Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes. We rescued our first ever Dane last November 2016. He was 11 months then.
    sigpic

Comment

• Yes, I have

Comment

• Yes. His name is Harley, he's now 4 months old and doing well. I've had him 5 weeks today and he's gained 16 lbs on cooked boned chicken, beef liver, cooked ground beef, dry kibble and love. He was almost 12 lbs underweight when he rescued me so I'm gratified to see his progress. He's right on his ideal weight now while he continues to grow.

Comment

• We rescued one small male Dane (Tucker) when he was 4 years old; rescued a female 9-month old bull mastiff shortly after gettiing Tucker. They were great pals! Then when Tucker was 8 we had to say goodbye to him. Then we adopted an 8 year old female Dane who would have been 10 years old in December, but we had to put to sleep recently. (She had cancer.) So after much searching we have found a Dane through Great Dane Club of Greater Kansas City. Now our new boy will be just barely 2 years old, and I’m figuring I might have a little more to deal with than the other two I’ve lived with. This guy is about 162 lbs, mantle markings. We will be picking him up the day after he is neutered, then driving home (3-hour drive). Does anyone have any advice about what behaviors to look for or just anything I should be wary about? We have a crate ready to go—but I don’t think he’s ever been in one. Our dogs live inside and we accompanny them when they go outside. I just wondered if there were any definite DOs or DONTs for the dogs meeting and co-existing. I’m not sure of the maturity level of a 2-year old Dane.

Comment

• Make sure to introduce in a neutral area..Supervise well for the first month or so.. Never allow them alone together. Be ready to intervene if needed. Thanks for rescuing
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
            X