Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the "Danes".

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
    I assume by chromosome testing, you mean DNA testing for color? No idea why he would bother to do that, unless he is trying to breed "rare" colors, as neither merle nor fawn mantle is a color that should be bred. Despite the fact that both dogs were given to him vs adopted from a rescue, he still shouldn't be breeding them. Other than the color issue, he has no idea what sort of problems could run in their lines, and breeding the two of them together could produce some off color Danes that are mostly healthy, or he could get the worst of the worst.



    Before getting a puppy, I would like to know some family history, like how old the dogs live, if they died young what was the cause, what sort of problems are found in the line, etc. I would want to see proof of health testing on eyes, thyroid, heart, hips, elbows, and it would be an added bonus to see some titles before AND after the parents' names. That would just be stuff I would like to know just for my peace of mind.



    Things to know, since it sounds like you've got your mind made up. As mentioned earlier, make sure you get some good insurance coverage on your pup, as you have no idea what sort of things could pop up down the line. Absolutely DO take your puppy to a puppy class, ASAP when he is old enough. You want to train a Dane, because 150 lbs of ill mannered dog is not something anyone wants. Make sure to find a good quality kibble with appropriate nutrition for a Dane puppy (search the kibble section on here) to keep him growing at a slow steady rate and prevent growth issues. Find a Dane-savvy vet, don't let your vet or anybody else push you into neutering him at 4 months (9 months or older is best, but DO neuter, please!!!). Along with that neuter make sure your vet is following surgical guidelines for Danes, does pre op bloodwork, and go for the gastropexy if at all possible when he's out.

    With all that being said I'm unsure if Dane is the breed for me. I don't know much more than what I see and was told so. At this point I feel I'm getting more negative possibilities so I think I will pass on the pup. Thanks Guys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #17
      No one here thinks you shouldn't get a Dane (they are amazing dogs). They are just trying to encourage you to get one from a well-known, reputable breeder. If you search on the forum for back yard breeder or mistake I think you will see a lot of people wishing they had heeded the excellent advice they were given initially.
      sigpic
      Wally - 5/16/2014 (Fawn Male)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by KaileeO View Post
        No one here thinks you shouldn't get a Dane (they are amazing dogs). They are just trying to encourage you to get one from a well-known, reputable breeder. If you search on the forum for back yard breeder or mistake I think you will see a lot of people wishing they had heeded the excellent advice they were given initially.

        I know that you guys are giving excellent advice but I'm nervous now. I don't know where to even began looking for a reputable breeder. Looking for Help......


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by AlyxMom View Post
          I know that you guys are giving excellent advice but I'm nervous now. I don't know where to even began looking for a reputable breeder. Looking for Help......


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Start with the Puppy buyer 'Must Read' links on the left hand side of the forum homepage. There is some great, informative information there. Secondly, try to found out if there is a relatively local Dane club in your area and see when the next shows are happening. Go to shows. Talk to people. Start building up a network. You could also see if there is a Dane rescue in your area and start volunteering to get your feet wet.

          I get the nervousness with a Dane, but as long as you educate yourself and make smart, educated decisions, there's really nothing to worry about (to the point of not getting one).

          This forum is a wonderful place of support.

          Comment


          • #20
            I want to point out that buying from a reputable breeder isn't just a dane thing. Its for ALL dogs. ALL dogs have health issues that are genetic and run in their lines. So all dogs need to be purchased from reputable breeders that are working hard to keep their dogs breed as healthy as possible, mentally and physically.

            We are specifically talking about danes because this is DOL, a dane forum. But if we were on the doberman forum I'm a part of, the answers would be the same. On the poodle forum I recently joined, its the same as well. Now, most people don't do this. Most people get their dogs from crap breeders or pet stores and they have health issues and people just think that's part of having a dog. They don't think about the ethics of thier decision, or the consequences. I find it hard to believe your uncle is going to keep all these dogs. And if he does, is he going to offer them exciting fulfilling lives? Each and every one of them? And if he does give them away, will he require they all be neutered/spayed? Or he doesn't care? What if some of the new owners decide they should have puppies? What if the new owners decide they don't want the dog? There's already TONS of similar dogs in shelters. There's many huge ethical issues here. But they are not dane specific issues. Any dog breed you look at will be the same.

