Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Need to get rid of our Dane and the Rescue Leaque won't take her!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need to get rid of our Dane and the Rescue Leaque won't take her!

Please do not post ads on the forums
    Last edited by dolmod; 06-20-2009, 09:27 AM. Reason: ad

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear what is going on with your dane. You mention liability....I don't think it would be responsible to re-home a dog like this. I would have the dog checked by a vet to rule out a medical condition that may be hurting her and causing the aggressive behavior. This dog is lunging at people to attack them? I would put this dog down. Something either physical or mental is tormenting her, and unless you can identify it and fix it, she is a timebomb waiting to go off.
    I think you have tried very hard with her, and done a wonderful thing trying to give her a forever home. But she's just not safe, and it is not worth someone (like your son, or anyone else she would be re-homed with) getting seriously injured.
    sigpic
    Jasper & Molly

Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by dmvee View Post
      I know this isn't a pleasant thing but we rescued a Dane just before Christmas this past December. It was a private one and not through the rescue. We were told she was great with kids and was fine with cats. Well after we got her we found out she was aggressive to other dogs, hates our two cats who have been in hiding since we got her. The people we got her from cut off contact and never sent us her medical records. Lately she has nipped our 13 year old son and last night went to attack one of his friends. Thank god we had a screen between them or she would have bitten him. After she bit our son(didn't break skin but left a bruise and scratches) we contacted our local rescue leaque but because she "made contact" with another person escpecially a child they won't take her. We thought we could continue to work with her and I think we've done a good job. We can walk her without her lunging and trying to attack other dogs. We had her fixed, her dew claws removed, completely revacinated and her ear tips would bleed and those are pretty much all healed up now. We took her to a trainer but they said they didn't think she would ever be a "meet & greet" type of dog. Despite these problems she can be lovable, fun, corky and just a pleasure. She is very attached & protective of me which I think is part of the problem. We hate to think of the alternative and really think she would make a great pet for maybe a singe person or couple that live in an area with not a lot of neighbors or kids and really don't entertain that much. She'd definitely make a good guard dog that's for sure. Where we live in a family neighborhood, we have kids and cats we just can't keep her for liability reasons. We really wanted to make this work but with this latest incident we just can't. We live in southern NH and if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Diane
      Rescues and shelters cannot accept the liability of taking in a dog that bites. To ensure the safety of our adopters, our rescue will not accept a dog with bite history. Most municipal shelters PTS a biter on intake, and in these tough economic times no rescue can afford to pay to kennel a dog that is not safe to live in a foster home. No-kill shelters may kennel a dog for its life, but what kind of life is that for a companion animal?

Sorry, but this is your dog now and your responsibility. If this dog cannot safely live in your household, the most conscientious thing would be to PTS.
      Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
      sigpic
      Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
      MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
      AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
      Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Originally posted by joyable View Post
        Rescues and shelters cannot accept the liability of taking in a dog that bites. To ensure the safety of our adopters, our rescue will not accept a dog with bite history. Most municipal shelters PTS a biter on intake, and in these tough economic times no rescue can afford to pay to kennel a dog that is not safe to live in a foster home. No-kill shelters may kennel a dog for its life, but what kind of life is that for a companion animal?

Sorry, but this is your dog now and your responsibility. If this dog cannot safely live in your household, the most conscientious thing would be to PTS.
        Agreed.

Also...to the OP: Your subject header is pretty insensitive. Most of us don't want to read about someone who needs to 'get rid of' their dane. I'm sure this was not your intention, but just letting you know how it came across to me.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

It doesn't sound to me like she'd be a "great pet" for anyone unfortunately. The fact that she bit your son and lunged at his friend speaks volumes. Something, perhaps from her past--perhaps from simple genetics, is tormenting this poor girl. Do the humane thing; take on the pain and allow your dane a release from hers. It's a selfless act.

Comment

So sorry to hear what you are going through. It has got to be incredibly stressful to not be able to relax and enjoy your dog.

Could she be acting out thinking she has to protect you? Do others in your household help with her daily care? Before putting her to sleep, I would maybe be working on making sure she knows she is the bottom of the pecking order. Lots of NILIF! I would restrict couches, beds (other than hers on the floor), and really remind her that she is a dog. Make sure she is getting lots of exercise, and good positive attention.

Only you know the whole situation and can be the one to decide how serious it really is. If you have done all you can to try to rehabilitate her and it hasn't worked, then I would say putting her to sleep would be best for everyone involved. Life is too short to live under this kind of worry every day.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I really don't understand how everyone is so quick to say that the dog should be put to sleep after reading a paragraph from the original poster. Actually I see the same thing here all the time. Is it really fair? How can anyone possibly understand the entire situation? Shouldn't a judgment like that be made by a professional who has actually viewed what is happening with the dog, and tried to figure out the reason for the behavior?

The local dane rescue where I am takes dogs that have bitten. They said a good deal of their rescues come from these types of circumstances.

Comment

Working...
              X