Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleased to introduce...

Mickey!

My dad, who owns Bella, the 3 yr old black Dane, adopted him on Friday from a rescue we didn't even know existed in our town. The rescue turns out to be awesome, and has shut down 3 puppy mills and rescued some awesome dogs from horrible situations.

So here's Mickey! He's an 18 month old Deaf Dane. 32 inches and 130 lbs currently. He is about 90% Deaf or so. He can hear really loud things. His sight is fine, even though he had to have two eye surgeries.

The story for him is that he and his hearing and sight impaired brother Stratton were bought from a person who wanted to use them as sires. Yeah. They were going to sire off him, a DEAF Dane, and his BLIND and DEAF brother to get puppies and sell the puppies for $5,000 a piece. A friend of the rescue heard about this, pulled up in her cop car, and asked about them. The people then gladly sold the brothers off for a couple hundred.

Mickey (previously Briggs) and Stratton both had kennel cough coming in. While Mickey got better, Stratton did not, and he later developed pneumonia. He died, then, and Mickey went into severe depression. The two were really attached, and were the only two surviving pups in the litter, then Stratton died and...yeah. Mickey lost 15+ lbs due to depression and almost died himself.

Finally he started to come out of his depression and get well. He was neutered and had his two eye surgeries done to separate his two eyelids so that he could see, and he was then put up for adoption!

He is the sweetest thing ever. He loves everyone and everything. Bella was a bit sketchy about him and barked and growled, but since he couldn't hear it, he didn't react, which calmed Bella down and now they are best friends.

Just had to share!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 21softballstar; 09-25-2016, 06:18 PM. Reason: Stupid pictures...
    sigpic
    Willow and Liv

Aww, that face.
    What a sad story . He's had a rough life dealt to him so far. So glad you guys adopted him and can give him the life he deserves.

Is he trained in sign language at all?
    ~Kelsey, mom to~
    Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
    Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
    Cece- Calico 4 years
    Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
    Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
      Aww, that face.
      What a sad story . He's had a rough life dealt to him so far. So glad you guys adopted him and can give him the life he deserves.

Is he trained in sign language at all?
      He knows sit, which is just open palm over his head. He has to back up 50 steps before he sits, but he sits

We've just started teaching down (pointing the ground) and come, obviously. He's starting to understand that one.

It's totally awesome that he loves everyone and everything. You would think that a dog from that situation and went through so much and most likely never got socialized would have more problems with people and other dogs, but dogs don't affect him at all, and he's always dragging us to go meet strangers.

PS. He's ears look like a bad crop job XD. His brown one (maybe because that one is brown is why he isn't 100% Deaf?) is always straight flopped over on his head, and the other one does so occasionally. It's like they were cropped but never stood, so they just topple over, lol.
      sigpic
      Willow and Liv

Comment

Originally posted by 21softballstar View Post
        He knows sit, which is just open palm over his head. He has to back up 50 steps before he sits, but he sits

I know how that goes lol. Nala is the same way. When I try to take a picture of her by the time her but finally touches the ground, she's nowhere near where I wanted her to sit.

We've just started teaching down (pointing the ground) and come, obviously. He's starting to understand that one.

that's cool, I've always wanted a deaf dane. I think it would be so much fun working on training. There's one in a local rescue here, but the city says I can only have 2 dog's. My 1 bedroom apartment agrees with that as well lol.

It's totally awesome that he loves everyone and everything. You would think that a dog from that situation and went through so much and most likely never got socialized would have more problems with people and other dogs, but dogs don't affect him at all, and he's always dragging us to go meet strangers.
        I saw a harness once that had "deaf dog" printed on it. That may be a good thing to get for when your out and about. It sounds like he's really good with people, but you know some nut job will come along someday and shove there face in his face or something. This would let people know he's deaf and they'd be more inclined to ask first before interacting.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
        Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Congrats to your Dad on the new addition to the fam! Very cool that he's in a good home now
          sigpic

Comment

I think his ears look uncropped, just wonky. They seem to have the normal ear edge of an uncropped ear. Bad crops (which would be typical in this situation) leave the ear edge thick and very unnatural looking.

He's still very majestic and regal looking.

Mouse wasn't socialized at all, but he was with his dog family until about six months. Parents, other dogs, all mixed. Dog that can free-practice normal interaction with other dogs well into older puppy hood are often more stable. Mouse is a rock of stability. Sometimes I think the forced "socialization" people do with dogs causes more harm than good. What people think of as a great socialization activity can often be highly damaging to a puppy.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
              I saw a harness once that had "deaf dog" printed on it. That may be a good thing to get for when your out and about. It sounds like he's really good with people, but you know some nut job will come along someday and shove there face in his face or something. This would let people know he's deaf and they'd be more inclined to ask first before interacting.
              Yeah, this one person my dad knows who has a Deaf Dane, a hearing Dane, and a Deaf/blind Dane makes these handkerchief/necktie things that say "I'm Deaf" on them, so I think he is going to get one of those.

ETA: Here's an adorable video of him playing with the kong wubba. He loves it and can't even hear the squeaker. https://youtu.be/STF_eJYmns4
              Last edited by 21softballstar; 09-26-2016, 07:42 AM.
              sigpic
              Willow and Liv

Comment

How fabulous so see him so happy after such a poor start in life and losing his brother! Thanks to your dad!!! And Welcome to Mickey!
                sigpicKelly

Comment

Working...
                X