Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people go to obedience class if...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people go to obedience class if...

Why do people go to obedience classes if they won't do what the trainer suggests? I'm taking Gypsy to advanced classes now (doing really well I might add ) and there's a really nice girl that has a part pit bull named Bo. Now Bo has a funny little thing he does and I don't know if he's just wanting to play or pick a fight. Every time he passes another dog he kinda snaps at them. He doesn't growl or bark, he sorta clacks his teeth at them. He does lunge when he does this but so far it hasn't upset any of the other dogs. Cindy (trainer) told this gal not to let him do this. She even went as far as to take Bo herself and walk him around the other dogs. Of course he didn't try anything with Cindy. Well tonight he did it to Gypsy and Cindy told her to correct him like she meant it. Then she explained she was setting herself up for a law suit if he ever bit somebody's dog and she really needed to make him stop doing that. She wasn't ugly about it, just stated a fact. I guess the girl got her feelings hurt because she put her coat on and left. The whole reason she was coming to class was because her husband was getting shipped out and wanted to make sure she could control the dog with him gone. People never cease to amaze me.

RE: why do people go to obedience class if...

Isn't it always the way?! Sometimes people can be way too sensitive about things.

Comment

My trainer rents out my basement of my business for working with dogs during the winter, and right now he has this problem with a lot of clients...one most notable is a lady with an Airedale. She keeps calling him and having hissy fits that the dog knows NOTHING after 8 weeks of training. I have seen this dog work, he is absolutely flawless. The trainer works with this lady every week to show her what she needs to be doing, explaining how she needs to keep up with the work, etc. There is no "remote control" for her, but she seems to expect one! It's very frustrating for him...drives me nuts when people won't take the advice of the people they hire to give it to them.

I have this problem with people in my grooming shop too...they want their dogs left really long, but refuse to listen and take my advice about between-groom coat care, and end up having to shave them down. Then they blame me LOL

Comment

Don't ya just want to choke them! ;-)

Comment

>Don't ya just want to choke them! ;-)

Yeah, but wouldn't a clicker be more effective? :7 }> :7 }>
          My best boy, Trooper.
          sigpic

Comment

Click, then choke them (people I mean)? I don't want to warn them before I choke them. :P

Comment

Gwenna!! You are so funny! I think you may be getting AMAM!!

As for the post...people are dumb...I'm amazed an owner would allow this at all, even without being told. We went out of our way making sure Bishop had good experiences with dogs when he was young so he would never be mean or pick fights.

I actually was proud of Queen recently...we were at the dog park and all I heard was Queen do a short bark at a Doberman and I called her over thinking she was being rough...well I looked down a few minutes later and that dog had obviously bitten her and drew blood and it has healed with a noticeable scar!! So anyways, since she is a rescue that has been in a coupe fights (when she was in heat when she first came to us) I was so proud she didn't do anything other than bark even when provoked!:P

Comment

In my beginner class (we'd already been through puppy), there was a woman with a 9 or so month old golden, frustrated to death that he was a wild child. But she didn't follow any of the trainer's suggestions. Like "When giving a command, only give it one time and if they don't do it right away, remind them how to do it"...she would say "Sit Sit Sit Sit Sit SIT SIT!!!" Or "Don't talk to them when they're in a stay" and she would say "Stay, oh good, you're staying, that's right, STAY, yes sir" or "When he's in a stay, stand in one spot at the end of the leash, don't walk around; it's too distracting" and she would walk circles back and forth around her dog. i stood next to her a few times and she couldn't understand why my 5 month old puppy (youngest in the class) who was a member of a "dumb" breed (people still think danes are dumb LOL) was so well behaved while her older puppy was so insane. i even tried explaining, but i think she was one of those people that hears something and registers the opposite.

i didn't get to see how it resolved, actually. Turns out that was the "dumb" beginner class. Sneaker had already learned a lot in the puppy class, and in fact had won the trophy at graduation, and after a few weeks the trainer asked if we wouldn't rather switch to Thursday night because things were moving a little quicker in that class LOL! (Little brag: Sneaker went on to win the trophy in the Beginner class as well!)

Comment

>Gwenna!! You are so funny! I think you may be getting AMAM!!

Thanks Heather.

}>
                  Mandi

Comment

I ALWAYS SAY THERE ARE NO DUMMMMMM DOGS JUST DUMMMMM OWNERS!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/f9ccb057.jpg

Comment

You're welcome Mandi!:+

Comment

No dumb dogs? Well, you can say that all you want, But at this time I have two very smart dogs AND a dummmmmmmmmmm one. I'd love to say it ain't so, but I'd be lieing. :P

Comment

Working...
                        X