HELP... with Minnie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP... with Minnie

Well, I got Minnie and yesterday and last night went fine.. Bailey my male dane mix and her are acting like old friends.. and last night outside my female lab and minnie were ok.. a little standoffish but ok.. BUT.... BUT... today.. well blood was drawn.. Minnie and Lucy (lab 2yrs spayed) got into a really big.. fight.. minnie grabbed Lucy's front leg and was shaking her around the house.. puncture through the leg and needed stitches.. Minnie got a bite on the lip but otherwise ok.. the funny thing was.. believe it or not there was a funny part.. Lucy was laying in my lap while I was checking out her wounds.. and crying and shaking like she was in shock.. I was scared.. then bailey threw the Kong toy down the stairs, and Lucy jumped right up and started chasing it..

Question is how do I get them all to be friends.. I am willing, more than willing to do what is necessary to get them to work this out.. but boy it was a scary thing to see..:'(

RE: HELP... with Minnie

Hi, Laura. Sounds pretty typical with 2 females and a dominance issue. I'm no expert on this at all, and these boards can be pretty quiet on the weekends, but hold on because others will be posting with advice. In the meantime, I think I'd keep them separated, until someone gets on here and teaches you how to get it worked out.

Comment

thanks. I talked to my vet who said it was the same thing.. and just to wait it out.. I just hope it works out.. 2 big dogs fighting is not what I want.. I like the peace..

Comment

I agree with Tess, typical females. I would separate them and maybe introduce them with one or both in a crate just so they can sniff each other, but not forced on each other. Good luck with this. I would try and do things really slowly and don't expect too much. It could take awhile.

Megan
        http://www.picturetrail.com/pipersmom

Comment

Yeah, and Laura, you're going to have to figure out which is to be the alpha bitch. My guess is it should be your Lab, but without knowing a lot more about both dogs, and watching to see what's most likely, I wouldn't know how for you to figure that one out. Bottom line, though, is that YOU will have to make sure the dogs know which one YOU consider alpha, by giving tht dog preferential treatment. You know, that dog is fed first, given treats first, etc., etc. I'm more than a little uncomfortable with just saying let them figure it out. Two bitches can have some nasty fights.

Comment

I agree. ~ Try and keep em separated till you have a definitive game plan. ~ Nip this in the bud. ~ Too bad it started out on the wrong foot. ~ Intros are very important to set the tone of what is to follow. ~ Don't want this situation to escalate! ~ It can still be ok. ~ You need experienced advice something I do not have in this situation. ~ Someone will come along with it soon. ~ Hang in. ~ Do you have an x-pen?

~Bonnie~
            "Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant" ~ Unknown

Visit Flash's World
            www.merlequin.com
            www.thebonniepage.com

May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

I leashed them just a little while ago and took them out in the yard, with 2 people of course. Minnie is trained to sit and stuff like that so we had them meet each other again and they just sniffed at each other, they seem to do well outside in the yard, just not inside, so we are keeping them separated.. they have only been introduced inside on a limited basis. I think that with Lucy's personality she will be the submissive one.. and Minnie the dominate one.. which I think will be fine, once they work it out. I am hopeful, and think that after a few days it will be ok..

I thought more about it and Minnie was trying to sniff Lucy and got her in the corner, then they growled, and then they started fighting some, but Lucy got Minnie's lip.. and well then all He.L broke loose.. but it is calm again for now..

thanks..

Comment

I also meant to say that Minnie is a wonderful dog, she is very and I mean very skinny so I started the Satin Balls today.. She has cherry eye and those callouses on her "knees" the dandruff is awful.. the vet said that the skin will improve with the diet.. I will take her to the vet tomorrow.. I only spoke on the phone.. any ideas about Cherry Eye too?

thanks for all your help

Comment

PS Kong toys are really cool

Comment

Working...
                  X