Spay/gastropexy in PA??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spay/gastropexy in PA??

Any recommendations for vets in PA who have experience with the preventive gastropexy? Preferably central PA.

I have a good vet and he was honest enough to admit he's only done emergency gastropexies and recommended I find someone with better experience.

I drove 3 hours to Finn's breeder's vet to have it done laparoscopically. It's in North Ridgeville, OH. Probably too far for you, but just thought I'd mention it. You could always check with any local reputable Dane breeders or ask your closest Great Dane Club for a recommendation.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

The only place I can recommend is probably around a 2hr drive from Harrisburg.
      sigpic

Comment

I live in northeastern/central Pennsylvania. It's an hour north of Harrisburg but I would recommend my vet. If you're interested in where they are PM me.

Comment

I'm getting ready to schedule a laparoscopic spay and pexy at a surgical hospital in Frederick Maryland. (care.carefrederick.com)that's not too far over the Maryland/Pennsylvania line. I'll let you know how it goes if interested.
          sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
          Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
          Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Yes - let me know! Thanks!

Comment

Will do.

Comment

I am very impressed with the surgical hospital and staff that just performed Celle's lap spay and pexy. Very clean, smells clean, understanding and professional staff all in uniform. I met first with a Tech who met Celle initially and asked me about her ... next came the Tech who was responsible for monitoring her anesthesia. He knew exactly what was to be used, and was well informed about great Danes and anesthesia concerns. Next, the Vet who is performing the procedure spent almost an hour with Celle and I about the different types of spay options, different types of procedures, different types of pexy techniques. She is a very confident high-tech professional who immediately gained my trust. She put me at ease and I came home feeling that I made a good decision about choosing what type of procedure I had and for them to do it. They are an emergency hospital, so when I dropped Celle off at 8am Tuesday morning, there was no guarantee that she would be scheduled first. And apparently she had to wait, because she didn't get out of surgery until noon. Dr. Phelps called me as soon as she was in recovery to let me know that Celle did really well during the procedure, and that she would evaluate her at 4:30 to determine if she was stable enough for me to bring her home. Since bringing her home, they have made two follow up calls to see how we are doing and schedule her appointment to have her stitches removed. I would highly recommend this facility ... from the front desk staff, to Techs and Vet's; everyone genuinely handles your pet, and nervous Mom's with great care. The only down side was the cost. Much more than I expected.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - FYI my vet quoted $660 just for the spay. The quote for the spay pexy was $1400 to $1900 from the veterinary hospital associated with the place my last Dane had energency surgery for bloat. They do seem to be experienced in non-emergency situations as well. But yeah, I never thought the cost would be that high. It just seems all my vet bills with the new pup are much higher than before!

Comment

Same with me .... my last girl was spayed 16 years ago, and it about $300.00. This was $2700.00 (laparoscopic spay and pexy)by the time everything was tallied. I had ordered additional blood work, and the blood clotting test, pain meds, anti-inflammatory, stomach meds. Yikes !! But it is was it is. They did a good job

Comment

Working...
                    X