Are Danes good running buddies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Danes good running buddies?

Do Danes like to jog along side their master? Is there any problem with this? Or is it better to just have a Dane as your walking buddy?

Depends on how fast you run i guess. lol. Seriously tho as long as it is not forced and they are grown I dont see why it would cause a problem.
    sigpicHarley

Comment

My understanding is that you should wait until they are 2 yrs old or pretty much done growing.

That being said, it's somewhat depressing to use them as a running buddy. At least it was for me. I'd be puffing along, doing my best, what I thought was a pretty good pace and Zinn would be walking beside me. SO DEPRESSING!
      **Lindsey and Zinn**

Comment

Ry gets so excited to run. He will jump up and down and do circles. Just a warning that it might take a bit of work to transition from walking to running.

Wait until your Danes are over 2 to start running.
        sigpic

Comment

Okay. Thank you all! I was just worried that with their long legs and all if it would be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by lmbcr22 View Post
            I'd be puffing along, doing my best, what I thought was a pretty good pace and Zinn would be walking beside me. SO DEPRESSING!
            DITTO! Capone loves going running, but it's hard to keep him at a decent pace because a good speed for me is quite slow for him!
            sigpic
            Jules
            Capone & Sookie

Comment

I must admit that Mags will only jog for 10 minutes with my son before she starts slowing down on him to the point where he's dragging her along. Maybe she needs conditioning first. I guess I thought, as a dog, that she'd be able to do 20 minutes, no problem! She was only 2 at the time. Either that or she's just LAZY!

Comment

I plan to jog with Charlie, but it will take a while to get her in shape. Since she was tied up for so long, she gets tired from a five minute walk.
                sigpicMom to: Lo and Isobel (cats); Ella (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel); Charlie (Great Dane)

Comment

Minimum of 20 months to start running (24 preffered). Start with SHORT sessions and add a few min each week. Build up to a full workout. Always pack water and be aware of your dogs surroundings -INCLUDING the outside temp.

My Harl-bear is shaping up to be a good runner, he loves it. But you must always taylor the workout to fit YOUR dog. Don't push too hard. Have fun!
                  sigpic
                  "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
                  ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
                  Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

Scarlett gets excited during a run. On the bike she can only go for 20 minutes before she's exhausted.
                    Katie & Scarlett
                    sigpic

Comment

This is great to know.. I would love to do running with my future dane. Of course at the appropriate age, so for now I would have to run solo.
                      I would assume it be a run for me and a walk for my baby LOL.. Seeing I am NOT a fast runner!
                      sigpic

Comment

I am counting down the months til Murphy can run with me. I love running with a dog! 10 more months to go though. You're right though...my running is really just a slow trot for him.

For now, he goes to bootcamp with me. He loves it!
                        sigpic
                        Debbie & Murphy

Comment

My husband runs with Annika every morning for around 25 minutes. I know we are pushing it since she is 12 months now but if she doesn't go running she paces and gets into everything all day. It's a nightmare. Perhaps we have created a super-fit monster!?
                          sigpic
                          Annika

Comment

Okay this threasd totally reminds me of a story my sister told me the other day...

She was working and saw a lady running with her Dane. All of a sudden the dog stepped in front of the lady and she went sprawling on the ground. And the dog just stood over her staring down at the lady like "why are you on the ground". My sister asked her if she was okay but she only had a skinned up knee and bruised ego. lol...

So anyways I could totally see this happening to me..so walking is all we do.

Comment

Originally posted by JuJeeMD View Post
                              DITTO! Capone loves going running, but it's hard to keep him at a decent pace because a good speed for me is quite slow for him!
                              yup, I have the same problem with Bambi!!!!!!!!!!
                              Teresa n
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X