Housing Troubles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Troubles

Anyone in the PDX or Vancouver area know of any places willing to rent to danes? I have a pretty good income but am having a really hard time finding a place that takes big dogs, let alone Great Danes. If you know any places or private landlords and want to help me out I would really appreciate it!
    sigpic
    Wally - 5/16/2014 (Fawn Male)

This may sound silly, but can you clarify where PDX and Vancouver are? I know of PDX as in Portland, OR airport. And Vancouver as in Vancouver, Canada and also Vancouver, WA. And I see your post lists Washington...

I've been doing some research on Dane friendly places in Eugene, Oregon and Seattle, WA as I've been accepted to both for grad school. So I'm also interested in hearing what people say.
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Hey Lisa! Congrats on grad school! PDX is Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA is literally 5 minutes north but is in Washington state (which is actually where I work). You can find much more inexpensive dog friendly places in Eugene (since it's much more remote/hippy/college town) vs. the city atmosphere of Portland and Seattle. I know Seattle has a HUGE dane community and is pretty dog friendly but it's very expensive to live. My challenge is I'm not that well employed (can't afford the nicer communities that are completely dog friendly) and also I'm not willing to live somewhere unsafe. Let me know if you have any other questions about the area
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KaileeO View Post
        Hey Lisa! Congrats on grad school! PDX is Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA is literally 5 minutes north but is in Washington state (which is actually where I work). You can find much more inexpensive dog friendly places in Eugene (since it's much more remote/hippy/college town) vs. the city atmosphere of Portland and Seattle. I know Seattle has a HUGE dane community and is pretty dog friendly but it's very expensive to live. My challenge is I'm not that well employed (can't afford the nicer communities that are completely dog friendly) and also I'm not willing to live somewhere unsafe. Let me know if you have any other questions about the area
        Yes I've noticed the housing that allows large dogs is less expensive in Eugene, for sure. I have found plenty of apartment buildings in Portland that allow large dogs - they are fairly pricey but still a lot less than here in Los Angeles. (Ranging from $1300-$1700 or so for mostly one bedroom units).

If we choose UW Seattle we will do the university family housing, which is around $1100 or so for 2-3 bedroom, one bath units.
        -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Good lord. I don't even pay $1,300 for my 3000 sq ft house! Suddenly I appreciate living in the boonies in the Midwest.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I would say thanks but...😜
            -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Argh... I spoke too soon. The $1100 family housing units do not allow pets unless they are service / therapy animals. While I had planned to try training Zoomer as a service and therapy dog, my timeline was quite a bit longer than what this would necessitate. So irritated!!! I am also really turned off by the information they require that to me is very personal/invasive - medical diagnoses plus further documentation from your MD describing the needs/accomodations etc. I would have to go back to our healthcare provider from YEARS ago to get paperwork and I'm not sure they would be willing to write an extensive report since we are no longer insured there anyway.

That said, I did find a 2 bedroom, 1 bath place near UW that *only* runs $1830. Eat your heart out Chaucey!!!

PS: I'm now kicking myself for not pushing hubby into being open to moving as far as Indiana or Wisconsin. I found a gorgeous house for rent in Bloomington, IN for like $1100. Huge yard, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Gah.
              -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                Argh... I spoke too soon. The $1100 family housing units do not allow pets unless they are service / therapy animals. While I had planned to try training Zoomer as a service and therapy dog, my timeline was quite a bit longer than what this would necessitate. So irritated!!! I am also really turned off by the information they require that to me is very personal/invasive - medical diagnoses plus further documentation from your MD describing the needs/accomodations etc. I would have to go back to our healthcare provider from YEARS ago to get paperwork and I'm not sure they would be willing to write an extensive report since we are no longer insured there anyway.

That said, I did find a 2 bedroom, 1 bath place near UW that *only* runs $1830. Eat your heart out Chaucey!!!

PS: I'm now kicking myself for not pushing hubby into being open to moving as far as Indiana or Wisconsin. I found a gorgeous house for rent in Bloomington, IN for like $1100. Huge yard, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Gah.
                Yeah, it may not be the most exciting place to live, but it's super affordable. My first apartment in Indy (admittedly in the ghetto) was $450/month, 800 sq ft. My second was 900 sq ft and $650/month. Seriously can't believe how expensive it is to live on the coast. Bloomington is a nice area...plus we could have had Dane play dates in Indy when I visited my brother!
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

We managed to snag a place for $900 a month, with decent square footage and they allow Wally . It's incredibly hard with the big dog thing but doable. We are getting a steal though and I have been apartment hunting for almost a year.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X