introducing olivia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introducing olivia

by now, you all know that i lost my swee' pea girl to liver failure last monday. it was very sudden and unexpected. after 2 days/nights in the e.r. on iv fluids, she did not improve and in fact, got worse. monday morning, my vet and i made the decision to lay her to rest. my heart is broken, there is a hole never to be filled. pea and i had a bond like no other. she will live in my heart until i see her again at the bridge.

i had no intentions whatsoever of bringing another dane in. i thought, after a while, bentley would get used to being an only dog. i know dogs bounce back after these losses much quicker than we do but it broke my heart to see him so sad.

one of the local all breed rescues contacted me a couple of weeks ago to see if i could help them place 2 danes they got in. cooper is a 3 year old male. olivia, an 8 year old female. they were left alone to languish when their formers owners packed up and moved. a relative had been feeding them but was having to travel a distance to do it and couldn't continue so she surrendered them.

last wednesday, i called the rescue to see if they still had them available. both were still there and the director told me they were desperate to find homes for them. on an impulse, i went to see olivia on my lunch hour. i figured cooper would find a home soon but at 8 years old, olivia was virtually unadoptable.

the very moment i looked into olivia's eyes, i knew. all i could see was pea smiling back at me. i had been looking for a sign from swee' pea to let me know she was ok, running and playing with ashley, eating part of gary's hershey bar, waiting for the time when i would join them. happy, healthy, no more pain or illness. i would have settled for a penny from heaven or a winter rainbow but look at this girl and tell me pea didn't send her straight from heaven!!!

not only is olivia a spittin' image of pea, her personality is identical. she loves nothing more than cuddles on the floor and she and bentley are getting along better than i ever could have imagined! in fact, their initial meeting went SO well, i decided to forgo a second meeting and bring her home immediately. they make the cutest couple!

this is our "going home" pic taken at the rescue.

God and pea have blessed me beyond belief!!!
    [SIGPIC]

she is a fawn/merle/mantle.

the only time i have heard her bark was the first time she saw the pigs. here she is, meeting harley for the first time. now, she pretty much ignores them in favor of chasing bentley around the shed!

on our way home friday, she woke up when i got to the bank drive-up window. look, she even has pea's "stink eye" down pat! LOL

she was right at home the moment she walked into the house!

~~love love love~~
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Darn you Charlene, I'm at work and have to explain why I have tears rolling down my face.

Congratulations and bless your big, kind heart.
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

<3 <3 <3

Do they know her history as far as what "breeder" she came from?

Comment

It's uncanny how much they resemble each other, especially because pea's coloring/markings were so unique. What an amazing way to take your grief and let something do positive come from it. You are a saint, Charlene!
          sigpicKelly

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
            <3 <3 <3

Do they know her history as far as what "breeder" she came from?
            they don't know a thing. her caretaker lives in alton which means the former owners live near there (or did before they up and left). could it be possible, being the same age as pea, that she could have come from the same litter??? i don't think we will ever know but nothing would surprise me, seeing how totally alike they are!

thank you all for the lovely comments. i'm not a saint, i just could not stand the thought of olivia spending another night in that noisy kennel! oh and cooper was adopted yesterday!!! squeeee!!!
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Good for you. I'm glad Olivia will get to be happy with your family now.
              --------------------------
              Josh Wolff
              Bowie: born 2/15/2012
              Jayda: born 08/19/2014

sigpic

Comment

I have tears streaming down my face. I'm so happy y'all found each other. She was meant for you.

Comment

Pea just always reminded me so much of the Danes from that rescue turned off color breeder in her head shape and Olivia is so similar. Doesn't really matter at all of course just interesting.

Comment

Put me with the crying group. Read the post of Pea's passing and so lost my composure.

Reading this now... Yep, crying again.

I love Dane stories with happy endings!

Welcome Home Olivia!

Danefully,

Dru

Comment

i'm not familiar with the breeder you are referring to. but yes, very interesting considering there couldn't have been too many females born with this coloring and coming from the same area!

more to make you cry...it did me! olivia doing the dane sit next to me on the couch for back scratches. pea used to do this ALL the time!

sitting is hard work.

no, really, VERY hard work!
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

This is so special. Sending many blessings to you and your crew!
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm so sorry to learn about the loss of your Sweet Pea (I haven't been online for a week). Thank you so much for taking this beautiful girl into your home and heart, and thank her for helping you heal. Matches really are made in Heaven sometimes.
                          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Thank you for rescuing Olivia! What a beautiful way to honor Sweet Pea's memory and save a life.
                            sigpic
                            “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Well y'all that are crying have me for company as well....I couldn't wait to see if you were going to be bringing olivia home-what a great way to start my monday!!!!!!!!!!!! You and Bentley are wonderful ...and Pea and Ashley are watching and taking care of mama!

Comment

Working...
                              X