Doggie septic tank???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doggie septic tank???

Just wondering if any of you have used or are using a pet septic tank?? My back yard is getting out of control!! Are they worth it or is it easier just to use it for compost? Is one better than the others? Thanks in advance I know everyone will be as helpful as usual!!

Not sure about the septic tank. I believe someone did mention. Too much poo from a dane to keep up. Here is our solution:
    Rocky has a pea gravel litter box. After a week to two weeks of taking them there, they get the idea. Used on our last 2 danes also. With multi-dogs just have to make it bigger. He has never pooped on the grass and once in a blue moon he will hit one of our trees. This shot he was playing and stopped to do his business. We water it down about once a week in the summer. Pick up poo daily and put in a small bagged garbabe pail and and goes out with the weekly trash in the big bin.

Linda and Rocky
    sigpic
    Jesse 1998-2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
    Harley 1998-2002
    Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Originally posted by katfsh View Post
      Just wondering if any of you have used or are using a pet septic tank?? My back yard is getting out of control!! Are they worth it or is it easier just to use it for compost? Is one better than the others? Thanks in advance I know everyone will be as helpful as usual!!
      We had one when we had a Boxer and a German Shepherd. As long as you keep up on the work, adding the chemicals that break down the waste and all, they work great. Never had an area in our yard that was greener. ;-) The chemicals I found, I ordered on-line or you could find in a pet store. They were safe for pets and the environment.
      Then we added a Saint Bernard and it was too much for three dogs and just one "system". So, be sure you get the right size for the amount of dogs you have or invest in two. You'll have to dig quite a big hole also--or two. But, it worked.
      We've moved since then and haven't put one in. I'm actually considering switching to RAW feeding and probably won't need them as bad from what I'm reading. Oh, and just be careful with the lids on them too. The one we had, had a plastic lid and once hubby ran over it with the mower and broke a side, then eventually it just cracked and broke off.

Comment

Do not use doggie poo for compost. It is from a meat eater and it may carry e-coli. Only vegetarian animal waste is good for compost.

Lori
        sigpic
        Lori, Desi & Grimm
        RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
        Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
        Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Originally posted by LoMax View Post
          Do not use doggie poo for compost. It is from a meat eater and it may carry e-coli. Only vegetarian animal waste is good for compost.

Lori
          Not sure I understand your comment? I didn't use it as compost. It's a hole dug in the ground that breaks down the dogs waste like a septic system. I was just saying that the grass around the system was the greenest in our yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline301 View Post
            Not sure about the septic tank. I believe someone did mention. Too much poo from a dane to keep up. Here is our solution:
            Rocky has a pea gravel litter box. After a week to two weeks of taking them there, they get the idea. Used on our last 2 danes also. With multi-dogs just have to make it bigger. He has never pooped on the grass and once in a blue moon he will hit one of our trees. This shot he was playing and stopped to do his business. We water it down about once a week in the summer. Pick up poo daily and put in a small bagged garbabe pail and and goes out with the weekly trash in the big bin.

That is too cool! Did you dig down as a sort of foundation, or did you just lay the timbers & fill it in?
            Stella (Merle), Zeus (Blue)
            Noogie-Boogie (Doxxie)
            Kasey (Pug aka: the turd)

The Felines: Precious, Chloe & Ray
            At the Bridge: Fluffy, Brandy, Tiffany, Gizmo, Woof, Scrappy, Duke, Shay, Cleo, Vader, Pepper, Conner

Comment

We just put the timbers down 3 high and added the pea gravel over the grass. You probably could go higher with the timbers if you want or dig down further. If you have red clay dirt might be a good idea. That red clay doesn't drain too well. When we lived in Georgia, summertime had to hose down couple times a week. We also had some extra that put behind it and put up a pee pole, but he rarely goes there. He likes his box.
              Linda and Rocky
              sigpic
              Jesse 1998-2007
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
              Harley 1998-2002
              Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Thanks! I'm gonna have to really try this. It'd be awesome if I could get all 5 monsters to use the "litter box!"
                Stella (Merle), Zeus (Blue)
                Noogie-Boogie (Doxxie)
                Kasey (Pug aka: the turd)

The Felines: Precious, Chloe & Ray
                At the Bridge: Fluffy, Brandy, Tiffany, Gizmo, Woof, Scrappy, Duke, Shay, Cleo, Vader, Pepper, Conner

Comment

I thought I'd post here and bring this thread back up, because this "litterbox" idea is awesome! I've been wondering what to do with Earl peeing all over the yard, as we like to spend lots of time back there and have friends with little kids..no one wants to be playing in dog pee!
                  I would never have thought of the litterbox idea on my own..Thanks DOL...

Comment

We have a Doggie Doolie. It would probably work fine for a small dog or two, maybe one big dog but for three Danes and a Staffy it can't keep up. We even got the "extension". I tried adding the chemicals as often as they recommend but there's only so much poo it can break down! If you only have one dog it will probably work. I wish we'd put it in higher ground. I don't know why DH put it where he did but it might have worked better at a higher, drier level. In the spring (when I need it most) it's filled with water.
                    Julie
                    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
                    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
                    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
                    sigpic

Comment

We just put the timbers down 3 high and added the pea gravel over the grass.

Has your dog ever tried to eat the rocks?
                      I love this idea...doggie litter box. I must show dh.

Comment

This is such a good idea! My yard is huge, which sounds awesome... but is a pain when scooping poop. I will have to talk my boyfriend into building one....
                        I'm just worried that all Jack will do is dig in there....
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X