Flushed a Puppy??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushed a Puppy??

I'm sitting watching Good Morning America and there was a story on a 1 week old Cocker Spaniel that was flushed down the toilet by a 4 year old! The puppy was able to be rescued, but how awful...how does a child get the opportunity to be alone with these pups...1 week old!
    Melisa, Bentley and Ella
    www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Holy! Talk about irresponsible child-minding. Glad the pup is okay.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

I was at our vets the other day getting our heart worm preventative and a lady walked in with a 15 week old Boxer pup, and her 3 children. I bent down to pet him, and he was wet, she explained that they hosed him off just to bring him into the vet, so you know the pup is outside all day by itself. I noticed that he was limping, and not using his left front leg at all. Then the vet tech, asked, "is this the golf cart incident", and she said "yes it is my eight year old son was driving the golf cart in the yard and ran over the pup laying in the yard." Where was she when this happened, or her husband, and I wonder how long it has been since it happened. He was not whining or anything, but the foot was not being used at all, probably broken or worse, nerve damage. Just makes me wonder why some people even have children, let alone 3.
      sigpic
      Lindsay, proud owner of Rotts, Brody and Lucy, Danes, Duke and Indy, and a Jap Chin, Romeo

Comment

Originally posted by ROTTI2DAYNE View Post
        I bent down to pet him, and he was wet, she explained that they hosed him off just to bring him into the vet, so you know the pup is outside all day by itself
        LOL I always have to wash Gwen before I take her anywhere, she's always dirty 'cause she loves to play in dirt, flops all over the yard, does slides etc. A wet dog is not a sign of an outside one, all the time.

Comment

I saw that on Good Morning America this morning too and had the same thoughts. Who in their right mind would leave a 4 year old alone with puppies long enough to flush it down the toilet ????????????????

What is wrong with people ????? It just kills me !!!! Does she not watch her children at all ????? Im just so happy and relieved that the poor puppy is OK.
          And can you imagine the money that the city had to spend and man power it took to rescue that puppy ?

She should not have puppies or children if she cant be responsible enough to watch over them.

Mich and my Love Bugs !

Sophisticated Sophie
          Kodiak's Toledo Tornado (Koda)

Comment

I read this on MSNBC this morning. One of the notes in the "reader's comments" section said, of course, "Why wasn't she watching this kid" and another person responded "Obviously you don't have kids or you'd know that you can't watch them every second"...

What??? I mean, everyone knows 4 y.o. kids love to flush things (toys, brushes, toilet paper still on the roll, clothes, etc.) down toilets. You never leave them alone when they are in the potty AND who has a litter of pups and leaves them unattended with small kids around - that's bad for the dogs and the kid...how many kids get bitten because they are encroaching on a mama dog with her pups? This lady is an irresponsible parent and pet owner.

Comment

My Mom's friend Bev has these nasty kids and a few years ago Bev had a Christmas cookie party. I dropped my mom off at the party and took the car to run errands then came back a few hours later.

Bev's family had just adopted a big fat cat and I went over to meet it. I noticed that its fur was wet, and sure enough when I pet it, it was wet. I asked Bev's daughter (8YO) why the cat was wet and she said that she must have splashed herself while drinking from the water bowl. I was skeptical but let it go...

I took a Christmas cookie and ate it. When I licked my fingers, I noticed the distinct taste of nail polish remover. I put two and two together and realised that the daughter probably put the nail polish remover on the cat for some reason.

A few weeks later, I found out that Bev had taken the cat to a farmer's field and dumped it because the family didn't want it anymore. My Mom said that Bev had told her the cat was never the same since that Christmas party. She peed everywhere and had just 'changed' for the worse.

I told my Mom about the nail polish remover and she was shocked. I couldn't believe they dumped the cat in a farmer's field because it wasn't 'good enough' for them anymore! And in the middle of December, too! I should have said something at the party, but I guess I didn't realise it would be so serious. That poor cat was 6YO.

