How to make paw print? Paw "cast"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make paw print? Paw "cast"?

How do I make a paw print? If ink is the best way to go, what kind is safe/best to use on a dog?

What about a paw cast? Once, I bought a kit, but it wasn't big enough for a Dane's paw!!

any suggestions are welcome!!
    Aspens Good Girl Sophie, "Sophie" 11/16/02-6/6/13
    goodgirlboutique.com

Originally posted by keebert View Post
    How do I make a paw print? If ink is the best way to go, what kind is safe/best to use on a dog?

What about a paw cast? Once, I bought a kit, but it wasn't big enough for a Dane's paw!!

any suggestions are welcome!!
    I don't know about the print as I think any ink would inevitably end up onany floor surface we have and my wife would kill me and then the dog.

In the past I've seen a person take a dog to a big puddle of mud and let it walk through (the dog looked like it was in 7th Heaven). She later went back and filled it with plaster of Paris. This mold was then used to make a reverse mold of the paw print.

Not sure if it's what you were looking for or any help but it's a start.

Comment

Paw print

I would definatly go with the Plaster of Paris or another product called Fixall. You will have to do alittle experimenting with drying time and the amount of product to water ratio. Wait untill the cast is the thickness of putty. For best results put plenty of lotion on your dog's paw and press gently into the casting. This is so the paw will release from the casting without distorting it. The casting is harmless as long as you wash it off immediatly.
      Nothing special just doing what I can
      No extra credit for just being a man

Comment

We made one with some left over cement when we built our deck. I used a trimmed piece from one of the cardboard footer forms. We put in the cement and Andre stepped in it (with help). Then we washed his foot off really well. It's cute and we use it as a stepping stone.
        sigpicAndre post run, and ready for more!
        Loki 7/2002-3/2013
        Clyde 3/2003-8/2013
        Andre ~5/2006
        Bob the cat

Comment

all good ideas!
          goodgirlboutique.com

Comment

I used black fabric paint. I had the paint smeared at the bottom of a pie pan for my labrador. Then had the tshirt I was using laid flat on the floor in front of me. I had a bunch of newspaper covering the floor (did it indoors because the weather was crummy, would have preferred outside). I pressed the paw into the pan (it was not deep in paint, just enough to get a good print) then immediately onto the tshirt. Then slid the tshirt out of the way and put the dog's paw down onto the newspaper to blot off what little excess there was. Because the paw wasn't dripping in paint, the excess pressed off very easily and quickly. Then rubbed with a rag. I was only getting one print though, not all over the shirt. Just had to move quickly and have stuff all lined up. If doggie's foot doesn't fit in a pan, perhaps paint smeared on a cutting board.
            sigpic
            Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

as far as doing a print with ink, i would recomend a dye based ink, because they air dry, and a pigment based ink needs to be dried with a heat gun. both are avail at craft stores and the dye based are usually non toxic. . . (worked at micheals craft store while i was in college )
              sigpic
              -Jamye: wife to Eddy; mom to Windsor (Great Dane), Dyna (Great Dane), Holley (Dsh Cat), Oogis (Maine Coon)

Comment

cool, thanks! Will def. be trying some of these ideas out!
                goodgirlboutique.com

Comment

i used regular house paint or acrylic paint and painted his paw with a brush then put it down on a canvas and i did it outside then we hosed his feet off right after and now i have a cute canvas of gunny's baby paws, ill do the plaster kit with both dogs when theyre full grown
                  sigpic
                  !< @ + e

Comment

Working...
                  X