No announcement yet.

Finally saying hey after almost 2 Yrs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally saying hey after almost 2 Yrs.

Hello everybody,

So the sad part is I signed up here just almost 2 years ago, and this is my first post..

Im Eric, Have a wife and kiddo who just turned 3. When I was growing up we had very good family friends (my best friend) who had a dane and from that point on I knew one day I wanted my own. I literally have been waiting for the right time in life, and now that im 31, have a little girl, and have the financial means to do so Im hard on the hunt.

We live in the NW corner of Arkansas currently, not exactly our forever home but home for now.

Its good to meet everyone and finally post this up. Its a little frustrating because this breeder search over the last 8 months to a year has NOT gone well.... I realize that's another subject here but who would have thought it would be so hard to try and get a new member for our family.

All the breeders semi close (and id be happy to drive 6 or 8 hrs one way+) either don't reply, don't have any litters anywhere close planned, or are simply no longer breeding and offer little to no help...

After what seems like years of research I really want/need to do this right the first time, especially with a 3YO. It just makes it tough..

Anyways im not giving up hope, we will look forward to searching this forum and getting out there and posting a little more.

We currently know absolutely no one local with any danes so if your in the area we would love to talk a little bit..

Hope everyone is doing well..

Eric
    sigpic

Just curious, but have you tried calling or just email? And is there a certain color you want?
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

If you are having trouble imo look up your local dane club and go to some shows. This is a great way to meet breeders.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
        Just curious, but have you tried calling or just email? And is there a certain color you want?
        Both, but to be fair the majority has been via email. Maybe phone only is the best bet? I can see how that is more personal.

My Wife would love a harlequin, I would love a harlequin or Fawn as my ideal first picks, and a merle would be a close favored color as well but I do understand that's not one of the ideal (show) GD colors....

Truthfully though I want/need a HEALTHY new addition to our family, not just a pet, and id take a healthy, happy, good temperament before id nit-pick on a certain color...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tiva View Post
          If you are having trouble imo look up your local dane club and go to some shows. This is a great way to meet breeders.
          That is a great idea, and also one I just stumbled on today reading some of the "sticky" posts. I will look into that.. Thank you
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwater View Post
            Both, but to be fair the majority has been via email. Maybe phone only is the best bet? I can see how that is more personal.

My Wife would love a harlequin, I would love a harlequin or Fawn as my ideal first picks, and a merle would be a close favored color as well but I do understand that's not one of the ideal (show) GD colors....

Truthfully though I want/need a HEALTHY new addition to our family, not just a pet, and id take a healthy, happy, good temperament before id nit-pick on a certain color...
            If you aren't looking to show, your chances of getting a harl likely aren't that great. You'd be in line behind any potential show homes, but merles are always for pet homes because they are not a show color. Have you checked the GDCA website breeder list? There are some in OK and MO on there. And if you are attempting to contact either A- an "old school" breeder, or B- a very busy breeder, your chances are probably much better via phone. Tell him/her you are interested in a dog for (pet, show, OB, therapy, whatever), and would like to meet him/her and see if your family and the breeder might be a good fit.
            sigpic
            Fergus
            Eisen Shark

Comment

Thanks again for the helpful info Suzanne,

Over the last week I have spoken with some beyond great breeders, (not local) and although they have no litters planned anytime soon I have had exceptional help with multiple excellent referrals.

It looks like I will have a decent drive ahead of me when the time comes, but Im ok with that. Im simply happy to have a few potential options.

Still enjoying the great Forum, Tons of excellent info for us new to the breed.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwater View Post
                Thanks again for the helpful info Suzanne,

Over the last week I have spoken with some beyond great breeders, (not local) and although they have no litters planned anytime soon I have had exceptional help with multiple excellent referrals.

It looks like I will have a decent drive ahead of me when the time comes, but Im ok with that. Im simply happy to have a few potential options.

Still enjoying the great Forum, Tons of excellent info for us new to the breed.
                If it helps, we drove 3 hours for our puppy, but 16 (one way) for our adult...totally worth it. It's a trip you only have to make once (or twice if you want to visit the litter). It's worth the drive for a great pup from a great breeder, and they're not always local.
                sigpic
                Chaucey
                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                  If it helps, we drove 3 hours for our puppy, but 16 (one way) for our adult...totally worth it. It's a trip you only have to make once (or twice if you want to visit the litter). It's worth the drive for a great pup from a great breeder, and they're not always local.
                  Fergus came from NE Ohio and had to be flown here, and Eisen was a 5 hour drive (each way) and that was "close".
                  sigpic
                  Fergus
                  Eisen Shark

Comment

Working...
                  X