Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And this is why people go to bad breeders!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is why people go to bad breeders!

Hey guys it's your long time member that's hardly here anymore but guess what! I'm getting an itch for another Dane. I still have Mira (my mantle merle) but I'm missing a big ol' sweet boy in my life.

So I was just skimming across some Danes that need homes and are currently in rescue. Well I can't adopt them b/c I have kids under the age of 8! but I read this

"If you have children under 8, a list of reputable breeder's to contact for a puppy is available at the XXX"

Really? That's a good way to kick people when they are down and not give dog's a great home. I might have 3 year old twin girls but I assure you, they know how to behave around a dog better then most adults I have met. This makes me sad. Luckily the breeder I got Mira from does a ton of rescue work so I'll probably go through her anyways but this is just sad...
    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

I think often its a liability issue. Also, I know some rescues say that but sometimes will work around it if the potential adoptee is willing to do it. It does suck, but I do understand why they do it.

Comment

Most rescues if you approach them and form a relationship. Show them your knowledgeable and your children are used to and react well to large dogs will make an exception. After many house visits I am sure. Problem is... this is a lot of work and it makes people who would often go through a reputable rescue and give a great dog a home decide against it and pick up a puppy from the paper.

I have seen some ... silly rescue guidelines. Have to be over 30 years old. Have to prove employment for up to 1 year. Right now you can show employment for 10 years and with this economy you could be laid off tomorrow. I know their hearts are in the right place but the face value can initially turn people off because they do not "fit the guidelines" and often are not aware they will be bent for the right homes.
      sigpic

Comment

Hey, welcome back....I wanna see pictures of the girls !!!
        Andi

Comment

I know your frustrations! I tried to adopt the second dog (didn't really matter what breed) and everytime we were rejected! Oh, you work so you can't possibly care for a pup, or your fenced in area isn't big enough, or you don't have a fence at all or you can't have a male dog b/c they will fight. I am all for rescue, but seriously?! I got so frustrated by it all!

Comment

It is sad when rescues turn you down because you have kids. I personally think that it should say that they will not adopt to people that do not have dog savvy children. In your home, you have a dane already, your girls know how to act around her as well as your other 3 dogs. It does make it hard for people that aren't willing to go to such extremes. I do understand why the rescues have these rules in place but, there should be some leeway when choosing the right adopter.
            sigpic

Comment

I am one of those people who "on paper" doesn't look like a great option, but like Faust said, most rescues will work with you - hence the home visit. They have to be careful, there are a lot of unscrupulous or just plain irresponsible people out there, and rescue dogs have often already been through enough.
              Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
              - Anatole France

Comment

Very Sad

You would think they would question you on your dog experience and fromt there make the decision. It is a shame cause a lot of rescues have trouble finding people to take the dogs for various reasons (Old, limp, owner didn't want they ? etc..). So when I see a good person trying to help a lovely dog and be turned down because they have kids it's sad.

Comment

Dogs come in to rescue for many different reasons, but the one thing that stays the same is the lack of knowledge of how EXACTLY they have been raised.

That is a HUGE liability to both the rescue and the potential new home.
                  sigpicSara Dellorto, Sardi Great Danes (VBIS CH Sardi's Too Hot To Handle, aka Jayne)

Comment

Did you contact them and talk to them personally? Many rescues make exceptions for folks with young children who already have danes and dane experience.
                    sigpic
                    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Contact them...you never know until you try. With MAGDRL, the age limit varies from dog to dog...we test them with children and many other things. So I'd talk to them, as it may be more on a dog to dog basis...

Good luck!
                      ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

I agree with the others...because I do small scale rescue in my area I also have a no children under 8 policy but it varies from person to person...

I have written that exceptions are made, and I evaluate each person as an individual...

Most of the time people who have or have had the breed and have younger children I still adopt to, but those that have never had a large breed and also have small children, I say no most of the time...because no matter how great a dog acts with children when you do an evaulation for temperament, it CAN change, and that is a liability...

OHH and welcome back...even though I am new here
                        sigpic
                        Paula Z, Gunner CGC, Borealis Rus Enzo Ferrari Oraz CGC "Enzo" and RauDane's Dressed for Success CGC "Jacqard"

Gone But Not Forgotten Shadow1998-1999(Dobe), Bones1996-2006(GD), Oreo1994-2008(GD), Gowin1998-2009(GD), Sallie1998-2010(GD), Zoey1999-2010(GSD), Boston2008-2010(Am. Bull) Morgan1998-2010(GD)

Comment

People’s lack of understanding doesn’t negate a rescue’s responsibility of placing their dogs in the best homes as they see it.

Walk a mile in their shoes. It’s possible they've tried to place dogs in homes with young kids and got repeatedly burned.

A rescue (or responsible breeder) cannot please everyone. They can only try to do right by the dogs in their care. "What's right" varies in opinion as the people involved have different experiences they bring to the table.

I might not agree with every rescue's adoption requirements, but I still respect their efforts and commitments.

It's most certainly not a rescue's fault that someone would choose to support an irresponsible breeder.

Bev
                          Bev
                          Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                          sigpic

Comment

I think that rescues are wonderful. They do try to help place the animals in a loving home. And, I understand that they need to check everyone out so that the poor animal doesn't go thru what it just did again. But, I also found that the process was very hard. When I first started looking for a dane I checked out the local rescues. It seemed like the best way to go. You know, giving a dog a home & love that needs it. But, the paper work & questions & rules & restrictions & home visits were enough to run anybody away. One rescue even made a joke on the application about needing your DNA because the process was so detailed.
                            sigpic
                            Roxy & Ace

Comment

I understand why the guidelines are in place, and now that I'm a bit older and wiser, I accept those guidelines.

I never sent my application to a rescue because I live in the city and don't have a fenced in yard, and the dog would be home during the day, crated while I am at work, and I had zero hands-on dane experience. I was bitter about it at the time because I really wanted to rescue.

BUT...we have a ton of parks within a 5-10 minute walk from the office and from home, I come home at lunch for a quick play and walk and Scarlett often comes with me to the office for the day (she's was here yesterday, today, and will be here tomorrow too). Even though my hands-on experience was nil, I had done a ton of research and was extremely passionate about wanting a dane, and I was incredibly realistic about the commitment of owning a dane, as opposed to any other breed.

Maybe if I had sent my application in, I would have been approved since exceptions can be made. But since this is my first dog EVER, I'm glad I did end up going through a breeder.

I'll definitely rescue in the future, though. Just for fun, I looked at an application yesterday and felt so much more equipped to answer the questions honestly and intelligently.
                              Katie & Scarlett
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X