Potty Mouth…help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty Mouth…help!

My 6 month old has a terrible habit of eating her own poop. I've tried pineapple (she loves it), ForBid, Off Doody…none of them have worked. If I'm standing right there I can tell her no and she'll leave it, but I can't be there in the yard every second. Has anyone found something that works? I'm debating about trying a sprinkle of cayenne pepper on them to see if that will help.

As gross as it is for us humans for dogs stool eating is normal part of being a dog no matter if their own or that of others..Some products work for some dogs and not for others..you can try meat tenderizer or Distaste... short of picking it up immediately for some dogs there is nothing that really works because they are determined.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

She is definitely determined. If I'm even a couple steps away, she turns and hoovers as much as she can. What I find most distasteful about it is that she has smeared on her toys, her bed, my pants because she has bits left in her mouth or on her lips when she comes in the house.

Comment

If you are close enough to sprinkle something on it you might as well just pick it up.

Comment

Yeah, I know this sucks, convenience-wise. But honestly, I'd rather pick up the poops than have them in my dog's mouth, on me, or in my home. I've always had "apartment Danes" even with a yard, so I'm used to always picking up. I will never (in the future) allow my Dane to just poop in the yard all the time, as I've gotten used to just picking up during walks. I want a yard I can walk in and my kids can play in without worrying about land mines, lol. That said, I know those of you in more rural areas can't really relate to this viewpoint - and I get it.
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

When you say you've tried pineapple and she loves it, what are you doing with the pineapple? I heard if you put pineapple on their food, its makes their poop taste bad. Just wondering if you were feeding her the pineapple or putting it on the poop itself. LOL
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
              When you say you've tried pineapple and she loves it, what are you doing with the pineapple? I heard if you put pineapple on their food, its makes their poop taste bad. Just wondering if you were feeding her the pineapple or putting it on the poop itself. LOL
              I was feeding her the pineapple but it didn't have any effect on her not eating the poop.

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                Yeah, I know this sucks, convenience-wise. But honestly, I'd rather pick up the poops than have them in my dog's mouth, on me, or in my home. I've always had "apartment Danes" even with a yard, so I'm used to always picking up. I will never (in the future) allow my Dane to just poop in the yard all the time, as I've gotten used to just picking up during walks. I want a yard I can walk in and my kids can play in without worrying about land mines, lol. That said, I know those of you in more rural areas can't really relate to this viewpoint - and I get it.
                I have a fenced yard and the issue is not that I have a problem with scooping poop. I make sure that I'm there for the "expected" or on schedule poops but sometimes she throws in an unexpected poop and promptly consumes it. The issue is that I can't be with her every second and she comes back to the house with remnants of poop in her mouth which and up smeared on her toys, the furniture, my pants.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
                  If you are close enough to sprinkle something on it you might as well just pick it up.
                  My idea for sprinkling the cayenne on a couple poops would be the hope that it might deter her need to eat it when I'm not there to immediately scoop future poops.

Comment

Working...
                  X