New law to ban non-native animals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New law to ban non-native animals

Watch this and sign the petition! A new law is trying to pass that will ban all animals not native to the US, this includes nearly all fish birds and reptiles along with hamsters, ferrets!!!

http://www.nohr669.com/
    Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Sorry but no thanks. IMO it's dangerous to mess with this country's indigenous flora and fauna by introducing non-native species. Many times we've seen the innocent introduction of foreign plants and animals that end up wrecking havoc on our country's ecosystem.

Think bamboo. Think northern snakehead fish. Think Zebra mussels. Think Asian carp. Think purple loosestrife. Enuf said.
    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
    sigpic
    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

So you are okay with no one being able to keep pet birds, fish, reptiles or hamsters as pets?? We are not talking about letting these creatures in the wild, you will no longer be able to sell these or keep them as pets. Nearly all pet stores will shut down including the small mom and pop stores along with PetsMart and Petco.
      Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

My problem is with folks who get tired of maintaining their exotic species and decide to release them into our environment. We all know it happens all the time which is how the species I mentioned overtook the natural species.

About 10 years ago someone here in Maryland dumped their aquarium fish into the Potomac river. Some of these were snakeheads -- previously thought to be a tropical fish. Apparently they adapted, multiplied, and began killing all the natural fish in the river -- croaker, sea trout, spot, drum, etc. Department of Natural resources, USDA, and a host of state agencies spent $100,000's trying to trap and kill it. Years later they're still here, still wiping out our food fish, and my tax dollars are still being spent to try to eradicate it.

So I have no problem with foreign species in their native country. I have a huge problem with irresponsible people who cannot be trusted not to release them into our country.
        Last edited by joyable; 04-11-2009, 08:20 PM.
        sigpic
        Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Mira! Are you the gal with the twins? How are they and you?!?!
          ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

Actually, zebra mussels overtook because they hitchhiked on boats into non-native waters. Asian Carp overtook because they were being haversted/fish farm-raised and some escaped.

But... I do know what you mean about non-native species taking over; have you heard about the lionfish in the Caribbean Sea? I just don't think banning all the hamsters, birds, tropical fish, etc in the country will do anything. If people are determined to keep these animals, they will. It just might encourage them to "dump" them if a situation arises in which they have to get rid of the quickly or they were caught owning them.

Originally posted by joyable View Post
            My problem is with folks who get tired of maintaining their exotic species and decide to release them into our environment. We all know it happens all the time which is how the species I mentioned overtook the natural species.

About 10 years ago someone here in Maryland dumped their aquarium fish into the Potomac river. Some of these were snakeheads -- previously thought to be a tropical fish. Apparently they adapted, multiplied, and began killing all the natural fish in the river -- croaker, sea trout, spot, drum, etc. Department of Natural resources, USDA, and a host of state agencies spent $100,000's trying to trap and kill it. Years later they're still here, still wiping out our food fish, and my tax dollars are still being spent to try to eradicate it.

So I have no problem with foreign species in their native country. I have a huge problem with irresponsible people who cannot be trusted not to release them into our country.
            sigpic
            -Sara-
            -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Originally posted by empm View Post
              Mira! Are you the gal with the twins? How are they and you?!?!
              Hey! Yep that's me! Things are going good. The twins just turned 3 a few weeks ago! They are getting so darn big, I can't believe it! We are about to move to a new house on 9 acres and so excited!! How have you been?

Comment

So b/c some people are irresponsible b/c they dump non-native animals in the wild, that is the reason to not support the many more that are very responsible with their "exotic" pets? So I guess you support breed bans then? They are in a in a sense the same thing. A few people train their dogs to be mean and therefore the bans are enforced and many more people who are responsible with their dogs lose their beloved pets which includes Great Danes.

Comment

Quite the contrary, matter of fact I've repeatedly testified in hearings at the MD state capital in support of HB 562 which eliminates breed bans. I am also working with a member of AmStaff Rescue who is the leading the fight against breed bans at the county level (see here: www.geocities.com/afopgc)

That said, objecting to the import of foreign animals and fighting against the unfair descrimination of a dog breed are compltely unrelated topics.
                  Last edited by joyable; 04-12-2009, 05:03 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

Quite the contrary, matter of fact I've repeatedly testified in hearings at the MD state capital in support of HB 562 which eliminates breed bans. I am also working with a member of AmStaff Rescue who is the leading the fight against breed bans at the county level (see here: www.geocities.com/afopgc)

That said, objecting to the import of foreign animals and fighting against the unfair descrimination of a dog breed are compltely unrelated topics.
                    Not really that much of a difference. We are not talking about snakeheads (they are banned anyways now). I think you are misunderstanding the bill. The bill will take out everything that every single pet store in the US sells. Any and all fish such as Angels, Neon tetras, cory cats, goldfish, mollies, oscars, etc. will no longer be sold. Birds such as parakeets, cockatiels, large parrots will no longer be sold. Hamsters, ferrets, guinea pigs will no longer be sold. All reptiles will be banned as well. We will only be left with dogs and cats.

You can't say in one hand that a fish that has been irresponsibly released in a lake and has damaged the eco system is more dangerous then certain dog breeds that are injuring/killing people. If we do not support a breed ban then why support a bill that will take out millions of pets in the US each year? Just b/c of a few irresponsible people does not mean that the nation as a whole should be punished just as people who are responsible owners of so called "dangerous" dogs, such as Great Danes, shouldn't own any dogs. It's the same theory just different creatures.
                    Last edited by Mira; 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Mira you have a great point why is it the good people always suffer for the idiots in this world?

Comment

IMO This bill is in response to Travis {the Chimp} and his mauling and almost killing that gal a couple of months ago.

The breeders of chimps and other exotic animals that SHOULDN't be kept as pets are fighting it big time. Pass the bill I say.

Dee
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mira View Post
                          Hey! Yep that's me! Things are going good. The twins just turned 3 a few weeks ago! They are getting so darn big, I can't believe it! We are about to move to a new house on 9 acres and so excited!! How have you been?
                          Hi Stranger.

Bet the twins are getting big. Got a picture?

Dee
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Dog View Post
                            IMO This bill is in response to Travis {the Chimp} and his mauling and almost killing that gal a couple of months ago.

The breeders of chimps and other exotic animals that SHOULDN't be kept as pets are fighting it big time. Pass the bill I say.

Dee
                            A chimp and a betta fish are too different things. Are you really ready to lose every single pet that isn't a dog and cat? And I guarantee you, they will be next with the breed bans already passed in many towns. Chimps should not be kept as pets and actually can't be but that certain chimp was "grandfathered" into the new law. So it is really a moot point that this would be the reason why this law is on the books. Millions of people will lose their jobs, pet stores will start selling dogs and cats from mills to try and meet their bottom line b/c they won't be allowed to sell anything else. It's sad and I can't believe that anyone would be in support of losing every single animal in the US b/c of a few idiots! It shocks me actually...and makes me sad at the same time.
                            Last edited by Mira; 04-13-2009, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Dog View Post
                              Hi Stranger.

Bet the twins are getting big. Got a picture?

Dee
                              Of course I have a pic These are their xmas pics from this year!

Alivea & Kaytlin
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../scan00191.jpg

Alivea
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../scan00031.jpg

Kaytlin
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../scan00061.jpg

Alivea & Kaytlin
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../scan00231.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X