Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to board and to owning Great Dane

Hello Everyone,

My name is Sheilagh and my husband and I rescued our dog, Thor, from the shelter about 1 and 1/2 years ago. We were told he was a French mastiff mix but we are pretty sure he is a great dane x French mastiff mix due to his size. He is 31 inches at the withers and around 120 pounds at 2. He was taken along with 7 dogs, 13 birds and 31 cats from a hoarders house. He was never socialized correctly and when we got him at 4 months old he was scared of everything, poor guy even jumped at his own shadow. We quickly released that he was growing a lot taller then the average French mastiff and had a lot of traits of a great dane. We hired a trainer and he is now a lot better then he was but he is still a little skittish. I wanted to join the board to talk to people who own the breed as I have done a lot of book reading on Great Danes but wanted to hear from owners. What are some things we should know about the breed, that aren't in books? He whines a lot unless you are touching him, is that a normal trait? LOL
    Attached Files

Welcome, and thank you for rescuing! He is a cutie. Yes, Great Danes love to be with their people! Gracie needs to be in the same room as one of us and is almost always curled up on the couch or bed next to us (and takes up about 3/4 of the space!) Thor's whining might be a little more exaggerated than most dogs (due to his background or maybe just his temperament?), but it's definitely not a breed that can spend huge amounts of time alone.

There's so much to learn on this forum, have fun exploring!
    sigpic
    “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shy5150 View Post
      Hello Everyone,

My name is Sheilagh and my husband and I rescued our dog, Thor, from the shelter about 1 and 1/2 years ago. We were told he was a French mastiff mix but we are pretty sure he is a great dane x French mastiff mix due to his size. He is 31 inches at the withers and around 120 pounds at 2. He was taken along with 7 dogs, 13 birds and 31 cats from a hoarders house. He was never socialized correctly and when we got him at 4 months old he was scared of everything, poor guy even jumped at his own shadow. We quickly released that he was growing a lot taller then the average French mastiff and had a lot of traits of a great dane. We hired a trainer and he is now a lot better then he was but he is still a little skittish. I wanted to join the board to talk to people who own the breed as I have done a lot of book reading on Great Danes but wanted to hear from owners. What are some things we should know about the breed, that aren't in books? He whines a lot unless you are touching him, is that a normal trait? LOL

Welcome to DOL - he is handsome - and I would have guessed Dane-cross too!

As far as the whining if you are not touching - that fits Zoomer to a tee lol. He will stand on the other side of our baby gate and whine while either hubby or I are doing laundry 3 feet away.

The whining turns into full-on mournful moaning and yelping if we dare move another 5-6 feet away to get our boys dressed and ready for school in their room. Sigh.

Our female Dane was not this needy on the other hand.
      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Thanks for replying, he is such a loving and great dog. My 3 yr old can do anything to him. She puts him in headlocks, she grabs toys out his mouth etc (of course we yell at her for this) and he does not care. He is just so happy someone is touching him, LOL.

lisacp75- Your Zommer sounds so much like Thor. Thor is always in the same room as us but if he is not touching us he whines, HAHA. Never had a dog like that before.

Comment

Welcome! I love French Mastiffs! He's a handsome guy!

Sounds very velcro danish!
          sigpic

Comment

What a beautiful boy you have there!

Our older dog is extra needy. I think because when we first got him, he was the only dog and I wasn't in school so I was with him 24/7 for a while. He's always in the same room as me! When he sees my husband walking in when he gets off work he goes crazy and runs back and forth from the window to the door screaming with excitement, lol.

They definitely need their people! Does he lean up against you?

Comment

Originally posted by yabos View Post
              What a beautiful boy you have there!

Our older dog is extra needy. I think because when we first got him, he was the only dog and I wasn't in school so I was with him 24/7 for a while. He's always in the same room as me! When he sees my husband walking in when he gets off work he goes crazy and runs back and forth from the window to the door screaming with excitement, lol.

They definitely need their people! Does he lean up against you?
              LOL, that sounds so like Thor. He does try to lean up but mostly he tries to climb in our laps or if we are bent over, lacing up our shoes, or something he will lay down on his belly and try and crawl under our arms so that he can get as close as possible to us. Unless we make him sit and stay in one spot he will be right behind us every step we take, lol. Sometimes he is not paying attention and wont stop when we do and will run right into us almost knocking us over

Comment

Working...
              X