No announcement yet.

Afraid of stores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He wasn't scared i dont think, had like that what the heck is this nervous look. Maybe if he saw another dog go in he might
    Attached Files
    sigpicThings are doing great!!!

Comment

First time we took Jethro to PetSmart, he wouldn't go in. But since he's a puppy, we picked him up and put him inside (his spoiled-rotten).

He always hesitates on going to new places. We usually pull him in and pet him as soon as he passes the door.

Perhaps having a treat in your hand and putting it in front of his face as you walk in the door would help distract him. If he gets a treat once he's in, he might get the idea that walking through doors is not such a bad thing.
      - Victoria -
      Proud mother of Jethro (born 03/11/2009)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goofy123 View Post
        He wasn't scared i dont think, had like that what the heck is this nervous look. Maybe if he saw another dog go in he might
        I think your on the right track with this--you may want to try to walk him in with some other dogs
        _______
        ~ Rob ~

Comment

Is your dog a pound puppy? Andre, a pound puppy, when we first got him hated to go anywhere that had that smell of lots of dogs and harsh floor cleaner ie vets & pet stores. I think he just associated it with being abandoned at the scary pound! He would put the brakes on and wrap himself around one of my legs. It took awhile to get him over it. We used lots of high value treats and random visits to the vet where we would just walk in say hi to everyone and leave. Eventually he learned that smell didn't mean we were going to leave him.
          sigpicAndre post run, and ready for more!
          Loki 7/2002-3/2013
          Clyde 3/2003-8/2013
          Andre ~5/2006
          Bob the cat

Comment

If he likes treats, try getting his attention with the treat and then keeping it in front of him while you walk into the store. Give it to him once you are inside and praise him a lot.
            Ann & John and Navy (b. 1/5/14)
            Whisper (Avatar 3/9/07 - 11/19/13)

Zip (2000-2007 - waiting at the Bridge)
            http://dolforum.com/forum/image.php?...ine=1215894342

Also at the Bridge: Woof, Natasha, Kippie, Black Jack, Thumper, Nigra Altair and Sean

Comment

Working...
            X