Big Dog play group in MD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Dog play group in MD

marinewife05's thread this morning has inspired me - does anyone know of any big dog play groups in central Maryland? Or have any suggestions of how I might find one? I checked meetup.com but the only group was a mastiff group that hasn't had an event since 2008. And I'm not going to pay on that site to start one. Thanks!
    Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
    Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

What part of central Maryland are you in? I am from Frederick Maryland and still live about 45 minutes away from there. I am willing to drive a bit for a playdate anytime on the weekends! I know there are some pretty great dog parks in the Frederick/Gaithersburg area.
    sigpicSteeler and Kelly

He is your best friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    ~Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler Jackson View Post
      What part of central Maryland are you in? I am from Frederick Maryland and still live about 45 minutes away from there. I am willing to drive a bit for a playdate anytime on the weekends! I know there are some pretty great dog parks in the Frederick/Gaithersburg area.
      Well I'm new to Maryland (just got here in April) so I'm still learning the proximity of everything - I lived my whole life in Colorado until now and it's pretty much an hour drive to any other town of size in that state. Here things are all sort of mushed together. We live on Fort Meade and we regularly drive to Annapolis to go to quiet waters dog park. I'd say we're willing to drive up to 30 minutes or so for a meetup? How far would you say Frederick/Gaithersburg is from Ft. Meade?

Comment

Quiet Waters is such a nice park. Of course, my Danes hate water so it's mostly a trip for my lab but we do it every few weeks (it's about an hour drive for us) so he can swim and play with fun dogs since his brothers are boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2FiveBIGDogs View Post
          Quiet Waters is such a nice park. Of course, my Danes hate water so it's mostly a trip for my lab but we do it every few weeks (it's about an hour drive for us) so he can swim and play with fun dogs since his brothers are boring.
          Ha ha! Leo USED to hate water, but when his "big" brother, Valor, who weighs 8.5 lbs, goes bounding in Leo hates to get left behind. He never goes deep enough to swim, but he'll run around in it up to his chest.

Comment

Ha ha! Leo USED to hate water, but when his "big" brother, Valor, who weighs 8.5 lbs, goes bounding in Leo hates to get left behind. He never goes deep enough to swim, but he'll run around in it up to his chest.
            Only my lab & pit bull will venture into water. Now, my Danes will walk into the shower stall for their baths without protest but not "big, scary water". I don't take the pitty to offleash parks because I don't think it's very responsible to do so with his breed...so it's just a special day for the lab (and the human kid loves it too) when we go to Quiet Waters.

Speaking of that place, how 'bout those creepy water snakes? I do NOT love those things. My lab thinks they are just so much fun & wants to play with them.

Comment

Well, as I said earlier, I'm new to MD and not familiar with the wildlife yet - I haven't actually seen a snake at quiet waters yet, although I did see one at a friends beach house near the water so I'm not surprised they'd be at quiet waters too. Both Valor and Leo would probably be a little too excited about that, so I'll have to keep my eye out.

Comment

Well, as I said earlier, I'm new to MD and not familiar with the wildlife yet - I haven't actually seen a snake at quiet waters yet, although I did see one at a friends beach house near the water so I'm not surprised they'd be at quiet waters too. Both Valor and Leo would probably be a little too excited about that, so I'll have to keep my eye out.
                I didn't THINK I'd seen a snake there either until one of the sticks / drift wood pieces my dog grabbed started trying to get away...then they were everywhere I looked. They are very icky. Harmless, I believe but not what you want your pups playing with.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mom2FiveBIGDogs;437206] one of the sticks / drift wood pieces my dog grabbed started trying to get away...[=Quote]

Comment

Hey: We are in Laurel, MD. It is a 10-15 minute drive to Ft. Meade. We have a 1 year old Black Female Great Dane. We would be interested in joining in on the big dog play group if you get one formed.

Comment

Originally posted by bdl1227 View Post
                      Hey: We are in Laurel, MD. It is a 10-15 minute drive to Ft. Meade. We have a 1 year old Black Female Great Dane. We would be interested in joining in on the big dog play group if you get one formed.

Ah! We were at the dog park in Laurel for the first time last night and I think someone else was telling us about you! Lol! We are leaving for Quiet Waters today at 1:00 (be there a little before 2) if you're interested!

Comment

Hi Misty and BDL1227,

I live in the MD area and know about a couple of big dog playgroups. I walk regularly with 1 other dane owner here just about every saturday and sunday in parks with our danes. And I go to the MD City-Laurel dog park pretty often, but less lately because its been so hot and Zinn can't take it.

If either of you would like to PM me and set up a play date, I also have a google group of danes in the area that I could invite. I don't know their danes as well as I know the one I see every weekend, but we've met up a couple of times with success.

Anyways, PM if you like!
                        **Lindsey and Zinn**

Comment

Working...
                        X