Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vets and Trainers

Hi Everyone -
    My husband and I are still trying to find a good vet for Tucker. We live in Topeka, Ks, and I'm really starting to wonder if the Vets here even know that big dogs exist! Our breeder and this website have been my saving grace for the last several weeks. I've checked out several links on this website and so far no luck. I'm even willing to travel a little if needed to find a really good vet for Tucker. I do have to share a bit of exciting news though...his knuckling problem is totally corrected! He's got some acne, but I've been putting into practice all the advice from here. He really is a 31 lbs. chihuahua at heart!!!
    ~ Erin ~
    "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
    sigpic

Banfield inside of petsmart. I ADORE THEM. Dr. Natalie Matika is FANTASTIC! I personally recommend their puppy plan; it covers shots, and neuter surgery. Plus, they can gastropexy your boy at the same time for $180 as the neuter and anesthesia are already covered. I have both Sparta and our basset, Freyja covered under their puppy plan. As far as negatives ive heard on local vets, i've been told to avoid Stone House by many people.

If you do stop in, be sure to tell them Sparta's Mom sent you!

Do be careful with trainers- AVOID K-9 LIKE THE PLAGUE. please. Ive heard many horror stories. I need to find his phone number again, but I've had a trainer out to my place twice, and he was awesome. Very nice, all about positive reinforcement.
    Last edited by Adya; 03-19-2011, 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot trainer information

Comment

Have you tried contacting the Great Dane Club of Greater Kansas City and asked if they can give you any referrals for vets/trainers who are familiar with giant breeds in the area?
      sigpic
      In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
      Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Great idea!

I didn't even think about contacting the KC club. I've really just started looking into them, but I would love to get more involved. There's a show coming up in May, that I'm not going to miss for the world! We've been going to Dr. Kamer. He's not too bad, but I definetely want a Dane expert for my boy. I will check those places out for sure. Thanks for the suggestions!
        ~ Erin ~
        "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
        sigpic

Comment

Let me know if you want to car pool to the show; No sense in us both driving! I've been planning to attend as well.

Comment

For Kansas City Area...

Our regular vet is KState trained, Dr. Gib Benshcoter at Mission Road Animal Clinic. Dr. Benshoter has been all three of our Great Dane's only vet. Great clinic, awesome staff, online appointments and Rx refills.

http://missionroadanimalclinic.com/

If you need an emergency vet, like in the dreaded case of bloat/GDV or an injury/illness your reg vet cannot treat, my other favorite is Dr. Nicole Smee at VCA Veterinary Specialty on Johnson Dr, between Nall and Lamar. Dr. Smee is also KState trained and she has three Great Danes of her own.

Dr. Eric Wilson is who did our girls Laparascopic Gastropexy and we'll have our new 15month old boy there in June for a pexy and neuter after he gets his one-night stand.

http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/miss...tments-doctors
            Shawn Riedel

sigpic
            Sophie - 6yr old American Black
            Taggart - 2yr old European Blue
            Winston - God wanted him back at 5.
            Spencer, Buddy, Missy - our cat brood.

Comment

Working...
            X