Figuring out the feeding nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figuring out the feeding nightmare

We have 2 Danes Harper is a 17 week old Merle female around 52 lbs and Farley is a 11 week old harl male 34 lbs. we brought them home at 6 weeks 10 lbs (Farley) and 12 weeks 35 lbs (Harper) my little guy was weaned early due to mom having issues. And though he now weighs 34 lbs he’s very lean. we are working on house training still. They do very well in their crates. We are on our 3 rd night of being uncrated at night and no accidents thus far!! They do very well on the leash, learned sit on day 2 of being brought home.” Stay” is a bit more challenging but we are getting there. They like to chew on everything including the siding on the house. I remedied that by putting deodorant on the places they were chewing and they have stopped. My biggest concerns are food. We started out raw and my bed made me feel like the worst dog owner ever. Switched to lg breed dog food by blue buffalo and she criticized that too. I found a very helpful family owned pet store and have switched to NutriSource lg breed puppy kibble. I think I just need some other Dane owner to tell me I’m doing the right thing with the food. I have ready all of the “don’t feed puppy food” do feed puppy food” I must say it is confusing as heck and a bit stressful when you want the best for your pups any advice will be much appreciated.

There is no reason at all not to feed raw to your pup as long as you are doing it correctly... Vets are great medically and I have a lot of respect for most having worked in that field for 43 years, however they aren't usually the best source of info on food and feeding (neither are most pet store employees) Vets get general studies in nutrition that takes in everything from cats to rats, dogs to hogs. They also tend to recommend foods pushed by reps and that they see advertised a lot. Most have no idea what is in the foods they recommend. As far as puppy food there is no issue with feeding puppy food to a growing Dane puppy.. most are well within the safe calcium/phosphorous levels (many adult foods aren't including some that use to be) Make sure not to over feed, never leave food down , make sure the calcium is around 1.2 and phosphorous around .08... Definitley no calcium over 1.5 or phosphorous over 1.0.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it very much. We have made sure this kibble is within all of the calcium /phosphorus and fat/protein recommendations. Do you see any concerns with adding an egg or cottage cheese once a day?

Comment

Protein is not an issue so no worries there . Do not add Cottage cheese since that will up calcium levels too much. An egg a couple times a week is fine.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Hello I'm also new and figuring it all out. May I ask what would be the benefit to adding an egg?

Comment

Working...
          X