Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, TX

Houston, Texas:

Dr. Dan Jordan - Animal & Avian Hospital of the Village (Rice Village area) - my regular vet for Darby, Rocky, Cleo & Sweet Pea. And of course Prissy sees an equine only vet, but she also has a special equine vet for those other "issues" that come up... If anyone needs any good equine vets, let me know!

Dr. Mike Dikeman - Brittmore Animal Clinic (I-10 & Beltway 8) - my mentors use him for anything unusual & there is also a good repo. vet at this clinic. I have also been to see him, for a problem, and was highly impressed.
    ------------------------
    Great Danes Online
    www.danesonline.com
    ------------------------
    Great Danes Online Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/danesonline
    ------------------------
    Admin Blog
    -------------//--------------

Houston, TX

Dr. Martin - Critter Fixer - Northside off Louetta. Only there Fri and Sat.

Comment

I use Marina Bay Animal Hospital in Kemah. They are very nice.
      My Crew:
      Dooley - Lab/ dane mix, black, Rescued Sept 2007
      Lily- Great Dane, merle, Given to us June 2008
      Izzy- Great Dane, White, Picked up April 2010

Comment

Dr. Keadle at Longenbaugh Veterinary Hospital (Longenbaugh and Highway 6, Copperfield area)

We go there for Jethro's vaccinations and his neuter. They did a really good job and he is thorough on check ups.
        - Victoria -
        Proud mother of Jethro (born 03/11/2009)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          Houston, Texas:

Dr. Dan Jordan - Animal & Avian Hospital of the Village (Rice Village area) - my regular vet for Darby, Rocky, Cleo & Sweet Pea. And of course Prissy sees an equine only vet, but she also has a special equine vet for those other "issues" that come up... If anyone needs any good equine vets, let me know!

Dr. Mike Dikeman - Brittmore Animal Clinic (I-10 & Beltway 8) - my mentors use him for anything unusual & there is also a good repo. vet at this clinic. I have also been to see him, for a problem, and was highly impressed.
          Going to have to disagree about Dr. Dan Jordan. We took Odin to him recently. His staff was incredibly friendly, but the doctor himself was simply dour and not very knowledgeable in our opinion.

Comment

We've had great luck with Dr. Jordan. I could see how some might label him "dour " but I've always found him to be very helpful and friendly (he just has a somewhat low key voice and way of going about things). He welcomes my questions and is willing to take the time to talk through issues with me.

The techs and staff are all extremely friendly and helpful 100% of the time.

I don't love that they sell Science Diet, but it's hard to find vets that don't these days.
            sigpic
            Aoife: "Squirrel?!"

Comment

Thank you for the info.. on a side note, im glad to see other dane owners from the houston area I always felt like I was the only one..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
              sigpic

Comment

We live in the Houston area too.

Comment

We use Dr. Emily Taylor at West Houston Veterinary Clinic
                  13560 Briar Forest Dr Houston, TX 77077
                  (281) 493-3436

Comment

My experience (a little long)

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    Houston, Texas:

I saw this thread and was curious-hoping to find a wonderful vet who could possibly become my girls health care provider, I started reading. It surprised me to see right off that this clinic and particular Dr. would immediately pop up.

Sorry if this is a bit long, but I want to tell my story because I feel my story may not be isolated (and then again, it may be) . So, I will try and tell my experience the best I can and probably while crying at some point.

I purchased a beautiful baby boy and wanted all the best for him. I followed everything by the book, but it would be my first mistake that would ultimately take his life. Now, in hindsight, I have learned so much about being proactive when it comes to medications or procedures that I allow to be performed on any of my pets. After his death at only 3 months old and After many days of extensive and exhaustive research and many phone calls, I have learned it was not my fault what happened to Navarre, with the exception of not being knowledgeable and allowing my dog to be subjected to cruel procedures which opened the door to medications that would take his life.

I was extremely impressed with Dr. Dikeman and his knowledge of the Great Dane breed. I was impressed with the clinic as a whole. I found this dr. while looking for an experienced Dr and staff to take Navarre to and have his ears cropped and a Dr. that would ultimately become Navarre's caretaker throughout his life. This was extremely important to me, of course as it would be for anyone. After many questions and calling many clinics, I chose Dr. Dikeman that was over 2 hours away from my home, but it would be worth the drive to have a Dr. for my Navarre.

