Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brittmoore Animal Hospital (Ear Cropping)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brittmoore Animal Hospital (Ear Cropping)

Dr. Dikeman is with Brittmoore Animal Hospital in Houston, Texas. He did a fantastic job on Zeke's ears. I love the way they look. I was a bit worried at first, but everything is working out just fine. I drove from San Antonio to see him.

We asked for a "Medium Show Crop." What you see on the edges are the scabs that are falling off, and should give a nice clean edge to the ear when it's all healed up and stretched up during taping.

sigpic
    Zeke @ 9 Months

They look great. I considered Brittmore as my main vet (I live in houston) but read a horror story on here where someone's pup was administered Ace during a surgery and didn't make it. Scared me away. But most people seem to think highly of them and Dr Dikeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Dane Mom: Beauregard (M) 25 Weeks

Comment

Originally posted by -moppet- View Post
      They look great. I considered Brittmore as my main vet (I live in houston) but read a horror story on here where someone's pup was administered Ace during a surgery and didn't make it. Scared me away. But most people seem to think highly of them and Dr Dikeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I know exactly which thread your talking about, scared me to non stop research and reading. I was going to go with Dr. Schaffer in Frisco, but the drive from SA, staying over nite, and waiting till 10am the next day didn't fit in our family's schedule.

Dr. Dikeman was recommended from a breeder I found on that AKC site, and even another doctor at Brittmoore had good recommendations. Happy it's done though. Now to keep on with taping lol. Again your pups ears are sweet!
      sigpic
      Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Hi
        I saw this thread and wanted to reply. It is an older thread I see, however after reading the thread, I realized it was my post to this forum regarding the Dane baby lost after an ear crop due to the medication ACE given.
        It was my baby boy, Navarre, who died on our way home from Dr. Dikeman. I truly felt I should respond to this post. It was truly a devastating time for me, losing my baby boy to something entirely preventable.
        I also was completely impressed with the ear crop and the artistic talent Dr. Dikeman does have. However, how can you sedate a 16 week old baby just to tape his ears. Navarre was a baby. It was his first ear taping which was part of the package we agreed upon. Dr. Dikeman was to crop Navarre ears and completely take care of each taping in order to guarantee his ears would stand. The guarantee would be voided if I would attempt taping his ears.
        Navarres surgery and stitch removal went great. His crop was incredible. The Dr. Was not present at his first ear taping. His ears were healed and ready for his taping session. During this particular visit, Dr. Dikeman 2 techs ensured me they always taped ears and knew perfectly well how to tape Navarres ears. So, I anxiously allowed them to do so. We drove over 2 hours each way to visit this Dr. He was what we wanted as our Danes Dr. That's what we truly believed in our gut. So we made 5 hour trips for each visit and we were there, it was time to tape his ears and we trusted this clinic. I mean everything had gone so wonderful, what could go wrong? Plus it was just a visit to tape Navarres ears, something I knew home tobdo but I wanted the shoe crop and they notoriously fail due to the length of the ears but Dr. Dikeman guaranteed a beautiful standing crop if I agreed to let him do everything and the ears would stand within 6 weeks. He is a Dr. I thought and felt privledged to have found him.
        I lost Navarre on the way home after a simple ear taping. Navarre curled up and played his head in my lap on the way home. I also fell asleep. 30 minutes later, we stopped to get a drink and i attempted to wake my beautiful baby boy and he did not wake.
        Navarre died in my arms as him and I napped together. 30 minutes into our 2 hour drive home from the clinic. I was in total shock. Devastated, confused.
        I called the clinic. Extremely upset and requested to know exactly what, if anything, they had given my baby during a normal taping visit. The tech I spoke to explained that a sedative was given to Navarre to settle his anxiety before taping had began. They explained the drug was harmless and the drugs name was, for short, ACE. They continued to tell me to place my baby in my fridge and bring him in to the clinic on Monday (this was Friday) for a Necropsy. Obviously I would never think of placing my babies dead body in my homes fridge where my children and myself would see him every time we opened the fridge. I didn't need a Necropsy to know what killed my puppy. After a bit of research, which took place after grieving for months, is when I truly knew that ACE is a sedative that Great Danes are highly sensitive to. Why would a vet give or allow this drug be given to the Dane breed when I myself could easily find literature stating how deadly this drug was, especially to the Great Dane? My Navarre had become a statistic and this could have been prevented. That is when I learned not to trust anyone with my Danes lives. If you can't trust the Dr. Who should of known better only means I must learn how to protect each of the lives that depended on me. So I do just that and oil learn every day.
        So, it was my baby boy Navarre, who died way too young, at the age of 16 weeks old. I would never return to that clinic again. I am very happy your baby had no issues from his crop. His ears are beautiful. Maybe through Navarres experience, one less Dane is a statistic.

Elizabeth

Comment

Working...
        X