Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member and new Dane owner here. Meet Eugene!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new Dane owner here. Meet Eugene!

Hey Y'all,

So at the age 27, I just got my first dog. My wife and I decided on a Dane for many of the same reasons we all do - some of which include their laid back temperament and their friendliness around others (babies included).

Here is a video of Eugene I put together the other night. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tvdc84w4v3E

Is there a way to embed videos here? Id prefer to do that instead of links.

Thanks,
    Matt
    - Matt and Eugene
    sigpic

Welcome!!! He's so handsome! What an awesome video.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Zanth! I enjoy taking photos and making videos. Im sure I will have quite a few pics and vids of Eugene to contribute here as he grows.

Anyone know if we can embed videos into a post?

At what age do they start sleeping through the night?

Thanks,
      Matt
      - Matt and Eugene
      sigpic

Comment

He's a beautiful puppy great name love it. We got our first Dane a month ago now she was 5 & 1/2 weeks old she slept with me and the wife. We put her in her kennel with a blanket and a t shirt I was wearing and she finally slept in it after about a week. I brought it to the living room and when she would fall asleep I would lay her in it. She would wake up in there and then she started going in it to nap all by herself. Now she is 11 weeks old and sleeps the whole night thru she will go get in it now around 9-9:30. It took a couple of days to break her from wanting to be with us. We finally had to close all the doors and she cried herself to sleep one night. It was horrible I felt like I was letting my kid suffer. But we had to do it. Good luck hope to see more pictures and videos of him as he grows.

Comment

Haha, yeah letting Eugene cry is definitely kind of sad - though I know we need to let him do it. We have done the same, placing him in the crate after he falls asleep. We havent done it consistently yet though, but he has started going in by himself. It just seems that whether in the crate or not, he wakes up around 4:30AM.

Also, at 8 weeks old, it doesnt seem that he has full use of his back legs. Maybe they havent developed enough yet? He struggles to get up sometimes. We do have hardwood floors, so that slick surface doesnt help. Just wondering if its normal at this age.

Thanks,
          Matt
          - Matt and Eugene
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome, cute puppy! Finn came home at 9 weeks and was sleeping for 8 hours straight within the first few days, but I don't think that's really typical. If he's only waking you up once during the night, that's pretty good. Dane puppies are not the most coordinated. Have you thought about putting some runners or rugs down? Even at 11 months and almost 3, our two go slip sliding on our laminate flooring in the kitchen.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Aw what a cute video. Your pup is so handsome. Welcome to the forum.
              sigpicBae and Chip hanging out together for the first time.

Comment

He's adorable - of course I'm partial to Fawns! And every other color, lol.

😊
                -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Thank you for the welcomes! He usually only wakes up once during the night, but after taking him out to potty, he wants to play instead of go back to sleep. Lol, and then he likes to sleep quite a bit during the day. Im sure all that will change as he gets older.

We actually pulled up two of our big rugs because he was using them as places to go potty. He doesnt so much do that on the hardwood floors. Actually, I think he has only gone on the hardwoods once. So once we get the potty and crate training done, we will put the rugs back down.
                  - Matt and Eugene
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X