Question for Ontario Dane Owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Ontario Dane Owners

I know this area is for vet referrals. But I was wondering if owners from Ontario got your furry friends from breeders, rescues or BYBs, or outside Ontario?

I'm starting my search/research and was curious. Not looking for breeder names.

Thanks!

I'm in Ottawa now, but my harl boy is the product of a BYB near Halifax and my fawn boy is from Wisconsin. Birch Haven is an awesome rescue nearby that specializes in giant breeds and Danes in Distress is Ontario as well. There are several good breeders depending on where you're located and what colour you're looking for.
    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Danes in distress I checked out, but I don't meet their criteria ( student, apartment). Haden't come across birch haven but I will check them out for sure. I'm a shelter girl at heart and would love to rescue if I found the right fit. Looking for a fawn or harlequin, willing to drive within Ontario, but I'm moving to London in the fall.

Your boys came a long way to be with you. Must have been meant to be

Comment

I moved from Halifax last September, so I got Zephyr locally. Riddle I drove from Halifax to pick up, he's my show prospect.
        Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
        Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

My two boys...although I didn't get them from a 'rescue', I rescued them (at 4 months and 6 months) from less than ideal house holds (they were probably from byb's). I am in London too!

You could try humane society/animal control, and there is another group (in Waterloo) called Friendly Giants. They usually foster out, but you could try and contact them for guidance, or they might have some information to help you out. http://www.friendlygiantsdogrescue.com/adopt.asp
          Donna
          Max (DOB-Apr 28-2013; gotcha date-Aug 23-2013)
          Dyson (DOB-Sept 9-2013; gotcha date-Mar 8-2014)
          Willow (DOB-Jan 26-2014; gotcha date-Oct 31-2015)

sigpic

Comment

Thank you!!! I'll check that out for sure. And may possibly bombard you with London related questions when the time eventually comes provided you don't mind

Comment

Absolutely!! Always willing to help out if I can!!
              Donna

sigpic

Comment

hi! I am from Windsor, Ontario! I got my girl from a BYB (I didn't know at the time that there was even such thing! !! ) but I can help you with any questions. Have you considered looking in Michigan? I know it's a couple hours of a drive from London but it may be closer than some places heading up into Northern Ontario

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Another Windsorite I live there currently, not moving to London until September, but it's where I plan to stay for the foreseeable future. I've been looking in Michigan as well. How old is your furry friend ? Do you use the dog parks around town ?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerbilauta View Post
                    Another Windsorite I live there currently, not moving to London until September, but it's where I plan to stay for the foreseeable future. I've been looking in Michigan as well. How old is your furry friend ? Do you use the dog parks around town ?
                    oh that's awesome! haha
                    I have a one year old mini doxie and my dane will by 6 months on June 7th! I haven't braved The dog parks yet! my doxie has next to no recall and an extremely high prey drive. He is way too stubborn... ugh. and my dane hasn't been yet. I can't wait to bring her though. she hasn't been well and I haven't wanted to chance it so I am waiting a little longer before I take her! I will basically live there when i get an okay from the vet because she needs to be socialized more. poor thing has been cooped up in the house with occassional outings.

Comment

Originally posted by melissa.lynn View Post
                      oh that's awesome! haha
                      I have a one year old mini doxie and my dane will by 6 months on June 7th! I haven't braved The dog parks yet! my doxie has next to no recall and an extremely high prey drive. He is way too stubborn... ugh. and my dane hasn't been yet. I can't wait to bring her though. she hasn't been well and I haven't wanted to chance it so I am waiting a little longer before I take her! I will basically live there when i get an okay from the vet because she needs to be socialized more. poor thing has been cooped up in the house with occassional outings.

Poor puppy! Not sure if you know but the humane society has a dog park that can be accessed through yearly membership. All members must be vaccinated, there is a lock on the park and only other users are the shelter dogs ( adoptable ) who have had vaccines too. Also it's rare that you'll find more than one dog in there so while it's not great for socialization it's awesome for great big, fenced off worry free play time

Hopefully she recovers soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus' Mom View Post
                        Absolutely!! Always willing to help out if I can!!

Thanks so much! I have a stubborn little kitty and a budgie currently. Any vet recommendations? I'll be living on the west side of Western ( I believe!) and car-less. So accessible would be a plus but not a necessity TIA.

Comment

I know there are many. I am in the South East End of London (by the 401), so my vet is in Dorchester. I have no specific recommendations, but I have lots of pet parents as friends, so I will ask around!
                          Donna

sigpic

Comment

Asked a friend of mine, and she said Masonville Animal Hospital, or a relatively new one (Wonderland Road and Beaverbrook Ave), but was unsure of the name. You could probably google 'north west London vet' and it would give you a bunch im sure. Just take down some numbers of those by where you are moving to, and give them a call. Ask about hours, payment plans, vet specialty, and of course if they are familiar with the breed you get. If you can get the name of the vet, you can also look them up to make sure there are good reviews. Hope this helps.
                            Donna

sigpic

Comment

This helps for sure! Thanks so much. Will be adding this to my list of things to do before I move.

Comment

Working...
                              X