Has anyone dealt with swine flu?...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone dealt with swine flu?...

My 14 yr. old daughter has a nasty flu bug. There were a few confirmed cases of swine flu at her school, so her doctor said that is probably what were're dealing with. Her doctor doesn't test anymore since it is so widespread.

Her fever keeps going up and down. She wakes up fine, maybe 99.0 to 100.2, but as the day progresses, it goes back up to the 102.4 range. She has a bad cough, and gets a headache from the coughing. Advil does bring the fever down, and gets rid of the headache, so that helps.

It all started on Saturday, with her highest fever being 103.8 on Monday night. And she is soooo tired. I think this is the most sick she has ever been. Thank God she has shown no delirium, so her doctor said not to worry unless her fever hits 105.

I know that the flu brings high fevers, but it's still scary.
    Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

from what we are being told as Veterinarians, swine flu is no more severe than the other flu viruses we already have, it's just a new one. That's why the news is covering it, because it's new and a lot of people are becoming sick as their bodies have never seen this strain before. I would just treat her as her doctor advises and keep a close eye on her fever.

I hope she gets well soon!
    sigpic
    Crystal
    Owned by:
    Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
    CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
    Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
    Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

We think my hubby and I had it... But didn't go to the doctor's to comfirm it. We were sick for 2-3 weeks each and for a few days during the first week, we were in such agony and literally had to be helped out of bed. We had fevers and all the other stuff. We just treated it like any other fever.

Comment

My oldest had it back in June, along with pneumonia. They tested, he was positive and started on Tamiflu. He was also on 2 antibiotics, but that was for the pneumonia. His fever topped out at 103.9.

Fluids...fluids...fluids. Advil/Motrin/Tylenol (whatever works for your child - not all, lol), for the fever & aches. Rest. Lots of rest, inside, in the ac. Fluids...fluids...fluids. Food as tolerated, no dairy products with the fever.

Rest & fluids.

BTW...did I say fluids?
        Stella (Merle), Zeus (Blue)
        Noogie-Boogie (Doxxie)
        Kasey (Pug aka: the turd)

The Felines: Precious, Chloe & Ray
        At the Bridge: Fluffy, Brandy, Tiffany, Gizmo, Woof, Scrappy, Duke, Shay, Cleo, Vader, Pepper, Conner

Comment

Here's a tip for avoiding the Swine Flu..... DON'T DO THIS!
          Attached Files

Comment

The doctor's office I work for quit testing for it as well. The treatment is the same as any other flu, but it takes us 10 days to get a positive result back. Lots of fluids, rest, and tamiflu...

Comment

Originally posted by lurchmom View Post
              That picture is hilarious! Really made me laugh. The child has her tongue out.

Comment

Hilarious!!!!
                Was that at your place?!

Kwhit, I hope your daughter feels better soon.
                Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                - Anatole France

Comment

Funny picture. I hope your Daughter feels better. Hang in there. My kids have been back to school already 1 week and my daughter is getting a cold already.
                  Donna Campbell
                  "Heinrich" - Dane
                  "Frankee" - Bassett

Comment

Hope your dd is feeling better soon. I never treat a fever unless it is like 105....a fever is very important to help heal. Make sure she stays very hydrated and rested.

Comment

Working...
                    X