dominance or play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominance or play?

Hello Everyone! This is my first post. Im proud to be owned by 2 great danes! I have a 9yr old male, and 3 wks ago I rescued a 5 yr old ,just spayed female . Shes great! The other day I layed on the floor flat on my back,and she came over and layed down on top of me, 120lbs of dead weight. Kinda like she was pinning me there. She nibbled on my shoulders, and was really in my face!Tail was wagging in a good way. So I just did it again, she was in another room , but could see me, and as soon as I layed down she layed right on top of me again,and did the nibbling again. Ive had dogs all my life ,but have never experienced anything like this. Im thinking she wants to be the QUEEN BEE! I know nothing about her history. All we know is that she was dropped off at the shelter by a man who said she was a stray. A very skinny, walking skeleton! Not sure what to think.

Those nibbling bites aka flea bites or ant bites are I sign of affection, I believe. Danes want to be WITH their people! Cleo will lie on me and fall fast asleep. I think it's a good sign that she feels that comfortable already.
    sigpicKelly

Comment

Just reading this made me think of a cute Dane thing to do. Wally seems love having as much of his body pressed against me as possible, so I would think she is just being affectionate. Especially if she seems happy about it, maybe if she was a stray for awhile she is just happy to have a loving home
      sigpic
      Wally - 5/16/2014 (Fawn Male)

Comment

I would gently suggest reading up on what dominance actually is as that will help you navigate some of this. It really has no place in our talking about human dog interactions or training issues in the way it is often misused.

http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance

It sounds like playing though there could be a bit of nervous energy in there as well. My female does this to me a lot as well and its always meant in a sweet way but I can tell she is also just a bit nervous/concerned about me being on the floor it seems as well.

Comment

Fabulous article. Thx!
          sigpicKelly

Comment

Caesar has ruined us all! Poor dogs, every little thing they do we question dominance. OP, this is not directed at you directly because my very post on DOL was asking if a behavior was dominance as well!

My boy flea bites when he is excited.
            sigpic

Comment

We call it "chittering." Ailill loves doing it to us!
              sigpicHeather and Ailill

Comment

I love it, a 9 year old and 5 year old. You are just a super person!

This is protective behavior.

Comment

Frankie flea bites sometimes. We call them love bites.

Comment

poppy does that if i'm scratching her flanks while she is leaning on me. for some time i thought she was trying to tell me that was annoying, but it took me a little bit to understand.
                    sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

Apollo gives us the nibbles when he leans on us and we scratch his booty. It's never hard, it's just like a 'hey, thaaaannnkkk yoooouuu' kind of thing. He also lays on top of me whenever I'm on the floor, in bed, on the couch, sitting in a chair.. Pretty much whenever he can. He loves physical contact, and whenever he gets a chance to lay all over me, he does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      -- Katelyn

sigpic
                      Apollo

Comment

Working...
                      X