Ticked Off at My Vet--NDR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticked Off at My Vet--NDR

Willow, our choc. lab, has a rash on her belly that started a few days ago. It's not bad, but since we're bringing Chaucer home on Saturday, we wanted to make sure it wasn't anything either serious or contagious. So...off to the vet. The woman we usually see, the one I've bragged about and referred folks to, wasn't in, so we saw another vet, also a woman. We saw her once before, and she was OK, so I wasn't concerned. She looked Willow over, commented on how beautiful her coat was, diagnosed her rash as a "skin infection" and prescribed Cephalexin. I asked, at that point, if it was contagious and explained about Chaucer. She said it wasn't and asked what kind of puppy we were getting. That's where things fall apart.

"A great dane."
    "A great dane?"
    "Yes, a great dane."
    "I assume you know how many health problems they have." :: insert a visual of the vet lowering her chin and shaking her head back and forth ::
    "Yes, " I reply. "We've done a lot of research."
    "They bloat. Did you know that? And they have heart problems."
    "Yes, I know. We're prepared for that. We plan to have him pexyied."
    "Hmmmm. Interesting."
    "Do you do that? Pexying?"
    "Yes."
    "Oh good! Any idea what that will run us when the time comes?" :: insert visual of me, smiling ::
    "If you have to ask, you can't afford a dane. Are you sure you've thought about this?"
    "Quite sure. I'm assuming you don't see large breed dogs." :: insert visual of me clenching my teeth and holding Willow's lead a little tighter::
    "No. I have artificial knees and can't give them a good exam."
    "Ah....understood. Well, we'll be back on Monday to see Dr. Kate. Have to go and buy the last things, food, etc. What would YOU feed a large breed puppy?" :: insert visual of me still clenching my teeth and bracing for her answer ::
    "Definitely a large breed puppy food. When I graduated from vet school, they fed large breed puppies supplements, but realized that the supplements were causing growth problems. Dog food companies stepped in and reworked their formulas for large breed puppies. They hire nutrionists who know what they are doing. Any large breed puppy food would be good."
    "Not adult food?"
    "No. Never. Old school of thought. Are you sure you've thought about this?"

O
    M
    G
    I am NOT a happy camper.
    Last edited by MistyLyn; 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM.

Sigh...I am so amazed by how little some vets know about this breed. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, but your dialogue was very well-written and entertaining! I especially like the facial visuals!

Here's hoping you regular vet knows more than this lady!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Faye413 View Post
      Sigh...I am so amazed by how little some vets know about this breed. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, but your dialogue was very well-written and entertaining! I especially like the facial visuals!

Here's hoping you regular vet knows more than this lady!!!
      Hi most vets do not know alot about every breed.They know the canine thats why a good vet as mine will listen to the owners and the breeders as they know about their breed.Mistylyn how you kept your cool i do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by daneslave View Post
        Hi most vets do not know alot about every breed.They know the canine thats why a good vet as mine will listen to the owners and the breeders as they know about their breed.Mistylyn how you kept your cool i do not know.
        The ONLY reason I didn't reach out and thwap her on the forehead was because I knew we were seeing Dr. Kate on Monday. ARRRGGGGH.

Comment

Wow.. I do not mine uninformed people, but I do mind ignorant people. Not to mention people who are in a position of authority and respect who do not do the proper research and make remarks that the average owner would take as law. This is exactly why I researched finding my vet for about a month and asked many dane owners who they recommended. I am normally very polite and respectful even in public when people make statements but a vet making them would push me past the hot head point.
          sigpic

Comment

I also gotta kick out of your commentary. I hope your normal vet is more helpful. :-)
            sigpic Brenda
            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Hopefully your normal vet is more helpful. Loved your commentary on how you were reacting.
              sigpic

Comment

The part that would have made me furious is the 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' line! Holy C%#&, do they not value an informed client? There can be huge swings in procedure prices at vets, it is a reasonable question to ask, yet this vet was being totally patronizing.
                sigpic
                Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

The sad part about that whole story is, it's how SO many Vets react to such questions. It's so frustrating. Hell, my Vet reacts the same way with the same ignorant answers and unfortunately, I work for her! The only thing that keeps me there is the other two Vets in the office are not that way.
                  Lisa & "The Boys"

Comment

Posts like this make me thank God everyday for my vets!
                    There is one there that isn't my fav, but thank goodness she's on maternity leave

"...none of us know what private hell or hardships the next person may have endured or faces even now. We should never aim even the tiniest arrow at a heart that may be more fragile than we know..." Janice

Comment

Well luckily there is Dr. Kate!!!

Comment

do you think that some vets take a "How to be rude to your clients" class??? I had a vet do this exact same thing to me. I also had the same vet chew me out for having a dobe with cropped ears (which is an EXTREMEMLY sensitive subject for me) so to say the least, I do not see her anymore..... what a wench....grr....

Comment

Great job keeping your cool! I hope you have a better visit with Dr. Kate on Monday.
                          Melisa, Bentley and Ella
                          www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Comment

I dont know how so many people can take a vets word for law. I had an argument with every vet I saw while Krypt was sick. Including the emergency vet, who went on a tangent saying 'well what does a breeder know, I was professionally trained' my answer was 'they know how their line of dogs health issues and drug reactions that you have no way of knowing until you kill the dog'.

We argued about rabies shots and he said the dog could be impounded for 10 days, yeah ok, ill take that and a fine over the fact that one of her siblings got it early and almost could never walk again from it.

I dont get it, my dog is in there for a serious illness, and he would rather rip on me and my breeder instead of dealing with the problem at hand.

Its like they immediately hate anyone with a free will that comes in well informed...

Comment

Makes me appreciate more and more my vet because of all the bad experiences I have had with others and the stories others have told. When you really find that one great vet... its like Christmas.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X