Backpacking/Hiking w/ 9m Old Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking/Hiking w/ 9m Old Dane

First post to the forum. I have to say, I've had dogs all my life and loved every one of them.... But this is my first Dane, and she is incredible; absolutely perfect match to my personality and just wow

So - she's been active ever since I got her. Walks, daycare, dog parks... short hikes (1-2m) on local trails...etc. I think she has about 0% body fat and 1000% muscle right now - lol! I took her backpacking for the 1st time last weekend. Ended up hiking about 2.5m the first day and 1m the second (won't put a pack on her until she's at least 2yo). When we got to the lake the 1st day (the 2.5m) she still had TONS of gas in the tank and ran around the lake, jumping in the water, over logs, doing the loops around the site - literally for a couple hours....etc!! it was hilarious to watch

What is "too" far for a Dane at this age? Meaning, maybe she could go 5m in one day and back the next - BUT - what is OK for her developing joints? Just because she can doesn't mean we should. Thoughts???

Thanks!
    Matt

Originally posted by mchumdane View Post
    First post to the forum. I have to say, I've had dogs all my life and loved every one of them.... But this is my first Dane, and she is incredible; absolutely perfect match to my personality and just wow

So - she's been active ever since I got her. Walks, daycare, dog parks... short hikes (1-2m) on local trails...etc. I think she has about 0% body fat and 1000% muscle right now - lol! I took her backpacking for the 1st time last weekend. Ended up hiking about 2.5m the first day and 1m the second (won't put a pack on her until she's at least 2yo). When we got to the lake the 1st day (the 2.5m) she still had TONS of gas in the tank and ran around the lake, jumping in the water, over logs, doing the loops around the site - literally for a couple hours....etc!! it was hilarious to watch

What is "too" far for a Dane at this age? Meaning, maybe she could go 5m in one day and back the next - BUT - what is OK for her developing joints? Just because she can doesn't mean we should. Thoughts???

Thanks!
    Matt
    i think there's a pretty big spectrum among Danes, but yours sounds like she's on the active side for sure! There are a handful here who do agility, rally and other super active and engaging athletic activities - even ratting! My guy is more on the lazy side, but I do "interval jogging" with him when I can, never more than two miles. I've heard you shouldn't run or do too much strenuous activity with them until they're at least a year old, or maybe a bit older. (Zoomer is 3 1/2 now). Congrats, and welcome to the Dane club!!!

-Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

thanks! she is very active, I limited the hike to about 3 miles for the day loop but we got to a quiet beach and she ran and ran and ran... .and did I say she ran!!!! She was pooped when we got home!

Comment

A Dane that is not finished growing should not have unlimited forced exercise until growth is complete. Short walks/hikes are fine as is their own normal natural running and puppy play.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
        X