This family has recently purchased a Jack Russell Terrier (from the pet store!) and my Mom told me that Bev has big time buyer's remorse. She thought small dogs were calm and quiet and had no idea what she was getting into and the kids don't really like the dog either. The JRT (still a puppy) is ruling the roost and since they can't afford puppy classes, they might be giving the dog away.

What the hell!!!!!!
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

I understand that the dog may have been an inside dog and they cleaned it off since it recently got dirty playing outside, but she looked like the kind of lady that would just buy a pup for the mere pleasure her kids would get out of it, and that be it. Having worked at a pet store I have seen this situation all to many times. Parents getting their kids a dog because the kid swears under the moon and the sun that they are going to take care of it, and when they dont the responsibility falls on the parents, and to lighten the load it is easier to put the dog outside than to take care of the shedding and potty training inside. Did not mean to jump to a conclusion but living in rural Kansas, I see it all too often, where a dog is just a dispensible object to roam the countryside the be a conversation peice on a farm.

As for the lady, if I had a litter of pups, no offense to my kids at the time or my husband, but being just a week old they would be my number one priority. I mean couldnt you imagine the consequences if this would have been a small litter of Chihuahuas, OMG!!
                sigpic
                Lindsay, proud owner of Rotts, Brody and Lucy, Danes, Duke and Indy, and a Jap Chin, Romeo

Comment

Yeah, I saw that. One wonders why that child was unsupervised for long enough to flush that puppy. Where on earth were the parents? And I can't believe they left that puppy in that home!!!

Where's that "shaking my head" emoticon when I need it?!?!?!
                  Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                  sigpic
                  Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                  MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                  AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                  Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

[QUOTE=ROTTI2DAYNE;410584]I understand that the dog may have been an inside dog and they cleaned it off QUOTE]

I was just playing with you

Comment

I saw a thing on my local news this morning, that a 8 year old boy was being arrested for killing more then 19 cats.

AN 8 YEAR OLD BOY!!!!!!!!! Talk about where were the parents. I did not get the whole story I was leaving for school this morning. I was thinking of the Halloween Michael Meyers, that is what he first did in the movie, killed animals.

WOW 19 cats not all at the same time.
                      sigpic "To err is human, to forgive, canine." Unknown

Susan & Gibson

Comment

UGH! I just don't get it...I don't have kids, but if/when I do they will be properly educated in how to care for all creatures. It's just breaks my heart to hear what some animals go through...
                        Melisa, Bentley and Ella
                        www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Comment

So out of curiosity what do breeders with children do? Obviously a 4 year old isn't in a crib anymore & I'm assuming the Mom's sleep. What do breeders do to ensure that their toddler isn't running around in the middle of the night flushing puppies?

Comment

A 4 year old probably doesnt get that flushing a week old puppy is dangerous. Kids do do crazy things in the blink of an eye, however, that is no excuse for this situation. I several times a year have baby ducks and chicks in the house....they are small and very fragile....the children NEVER have access to them without me being right there. I am a pretty relaxed parent and believe a lot in kids learning by doing etc but that is no excuse for failing to properly care for your responsibilities, which is what this puppy was.

I shudder even more thinking about what wouldve happened if the mother of the puppies decided to act...

Comment

I don't breed dogs, so I am not sure what moms do with babies and puppies, but I will tell you that I have 4 kids...1,3,5 and 7 (yes I am crazy) but i know that I have to not only protect my children from dogs, and vice versa..but I also have to protect children from children....toddlers can easily hurt babies (and the big kids too!) So a home should alwyas be fully childproof, locks, gates, plug covers, ect...think about how that child could have injured herself being alone long enought to flush a puppy!!

also i am curious, at the age of 4, she should have known better, as a social worker of abused kids, I would possibly question the whole situation, maybe 2 or 3...but not 4...but that is based on my opinion and not on the actual individual child, just an average...I mean 4 year olds use a potty, they know what it is for...
                              Last edited by ilovekbanda; 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Nichole Monahan
                              www.ohiogreatdanerescue.org
                              www.meetup.com/greatdane-nwohio/

Comment

Working...
                              X