Ovariectomy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovariectomy

Lily has gone through her first heat and we are scheduling her spay for August. Our vet has spoken to us about doing a laparoscopic ovariectomy and leaving the uterus versus a full hysterectomy. We are leaning to the first. Does anyone have experience or insight to share? Many thanks.

Yes! Don't do a regular spay. This link is very helpful. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...lth-risks.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by shelleyfried View Post
      Yes! Don't do a regular spay. This link is very helpful. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...lth-risks.aspx
      Actually, an ovariectomy is the opposite of what this particular article is promoting. For a female dog, the main source of hormones is the ovaries, not the uterus. If you wanted a dog to remain hormonally intact but not breedable you would do just a hysterectomy (remove the uterus) and leave the ovaries.

If you are looking to do a spay that takes away hormones (if you don't want your dog to go through the behaviours of heat cycles) removing just the ovaries is a less invasive surgery with faster healing times than removing the whole uterus and ovaries. The uterus without ovaries is inert and won't do anything. There's really no need to remove both, it's just a question of which part you want to remove and how much hormonal behaviour you can handle.
      sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
      Born July 7 2014
      Peach & Emily!

Comment

Sorry about that. I wasn't thinking properly. I actually don't spay at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shelleyfried View Post
          Sorry about that. I wasn't thinking properly. I actually don't spay at all.
          Yeah my girl is going on 3 and I haven't spayed yet either. At some point I'll probably want to do an ovary sparing spay on her just so I don't have to worry about pyometra as she gets older.
          sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
          Born July 7 2014
          Peach & Emily!

Comment

Working...
          X