            You might also let him know he's going to get some really weird colors breeding a blue merle to a fawn.... Generally danes breed in color families. Usually each color to itself or to a similar color. Like fawns are usually bred to fawns or brindles. Blues are bred to blues or blacks. Harls are bred to harls or mantles. That type of thing. Its generally undone to breed cross color families because it produces really odd colors and dogs that don't really look like danes. But maybe he knows and thats what he wants. But I couldn't imagine why unless he was going to sell them and try to make more money advertising "rare" colors. This is a common BYB tactic.

            Maybe you could suggest he make an account on here and we can talk to him directly.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by AlyxMom View Post
              With all that being said I'm unsure if Dane is the breed for me. I don't know much more than what I see and was told so. At this point I feel I'm getting more negative possibilities so I think I will pass on the pup. Thanks Guys.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              A lot of the negative possibilities are only because of where you are getting the Dane. If you were getting from a reputable breeder we would still recommend insurance but may not stress it as much because you know the entire pedigree of that dog. You know what age the parents, grandparents, great grand parents died and from what. Having that information makes a big difference. There are no guarantees no matter what you do. I got my swissy from a testing/showing breeder and she ended up with cancer at 6months. It was nothing the breeder could have done to prevent it and $8,000 later she was all clear. So no matter what you should be prepared however you want to start off on the best foot possible especially with a large breed dog. Everything is more expensive.

              Danes are awesome dogs but they are a Mastiff at the end of the day and not a golden retriever. I have owned all sorts of breeds big and small and with other breeds there is usually a eager to please attitude by the dog. Danes, not so much. They are not as hard headed as other mastiff breeds but I do still find they can have that "what's in it for me" attitude. Everyone hears that they are lazy dogs and wants one but the truth is young Danes can be very active. I spend a lot of time during my day making sure my teenager dane has enough mental and physical exercise. If you don't, you can have behavioral issues and a 120lb dog with behavior issues is not good. Adolescent Danes can absolutely destroy a room in 20 minutes.

              They are amazing dogs. I have ALWAYS wanted a Dane. They can be a handful when they are young but if you put in the work they are absolute dreams as they come into adulthood.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Tiva View Post
                I want to point out that buying from a reputable breeder isn't just a dane thing. Its for ALL dogs. ALL dogs have health issues that are genetic and run in their lines. So all dogs need to be purchased from reputable breeders that are working hard to keep their dogs breed as healthy as possible, mentally and physically.

                We are specifically talking about danes because this is DOL, a dane forum. But if we were on the doberman forum I'm a part of, the answers would be the same. On the poodle forum I recently joined, its the same as well. Now, most people don't do this. Most people get their dogs from crap breeders or pet stores and they have health issues and people just think that's part of having a dog. They don't think about the ethics of thier decision, or the consequences. I find it hard to believe your uncle is going to keep all these dogs. And if he does, is he going to offer them exciting fulfilling lives? Each and every one of them? And if he does give them away, will he require they all be neutered/spayed? Or he doesn't care? What if some of the new owners decide they should have puppies? What if the new owners decide they don't want the dog? There's already TONS of similar dogs in shelters. There's many huge ethical issues here. But they are not dane specific issues. Any dog breed you look at will be the same.

                You might also let him know he's going to get some really weird colors breeding a blue merle to a fawn.... Generally danes breed in color families. Usually each color to itself or to a similar color. Like fawns are usually bred to fawns or brindles. Blues are bred to blues or blacks. Harls are bred to harls or mantles. That type of thing. Its generally undone to breed cross color families because it produces really odd colors and dogs that don't really look like danes. But maybe he knows and thats what he wants. But I couldn't imagine why unless he was going to sell them and try to make more money advertising "rare" colors. This is a common BYB tactic.

                Maybe you could suggest he make an account on here and we can talk to him directly.

                He's not selling pups my uncle has gone through losing his wife daughter and grandson in the same year. He's very lonely he takes on anything that he can care for. These dogs sleep in house in his room. He's not giving them away. He enjoys the company of these pups. He's spaying the female and neutering the male. That I've talked with him about. And he wants to do the same with the puppies so he doesn't end up with tons of pups. He's 65 and if you dropped a cage full of dogs off hed care for them as well. I'm just simply asking questions regarding a bred I know nothing about. At this point I'm over having a dog. I will do my best to lend him a hand with all his new additions.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #23
                  Honestly if he is going to keep that many dogs I bet he would love the help. Actually, if you think of it, you get the benefits without the risk or work! Once the pups are past 8 weeks you should do little mini sleepovers or day visits. I bet your kids would LOVE that. I would love to be able to borrow a pup for a couple hours and then give it back! lol

                  That way if one particular pup really takes your fancy you can consider keeping them.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X