Vacation Care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Care

Did you ever have to leave your dane with someone else while you were away? Ever notice the amount of instuctions left for that person?

We are going to be gone on our honeymoon in Australia and New Zealand in August for two weeks. It seems like I am writing a fricken manual for my parents! I am used to writing a manual for all the tons of exotics we have, but a dog?! This supplement, this vitamin, in case of this do that, if this happens, call this person.

I think if I had a kid I wouldnt worry this much...

I need to also find a trainer/dog walker nearby my parents to take her on walks a few times a week to reinforce training, since my mother had a stroke she cannot walk her.

My poor parents are going to be drowning in not only but instructions too!

Does that mean you're getting married soon or did you put off the honeymoon for a bit? I only ask because if you're in the throes of planning a wedding, my thoughts are with you...lol. Either way, CONGRATS!!! Sounds like an awesome time going abroad.

Comment

I did this when I went to Edmonton for five days! Two pages of instructions and when I was on the plane, I thought of a whole bunch of things I forgot to add!

Your honeymoon sounds like it will be so glamorous! Congrats and have a great time!
      Katie & Scarlett
      sigpic

Comment

We are getting married August 14th. I suppose I should put the countdown on DOL since I never visit any of the other sites with countdowns as much as this one.

I just graduated with my BS, so we are getting married and doing the honeymoon now, cause in the fall I am going back to school for a year for my MS.

I am very swamped between training the dog and wedding planning, and setting up stuff for grad school.

Comment

Best of luck! I'd say the most important info you can leave are signs of bloat and who to contact and where to go if that should happen!

Early congrats!
          ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger View Post
            We are getting married August 14th. I suppose I should put the countdown on DOL since I never visit any of the other sites with countdowns as much as this one.

I just graduated with my BS, so we are getting married and doing the honeymoon now, cause in the fall I am going back to school for a year for my MS.

I am very swamped between training the dog and wedding planning, and setting up stuff for grad school.
            OMG, good luck!! Sounds like the old song, "The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!" Just awesome. Enjoy your summer, 'cause grad school is a B&T(^!

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2Dori View Post
              Best of luck! I'd say the most important info you can leave are signs of bloat and who to contact and where to go if that should happen!

Early congrats!
              The bloat checklist is definately included. My concern is that my mother doesnt drive, and my dad is just about always working. So I need to ask friends and family who live near and will generally be able to drive in case of an emergency. I also have to call the emergency vets nearby there to see who is experienced/prepared for bloat cases.

Hoping all goes smoothly though!

Thanks for all the congrats! Ive been planning for this for 2 years already.

Comment

Congratulations...on everything. maybe you can hire that $10 a week pooper scooper service. Also,there is a doggie daycare/resort in Phoenix that picks up and drops off and they have webcam so you can check up on your baby 24hrs a day. Maybe a day at a reputable daycare while you're gone for some exercise. But I suppose that won't help with the training.
                sigpic

Comment

We do the same thing!
                  We have a Pet Sitter that stays with them all the time, and the first time we left (it was only for a night) I had typed up 3 pages of instructions, etc.
                  Everytime we left and our pet sitter stayed, the list got shorter and shorter though.
                  We are now down to just typing up what they eat, how much, and any meds or supplements they are on.
                  But this is like 2 years down the road! LOL
                  [SIGPIC]sigpic
                  Vanessa

Bree - 5 yr old Mantle Female (Rescued, Spayed)
                  Brodee - 12 Month old Fawn Male
                  "Divine Acres Time Well Spent"

Comment

Congrats on the wedding & honeymoon! I can totally relate to the long list of instructions. My friend always makes fun of me when she stays with Gibson. I figure it is better to have to much info rather then not enough.
                    sigpic Brenda
                    RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                    Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

I have all my clients do a "day in the life"

I had one client write instructions "Feed minimally as needed" (Engineer???) as his whole instructions.

And others that write a 3 page bio. I prefer this as it helps me to follow the dogs schedule closely and follow their expectations. It also helps me when I cannot follow something, so I can discuss with the owner my work around. In most cases it's that they leash walk the dogs several times a day and I use yard play to exercise. Many of them are written in such a way that I'm left giggling for a while. Often things that get missed in my interview get remembered here. (I have a bulldog that sleeps with her sucky pig in her mouth).

Comment

I don't dare leave mine with anyone else. Multiply your instructions x 4, with each of mine getting their own prescription drugs and supplements, plus they're rawfed. I can't even imagine how complex that would be.

If I can't take them with me, I don't go.......

ETA: Best wishes on a lovely wedding and a wonderful honeymoon!!!!
                        Last edited by joyable; 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM.
                        Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                        sigpic
                        Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                        MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                        AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                        Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Vacation Care

Congrats on the wedding. I have always wanted to go to Australia.
                          sigpic "To err is human, to forgive, canine." Unknown

Susan & Gibson

Comment

Congratulations on the future wedding! The honeymoon plan sounds awesome...
                            - Victoria -
                            Proud mother of Jethro (born 03/11/2009)
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm going to make my husband read this thread so that he can see I am NOT the only one who does this. *L* We also hire "nannies" to stay at the house when we go somewhere and I always leave about 4 or 5 pages of instructions, daily routine, emergency numbers, etc. and he gets on my case all the time.

I just went to New York to visit family this past week and left him at home with the boys and he found out the hard way that it's NOT as easy as he thought and I think, appreciates all that I do a little more now. *L*
                              Lisa & "The Boys"

Comment

Working...
                              X