the danes of tomorrow. Unfortunately in the Guiness Book Venue, you are not going to find a lot of people who set records and then advise others to not try and "compete" with those records.

Ryan
          sigpic

Comment

I think you give too much credit to the breeder who can accomplish this on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by DPU View Post
              I think you give too much credit to the breeder who can accomplish this on purpose.
              That's a good point. Unless this person got said dog from rescue...then would a Guinness book size Great Dane really be coming from a reputable breeding program?

And if someone really cared about reputable breeding programs, would they have the dog to begin with? So unless they had an ah ha moment post purchase...
              ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

DPU,

Good point but somewhere lurking in the shadows is a BYB that will try. In their efforts they will ruin many dogs along the way. Its a genetic labyrinth at best...
                Michelle & Roman

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2Dori View Post
                  That's a good point. Unless this person got said dog from rescue...then would a Guinness book size Great Dane really be coming from a reputable breeding program?

And if someone really cared about reputable breeding programs, would they have the dog to begin with? So unless they had an ah ha moment post purchase...
                  I agree, and this is why I really wanted Titan (RIP) to keep the record...he was a rescue with A LOT of issues. His owner really could have shown the world that bigger isn't always better.

When I meet people at the dog park, they ask me if I've heard of Giant George. I always respond, "Unfortunately, I have."
                  Katie & Scarlett
                  sigpic

Comment

They did do away with the heaviest dog category a few years ago so that less people would fatten up their pets and ruin their health and more, just to break a record. But yes, I think you are right that the tallest record in many ways does not help the breed .
                    Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

I think if george was mine I would be the perfect person to educate LOL JK. When someone brings up how short andross is I always have to give them a huge lecture on how he will be average size and that's better than bigger than average. I seriously think I talk so many people ears off at the dog park that no one dares say andross is small anymore. I mean I'm not rude about it but I think I annoy the heck out of them hahahaha.

And ya katie I do the samething when someon asks me about george. Normally we are at the park with my friends 39" dane and I always point out that George is about a little taller than the 6'1 owners in seam now unless that man has a 40" inseam I'm not buying it. He doesn't have a 40" inseam anyways he would have to be way taller than 6'1". My friends 39" dane comes up to his 6'2" owners belt. So some how georges measurements are really off. Also if you took too georges and stacked them on top of eachother he they would not be taller than his owner. The math 43+43=86" now by looking at george next to his owner u could double his height and georgex2 would not be as tall as his owner which would mean I if george was really 43" his owner would have to be 7'+ inches tall. Did you guys ever see the big blue dane from austrailia???
                      sigpic Little boy!

Comment

You all know Bean has applied for the title, right?
                        sigpic
                        In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                        Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                          Yes, and not a moment too soon!!!! I know Moni would use her powers for good.
                          Katie & Scarlett
                          sigpic

Comment

That's awesome! It would be great to see a DOL'er and her dog have the title and use the attention to educate. Plus Green Bean is so much more handsome than Giant George!!

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                              Go Green Bean !

Comment

Working...
                              X