No announcement yet.

Thoughts and Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll never happen, but I would like to see ads for animals banned from selling in newspapers. Course they would all run to Craigslist. Just recently here in our county they made it unlawful to sell animals in parking lots, which was an ongoing place for sales.
    Linda and Rocky
    sigpic
    Jesse 1998-2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
    Harley 1998-2002
    Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Speaking generally here.....I guess I don't see why I have to spay and neuter my dogs because my neighbors aren't responsible.

I've had an intact male for 5 years (almost 6.) I don't see how I'm part of the problem when he's never sired a litter (in fact, he's still very much a virgin, thank you very much.) How is making me neuter him helping any sort of homeless animal problem? How about let's enforce laws we have about keeping your pets in your own yard and on a leash when they aren't! How about lets work on closing down the disgusting puppy mills instead of making up new laws requiring people like me (who aren't part of the problem) to neuter my dog!

I very strongly feel that someone else other than me should NOT get to make a decision about my dog's health and what kind of surgeries he's required to have!

NO. NO. NO! I will never be in agreement with any sort of mandatory spay & neuter law. Puppy mills and idiots are the problem, and AFAIK we already have laws on the books for those problems, but they just aren't enforced. How about we work on enforcing those laws?
      Mandi

Comment

Exactly we arent the problem.The problems break laws anyway and will continue to do so.
        sigpicLisa
        www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Here in Roswell if your dog gets picked up at the pound or you want to adopt an animal you have to pre-pay the spay to get them back if they are unaltered.

on the surface this sounds like a good idea right?

well there are a few problems with that the first one being most pet owners just don't pick up their animals.

The other being whats to say that an adopted will have the animal fixed?

you can have an animal spay/neutered here for about 60.00 (not a dane mind you lol) the adoption fee is 40.00 and we have alot of purebred dog in the the pound

Humm $100.00 for breeding stock what a deal.

We have so many dogs at the pound right now that they are putting down over 200 dogs and cats a week to make space or sending them out of state.

then you have the loop hole that our BYB'ers here use if you have AKC or CKC paperwork for your dog you don't have to have it altered ... Now tell me how does this stop the unwanted puppies.

Most states have spay/neuter laws on the books but how many enforce them?

Comment

Originally posted by saharadane View Post
            There are quite a few low cost spay/neuter clinics here. $20 - $30. People don't take advantage of them. Or, they just want a few litters to recoup their costs or make some additional dollars.
            The cheapest low-cost spay/neuter here is $70. I know there will always be those morons who pay exhorbitant amounts of money for a poorly bred dog and turn around and breed said dog to recoup money. There are also lots of country folk who get free dogs, don't get them altered, and let them run free to have litter after litter of Heinz 57 puppies. I just think that maybe if spay/neuters were offered for free, those stubborn country folk would probably be more apt to get their dogs altered. Lots of people aren't even willing to put $70 dollars into their animals...
            sigpic
            RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
            Levi...born June 29th, 2011
            Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
            Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
            https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

This has nothing to do with the trend but I can't tell when someone replys who they are talking to or what reply they are referring to.

Thanks
              Member:
              Macon Kennel Club
              & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

any poster has the option to quote the message they are responding to. Some folks choose not to do that.
                sigpic
                In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Originally posted by SusRob0674 View Post
                  This has nothing to do with the trend but I can't tell when someone replys who they are talking to or what reply they are referring to.

Thanks
                  I for one, am still getting used to the new forum style.

Comment

Originally posted by SusRob0674 View Post

Thanks
                    If you go to the upper right corner of the posts, click on "Display Modes" and you can choose the hybrid or thread modes which will show a diagram of who replies to which post at the top of the thread.

Julie
                    Julie
                    Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
                    RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
                    Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
                    sigpic

Comment

OT but a question on viewing when I had mine set on hybrid (the way I like it)I was missing alot of post for some reason.Was I missing something or doing something backwards??
                      sigpicLisa
                      www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by XcelDanes View Post
                        OT but a question on viewing when I had mine set on hybrid (the way I like it)I was missing alot of post for some reason.Was I missing something or doing something backwards??
                        Not sure. I'll have to look into it later today. I've always used linear mode. Did you check the FAQ's?
                        sigpic
                        In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                        Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

I guess the biggest problem I have with any law is that the people who will follow the law are the people who aren't the problem. I can see the idea is to try to help with the overpopulation and try to weed out the puppy millers and BYBers, but I don't think a law in a certain area is going to help. So someone can't sell their pups in that area, what's to stop them from being just outside the zoning or whatever, people will just drive there to get them or how many of us have driven for our own dogs or flown them in??

I'd agree that the microchipping makes sense and should be part of any licensing, maybe even suggest that puppies be chipped at the breeder's and then there is someone registered to this dog should it ever become an issue, and hopefully encourage any "breeder" whether accidental or otherwise to be able to track where their pup went??? Though frankly I don't see any valid reason for DNAing the dogs, other than if you want to be able to have on file what breeds are where so you know where to go should a breed ban come into play.

I have to agree with Kendra, I think the first thing to be done would be to offer the free spay/neuter as most of the "accidents" I see are due to money issues or the taking the time to do it. It does seem our shelters are mostly filled with dogs either from "oops" or from owners who got the dog, didn't train it, and now it's a pain so they just get rid of it, or now, people who economically just can't keep the dog due to losing their house and now having to rent, expenses, etc. Maybe they could offer training classes too to help.

As for any fines, first they have to catch these people. Do they actually have the manpower to enforce this and stop at every house that potentially has a dog to see if it's fixed, registered, the correct age?? A local community here does have a breed ban on pits, yet that area still has a very high rate of incidents involving them. People ask why and the officers say all the time that they don't have time to do dog checks while enforcing other laws, the same with the SPCA. Due to this "ban", people who own these dogs either have them for being mean dogs to begin with, or they get them but don't get them properly trained or socialized because they're "hiding" them, either of which can be a problem if they ever get out. (which I guess brings me right back to my initial thought of only those who are responsible now would be the ones to follow the law anyway, which doesn't address the problem issues)

Comment

Saharadanes comments hit the nail squarely on the head.

Folks who have one litter every two or three years but would have to pay, say, $70 a year for their, say again, four dogs...$280 a year are being financially penalized.

And it's insulting for someone to tell these people that if they can't afford to pay these fees -- that in effect subsidize the folks to breed indescrimately -- they themselves should not be breeding!

Part of the reluctance to spay or neuter lies in cultural values. I'd love to see some studies on the attitudes of different socio-economic, national, and racial groups towards spaying and neutering. Good in-depth data would make it easier to develop communications and education programs to target specific groups. It's particularly important to reach childen in the lower grades where their values still are being formed.

Also, in many, if not most areas, there is no readily available cheap or free spay/neuter. I understand that the traveling vans have a high success rate in reaching people.

mp

Comment

Working...
                            X