Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety after surgery....help!

Hello!

In January our 6.5-year-old Great Dane got bloat, underwent surgery, and recovered relatively well. Except, now he seems to be an anxious mess at night. He paces around the house, whines, barks at things that aren't there, etc. I took him back to the vet to make sure he's not in pain or nothing's wrong. She didn't have much to say except he looks great and give him time. Well in the process of giving him time, my husband and I are beyond sleep deprived. We can't go another night with him pacing until 4 am. Has anyone experienced this post surgery? AND would anyone recommend a calming/anxiety aid I could buy over the counter?

I'd appreciate any advice!

if you have ruled out pain/discomfort of any kind, there are lots of different otc calming things you can try. i'd maybe start with some Rescue Remedy. if he is crate trained, that would be another step you could take. set his crate up in your room, if possible, so that he isn't alone. also, i'd cover all but the front of the crate with a blanket to make him a sort of "den" where he will feel secure. i'd try that and see if he settles. if so, crate him at night and in a few weeks, try leaving him out to see if he does ok. it's sort of like night terrors with small children...you may just have to "break the cycle".
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Cuddling with the pup is the best medicine.

Comment

Working...
      X