2 males

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 males

People keep telling me not to have two males. I was thinking if they are neutered and both easy going things should be ok. What should I be aware of, look for, or plan for? What are important things I need to know if I decide to have two males.
    The Mel Mom
    3 awesome kids (20, 12, 8)
    Hogan and Nikki my Great Dane Duo
    Savanna the old lady Rat Terrier
    Mollie - the rolly polly Pug
    Huey and Isaiah - the AristoCats

Knowing the temperament of your dogs is most important. I've always had multiple males, intact and / or neutered. I run a very tight ship & am very dominant. This keeps peace. I've only had a very few minor tussels and quickly put an end to them.

When bringing in a puppy you may not know their eventual temperament which can pose a problem down the road depending on your resident dog. A male dane at 1 can be very different then the same male dane at 2 and sometimes even 3.

Comment

I have 4 males, and all but 1 are neutered (undescended testicle - waiting a bit to see if it drops). I have never had 1 issue whatsoever with my males. Not even when my female was in heat.

I also pupper-sit my parents' intact 2.5 year old male and there are absolutely no issues when he's here.

I *do* think temperament plays a big part - all of my males (and my parents' male) are VERY laid back and not dominant in the least.

Comment

I run a tight ship as well - have 3 males all nuetered. No problems here. Depends on the family as well as temperments of the dogs.
        sigpic

Comment

We do not have two Danes but we have a male Rott and a male Dane, my male Rott is very well behaved, and listens to my every command, and looks to me for guidance. We got our male Dane when the Rott was three. They lived together fine until Duke and Dane turned two. That is when things started going down hill. They are both very dominant, and they started to butt heads. At first the fights were mild, and not serious, just small growls, or body blocking, then it excalated into all out brawls, where I was seriously scared for one of their lives. We also have a female Rott and a female Dane as well, before everything started to happen we had introduced the female Dane at 4 months, which was two months prior to things getting very dangerous.

If you know you dogs and establish your dominance right from the get go, and give them plenty of exercise there should not be an issue. From my stand point if you are worried and want to know what to prepare for I will let you know. Be prepared to think about giving one of them up, in my case I could not bare to think about that and it would bring tears to my eyes everytime I did, it is very hard to think about when you raise them from pups. If you are not willing to adopt one out be prepared for a life long separation, that is what we have chosen to do, both dogs get equal attention, and have enough room to play and run around, but at times it can be hard. We chose this route, because it is too dangerous to try to get them together again, for both of them, and for us, lots of anxiety from everyone when they were together before, and I could not think of them with someone else.

Good Luck on your pups, and always if you have questions always ask.
          sigpic
          Lindsay, proud owner of Rotts, Brody and Lucy, Danes, Duke and Indy, and a Jap Chin, Romeo

Comment

If I add a male he will be about 1.5 to 3 years old. Thanks for the info so far.
            The Mel Mom

Comment

When Duke and Brody started butting heads Brody was 5 and Duke was 2, whenever someone goes and does this I always throw up the red flag right away, one thing you have to remember is there are alot of people that have done it with no problem at all, but then I have talked to some people just like me that now live separated also, so in a way it is kinda like playing the lottery.
              sigpic
              Lindsay, proud owner of Rotts, Brody and Lucy, Danes, Duke and Indy, and a Jap Chin, Romeo

Comment

2 males

I have two male schnauzers and one male Dane, and so far, so good. The schnauzers are fixed.

One of the schnauzers is the dominant dog, and Gibson(dane) respects that.

schnauzers are 3 years and dane is 6 months.
                sigpic "To err is human, to forgive, canine." Unknown

Susan & Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by ROTTI2DAYNE View Post
                  When Duke and Brody started butting heads Brody was 5 and Duke was 2, whenever someone goes and does this I always throw up the red flag right away, one thing you have to remember is there are alot of people that have done it with no problem at all, but then I have talked to some people just like me that now live separated also, so in a way it is kinda like playing the lottery.
                  Completely agree that it is like playing the lottery. Like Mitch, I have had a couple of small scuffles that were ended just as quickly as they began. I run a very tight ship and bad behaviors are nipped. You have to be ready for any situation when keeping a multidog household.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just want to add that you can have problems with female/male dogs also. My first dane was VERY laid back & loved other dogs. He was 2yrs old & neutered when I brought a female doberman pup home. She was spayed, but became very jealous & dominate at around 2yrs old. She would attack my dane out of nowhere. It wasn't all the time, so I just had to watch for red flags & call her to me if she looked like she was going to go off. I have several friends that have owned 2 neutered male dogs without problems. Like above posters said, you just need to be aware that a problem could arise when introducing any dogs.
                    sigpic Brenda
                    RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                    Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Maybe I should not have any more dogs. I had Chloe for 7 weeks and she could not get along with my Terrier or cats but loved Hogan. Hogan loved her and loves my Terrier. I really want 2 Danes but I what if???
                      The Mel Mom

Comment

I have heard not to have 2 females and now not to have 2 males. Well, that would mean we could only have 2 dogs per house-one of each. It completely depends on the dogs involved and the owner. I have 3 girls (2 dane, 1 nondane) and 1 boy. My dogs don't always cuddle or sleep on each other, but there is always a respect for one another and above all a respect for how I want my house run. I do think spaying and neutering is important in multidog houses, those hormones can do tricky things sometimes. 2 of the same sex can and is done everyday. Some people have trouble controlling even 1 dog and obviously those are the sort who should probably not even have 1 much less 2.
                        Michele
                        Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                        RIP my loves:
                        Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

I have always had 2 males. After Oscar passed I tried bringing in a 18 month old male and Murpy wasn't having it...but he accepted a male puppy just fine. They are joined at the hip.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
                            I have 3 girls (2 dane, 1 nondane) and 1 boy. My dogs don't always cuddle or sleep on each other, but there is always a respect for one another and above all a respect for how I want my house run. I do think spaying and neutering is important in multidog houses, those hormones can do tricky things sometimes. 2 of the same sex can and is done everyday. Some people have trouble controlling even 1 dog and obviously those are the sort who should probably not even have 1 much less 2.
                            Completely agree. I've had 3 females and 1 male (plus occasional fosters) that all got along very well. They were rescues that were selected as adults because of their sociable temperament. I practice NiLiF with mine and never leave out anything that they might compete over except beds, but they just fuss over them and sit on each other!

Multiples of the same gender worked well for me because all were well trained, well behaved, had settled adult temperaments, and all knew I ruled their world -- not them.
                            Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                            sigpic
                            Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                            MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                            AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                            Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

I have multiple males and females and have for years. However, when Mom speaks the world stops.

I have a friend who had two males and she had problems. Most of it was her making as early on one grumbled at the other. I always told her to nip it in the bud but she insisted they were just "talking". Well, as you might expect, the talking errupted one night into a knock down fight and they ended up at the E-vet for stitches. From then on she separated but it was difficult as her DH would forget to close the gates.
                              Nancy
                              Calico Rock Danes
                              Alabama

Comment

Working...
                              X