Getting rid of kennel for larger bed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of kennel for larger bed?

My Bear is 11 months now and is such a good boy. We have let him roam the house now since he was 8 months old and the only thing he's done is got a hold of my glasses. No other behavior problems while he is out and about when we're gone during the day. He sleeps on his doggy bed during the day and at night and his massive kennel right next to the dog bed is generally unused. It's more a of a storage for all of his dog toys and blankets than anything.
    We were thinking of maybe removing the kennel (because we never put him in there when we leave and he hardly goes in it at all) and replacing it with a larger doggy bed for him. Advice? Is it okay for him to not have a kennel even though he does go in it rarely to sleep?

I'd say it's fine. There's no hard and fast rule that all dogs have to be crated when left alone. Like my Dane, he's clearly shown that he can handle the responsibility of free roaming the house. Obviously if a dog is destructive then free roaming is a bad idea. But that doesn't seem to be the case with Bear.

I'm always an advocate for giving a dog as much freedom as they can handle.....if they act inappropriately, then rein it back to a level they can handle.

Comment

Working...
    X