Help with cone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with cone

My 7 month old GD just had surgery, he had a laparoscopic gastropecy & was neutered. The surgeons office put him in a No Bite & a cone of shame because he could reach his sites with just the no bite on. He has a plastic one that he has DESTROYED & he is now trying to chew on the duct tape that is holding it together. He has to wear both of them for at least another week & depending on healing it may be longer. His neck is 18 around so I need recommendations for the best cone. He cannot do the inflatable ones due to his snout length (I could not get that because he will not be still long enough).

In 40 years of Danes and as a vet tech have not had a Dane have to wear a cone for neuter.. There are many different products out on the market for this purpose... Hopefully others will chime with what worked for them... (What's done is done and can't be undone but it is unfortunate that you had the neuter/pexy done so young... It is not recommended to be done until at least 18 months of age)
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      In 40 years of Danes and as a vet tech have not had a Dane have to wear a cone for neuter.. There are many different products out on the market for this purpose... Hopefully others will chime with what worked for them... (What's done is done and can't be undone but it is unfortunate that you had the neuter/pexy done so young... It is not recommended to be done until at least 18 months of age)
      We had the pexy done so young at the recommendation of his vet (he has Danes himself) because he already had a bloat scare plus his size. At 7 months he stand at 32" measured at his back & is approximately 115 lbs (I am 5'1" and his head is over mine when standing up). When he was born he was twice the size of his brothers & sisters, he is still larger than the 2 that he plays with a lot. The surgical vet agreed with the recommendation after reviewing his case, looking at his bloodwork, & his own exam. I chose to do the neutering at the same time to avoid having to put him through more stress later on, plus the risks Danes go through with anesthesia. I am confident we made the proper decision & would do it again if we had to. I'm trying to upload a photo but it keeps telling me they are too large.

Comment

Unfortunately it sounds like the vets weren't up on the current recommendations in regards to the increased risks it causes. Current size has no bearing on how early to spay/neuter ... Water under the bridge now because it can't be undone. Your boy is at the average size for his age by the way.. As far as his pexy incision goes you can have him wear a t-shirt until it is healed.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
        X