OCD & Glucosamine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCD & Glucosamine?

I have a friend with a purebred German Shepard puppy, she's 8months old and she's been limping pretty bad. The vet diagnosed her with OCD and gave her metacam. Said if it wasn't better in 2 weeks to do Xrays. We've read it can be misdiagnosed alot so we're not sure it is OCD.

She's starting to feel better, been on crate rest for almost 2 weeks and the metacam has helped too. She's starting to put more weight on the joint (front Elbow) but is still limping a bit.

We're wondering if we should be supplementing with anything other than Glucosamine? And right now i think she's giving it once a week, should it be more often? I believe she's looking into Flexicose but isn't sure yet since she has some Glucos left from her last dog.

I know its not a Dane but you all are so helpful and smart, I thought I'd ask

Hi i had a st poodle with ocd the only thing that works is surgery.With that said a x ray should have been done before they said ocd.My dog started about 10 months old and just got worse.I wish your friends dog the best but if it is ocd needs to be treated as such.

Comment

Thats why i'm posting here is to help get some information as to what to do. I've read the other posts, we're just curious about supplements we can give as an addition whether it is or isn't OCD.

As a Shepard she's hoping to help with later hip/joint problems as well

Comment

If caught early and there are no osteophytes ("joint mice") seen on x-ray; rest, diet and supps CAN work. Crucial would be MSM, Omega 3, Vit C and full spectrum Vit E. I have helped several dogs with this protocol avoid surgery and recover well.

Comment

[QUOTE=lurchmom;410667]If caught early and there are no osteophytes ("joint mice") seen on x-ray; rest, diet and supps CAN work. Crucial would be MSM, Omega 3, Vit C and full spectrum Vit E. I have helped several dogs with this protocol avoid surgery and recover well.[/agreed these will help before something happens.like i said i wish you the best.

Comment

She should be giving glucosamine twice a day, depending on the type of glucosamine. Weekly isn't enough. I would definately do X-rays, to know for sure what is going on. Good luck.
            sigpic Brenda
            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Originally posted by lurchmom View Post
              If caught early and there are no osteophytes ("joint mice") seen on x-ray; rest, diet and supps CAN work. Crucial would be MSM, Omega 3, Vit C and full spectrum Vit E. I have helped several dogs with this protocol avoid surgery and recover well.
              She just wants the best for her pup

What should I tell her as for dosages (should make a sticky in health!)?

She's seeking a second opinion as far as vets go, but they dont usually prescribe supplements.

Comment

Working...
              X