This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1,500.00 Rehoming Fee!

I'm just wondering how many of you consider $1,500.00 for a dog you are rehoming an appropiate fee? To me, it is selling your dog.

Rehoming fees are a way to try to assure the animal is placed in a good home. $1,500.00 seems like a for sale price.
    Rehoming the dog
    1.85%
    Selling the dog
    98.15%
    sigpic
    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

CRAP Sorry I am dumb I meant to hit 1500 to me would be considered SELLING THE DOG. My phone accidently scrolled up at the last second and I hit the wrong one.
    sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Crap is right! Can we fix it?
      sigpic
      www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
      http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
      Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

It is selling the dog, no question about it. To be a fly on the wall at that house.
        sigpic
        Lori, Desi & Grimm
        RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
        Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
        Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Def. selling.
          ~Angie~
          sigpic

My baby Dane...ROXY

Comment

Definitely selling a dog and selling the dog at profit. There definitely is no love loss for the poor dog. OMG, talk about coincidence, in my area, there is a Great Dane named Jerry being sold for $1,500, poorly raised but comes from a quality breeder. Never thought I would see that and being sold from a rescue no less.
            Last edited by DPU; 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaphneandRoscoe View Post
              Crap is right! Can we fix it?
              It won't let me revote haha. I'm such a dumby. Sad because I'm the only person who thinks its not a sell when I would be the first person to chew someones head off for listing a dog for 1,500.
              sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Originally posted by DPU View Post
                Definitely selling a dog and selling the dog at profit. There definitely is no love loss for the poor dog. OMG, talk about coincidence, in my area, there is a Great Dane named Jerry being sold for $1,500, poorly raised but comes from a quality breeder. Never thought I would see that and being sold from a rescue no less.
                Meeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooow.

Comment

that's totally selling the dog, even if the dog required a huge amount of vet bills, I would assume a fundraiser would be more appropriate. I am guessing this is one of those rehoming fees that includes the dogs papers with option to breed. I see a of of that on Craigslist. I don't believe rehoming fees should be over the standard, vetting, which can be higher if it includes a plexy and no animal should ever be rehomed intact IMO.
                  I found a female Cane Corso pup on Craigslist, I e-mailed then and got a 1200 rehoming fee I never e-mailed back

Comment

I think we need to clarify terms here...

When I think rehome, I think private owner for whatever reason needs to find a new home for the dog. Money goes to the owner for whatever.

In my mind, rescues are not rehoming dogs, they adopt dogs out. The money there goes back in to the rescue to help other dogs.
                    Now, if I saw a dog on a rescue website and the rescue was asking a $1500 donation for that dog and all the others were less than half that much, I would definitely wonder what's up.

And also breeders sometimes end up with adult dogs - either ones they kept and didn't work out in the ring, or ones they have taken back who would make great family pets. Not sure what to call that - breeder rehome?

So I guess my question is, where is the $1500 going to? If its going to a legitimate rescue, I think its steep, but I'm more okay with it than if its going to a person who just couldn't keep their dog.
                    I'm also okay with paying that much (or more) to a legitimate, ethical breeder since they have put the money in to bettering the breed, and will remain a resource to me throughout the life of the dog.
                    Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                    - Anatole France

Comment

Since it was brought to my attention what the rescue is asking for Jerry and about this post, I will respond.

I have no control over what they are requesting. I have control over where Jerry goes. He was just tacked by them day before yesterday.

It is not unusual for rescue's to ask more for more highly adoptable dogs to ofset those that are not (like Bibidi at our rescue whose been there 6 months) or have higher medical bills (like Smoke at our rescue).

I don't get a dime from his adoption fee and didn't set the price.

Comment

Not to be punchy, but why would someone pay $1500 for a dog with behavioral issues when they could buy a reputable puppy for that same amount and train it themselves? I have never heard of a rescue charging $1500 for a dog. IMO, that is insane.
                        Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                        Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                        RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crdane View Post
                          Not to be punchy, but why would someone pay $1500 for a dog with behavioral issues when they could buy a reputable puppy for that same amount and train it themselves? I have never heard of a rescue charging $1500 for a dog. IMO, that is insane.
                          Have you met Jerry???

His issues are specific to my house. I hardly consider playing too rough with dogs and being too much dog for smaller children, behavioral issues. He is an excellent, well trained dog who deserves the right home.

Comment

It was nothing against you or Jerry, I am sure he is a great dog. I am just amazed that a rescue would charge that much. I personally would buy a puppy if I was spending that kind of money. What rescue is it that is placing him?
                            Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                            Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                            RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crdane View Post
                              It was nothing against you or Jerry, I am sure he is a great dog. I am just amazed that a rescue would charge that much. I personally would buy a puppy if I was spending that kind of money. What rescue is it that is placing him?
                              Great Dane Rescue Midwest.

He's charged more for younger dogs before, he seldom gets one in this healthy with this kind of training. After spending the day with him and realizing how perfect he is he set the fee higher. I hope he gets it, they take such a loss every year, it would be nice to see them at least break even.

The tack alone costs 500 that he puts into every dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X