The ear crop was planned out and communication was awesome. The price, I thought was great considering all the work the Dr. had inclusively promised, including aftercare in which he did all the ear taping and rolling in which Navarres ears should stand by 6 weeks post op. The surgery went really well with the exception of an allergy to his first antibiotic, which was corrected by being put on a different course of antibiotics. The biggest mistake was allowing Navarre to swallow the deadly medication that was prescribed for his pain - Acepromazine. I trusted Dr. Dikeman, I wanted to trust Dr. Dikeman but not at the cost of my beloved puppy's life. This was my fault since I DID NOT do the research on this drug. At Navarres second ear rolling and the removal of his sutures, the vet was not in the office on the scheduled date (I was a little upset) but the sutures had to be removed and it was a simple procedure.
                    The two techs assured me they did this all the time. They told me that he would have to take a dose of the acepromazine for sedation of the procedure. I really did not understand this since I could see the sutures and in all reality, if I wanted to remove them myself, I could have. They were loose and easily could be cut. But, I knew that I should trust since this is what I hired this staff to do and I had told myself to trust. The techs gave Navarre a dose of the acepromazine and after a 30 minute wait, he was ready for his procedure. Navarre didn't even move during the procedure and it was over within ten minutes, suture removal, wrapping and all. They did comment that he was a really big boy for his age being 65 lbs. Maybe they were intimidated by his size, but they did this all the time, right?

We left the clinic happy with Navarre in our arms since he was sedated and a little loopy but with assurances from the staff that he was ok, we left for our 2 hour drive back home to return in two more weeks for another tape and roll.

We were thirty minutes in our drive back home and Navarre had laid his head on my lap and we both fell asleep. My friend who was driving stopped at a little store for something to drink and he woke me up and we both exited the car. Navarre never woke up when I moved his head from lap gently and I thought and remarked to my friend how he was really exhausted from the experience. We ran in to the store and took our places back in the car where I looked at Navarre and I commented on how he had not even moved during all the commotion, which was extremely unlike him. My friend called his name then reached back to arouse him. That is when I completely lost it and broke down when we found out that Navarre was not breathing. My friend tried to resuscitate, thinking it had just happened, but Navarres tongue was purple. We realized that he must of died in the thirty minutes we drove after leaving the hospital. I had no idea that taking the drug acepromazine, had killed my beloved Navarre. Of course I called the clinic and they were closed, it was Saturday. I was hysterical and so very confused. We had to drive the remaining hour and a half home with my puppy dead beside me. My friend buried Navarre before my children would be told.

The Nurse at the clinic called me that following Monday and told me to put Navarre in the fridge and bring him back up for a Necropsy, that I would have to pay for myself. I still had no idea why Navarre had died because he was fine prior the trip to the Dr. I, of course was not going to dig my puppy up and place his 65 pound body in the fridge for my kids to see when they poured a glass of milk. I wanted to know why he died in his sleep and after extensive reading and research and phone calls to other vets, I learned about the drug acepromazine and how it should NOT be used on Great Danes.

That is my story about this vet. I may be an isolated case, I hope so. But, why would this doctor use such a controversial drug on my Navarre? He was so young. He was beautiful inside and out and he was my heart dog. I was devastated at the loss. I felt it was my fault. I have a five month old great dane girl now who has natural ears. I will never crop again. I love her ears, they are really soft and I love to rub them. If I would not of cropped, my Navarre would be alive today. I no longer use Dr. Dikemans services because I feel he should of known the dangers of this medication when given to Great Danes, especially a puppy. Not to mention that it was given for such a simple procedure. Navarre was kind to everyone, maybe it was his size and it intimidated the techs so they felt safer if he was sedated. I should of never allowed them to dope my puppy up for this procedure. I know that now. That is the reason I am reading this thread, to find a vet that others rave about. However, I must say, I am scared to death to trust any.

My Navarre - Rest in peace my beautiful baby

Elizabeth
                    Elizabeth
                    sigpic
                    Makenna Rose

Comment

Post below has me worried. I was given a suggestion to Brittmoore by a breeder in Houston. She mentioned that all of her dogs get their ears cropped by Dr. Dikeman. Thank you for sharing, I will sure do my research on that pain med given and ask about it before hand.
                      sigpic
                      Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Working...
                      X