Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All - Newbie Here

Hi All,
    Thanks for having me. I am a newbie GD Mom, with a 4 month old (tomorrow) baby black male. His name is Elijah. I'm not terribly religious, but he was born on All Saints Day, and after scouring saint's names (as I thought that would be appropriate), I found I liked Elijah very much.

I am also Mom to two cats - Colonel Mustard (10 yo orange male, Maine Coon/DLH mix) and Miles (10 ½ yo DSH male). We are still working through the new addition, but the boys are doing pretty well with it, and luckily haven't stopped loving me for bringing this "beast" into their home.

Life circumstances kept me from getting my Dane for too long, but I've wanted one for a little more than 20 years, so I'm very happy that I'm finally here.

Attached pic is Eli at 12 ½ weeks (approx). I will post ones from today as soon as my PhotoStream updates (my Mac is a little show right now). Eli is doing very well, and is a real sweetheart. My main concern right now is that I'm unable to have him outside for sustained periods because of the low temps, snow and ice. He's getting cabin fever, and I can't blame him. We play in the house, practice commands, try new foods and toys, but it's going to be like this for a little while. I would like some ideas for toys that are great for exercising the mind and the body for a little while. I work from my home, but I do have to work, so I need ideas for things that can engage Eli and satisfy him for periods of time (maybe 30-45 minutes). I tried Kong toys with PB, but he's not interested, although he loves PB (but it does a number on his GI system). He loves frozen green beans, and so we play with them and he eats them, but he needs me to toss them in order for him to engage.

Also, he seems to have a little irritation around his belly button, and on the soft inside skin along the right back leg. I am unsure what to put on these areas. Normally, I wouldn't use anything that I wouldn't put on my own skin, but if it's a chafing, should I use diaper rash ointment (like A&D)? Or is there something better that I should try? I hate to use petroleum unless it's truly the best option.

Thanks so much! I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Best,
    Eli's Mom
    Attached Files

Welcome! Have you tried bully sticks, dried duck feet, stuff like that? bestbullysticks.com has a bunch of dehydrated stuff that would last awhile for a puppy. I also use meaty bones, but you'd need to ease into those if he has a sensitive tummy.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Welcome to DOL!

Here are some recent threads with ideas:

http://dolforum.com/forum/showthread...al+stimulation

http://dolforum.com/forum/showthread...ight=Purgatory
      -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

My trainer has me giving all of my dogs food to him either with treat dispensing toys, kongs or during training. Nothing out of a bowl. I find that gives him good mental stimulation and helps to keep him occupied.

I got this treat ball at a Job Lots for like $4.00 and it has been awesome! I just wish it was bigger.
        [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Petlinks-Tricky-Treater-Treat-Dispenser/dp/B00AQ4C30K/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1424491884&sr=1-4&keywords=treat+dispenser"]Amazon.com : Petlinks Tricky Treater Dog Toy Treat Dispenser : Pet Toy Balls : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Here are some other treat dispensing toys that you could use to feed your dog that I have heard good things about:
        [ame="http://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Bob---Lot-Interactive-Large/dp/B001JQLNB4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1424491884&sr=1-3&keywords=treat+dispenser"]Amazon.com : StarMark Bob-A-Lot Interactive Pet Toy, Large : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Wobbler-Treat-Dispensing-Large/dp/B003ALMW0M/ref=sr_1_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1424491884&sr=1-13&keywords=treat+dispenser"]Amazon.com : KONG Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy, Large : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Buddy-Dispensing-Medium-Large/dp/B000KV7ZGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1424492055&sr=1-1&keywords=tug+a+jug"]Amazon.com : PetSafe Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug Meal Dispensing Dog Toy, Medium/Large : Pet Toy Ropes : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Or you could just take a large mouth plastic bottle and cut some holes in it, put food in and let them roll it around.

I didn't feel like spending money on the kong wobbler but had a kong (that my dog is not really too interested in) so I took the kong, filled it with kibble then put a piece of scotch tape over the big hole so the kibble comes out slower and he likes to roll that around getting his food.

I have heard a lot of people recommend the pickle but it is apparently too much work for my boy to get even the best treats out of it. I need to try it again
        [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Starmark-Treat-Dispensing-Pickle-Pocket/dp/B007K5CL9Q/ref=sr_1_21?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1424491884&sr=1-21&keywords=treat+dispenser"]Amazon.com : Starmark Treat Dispensing Pickle Pocket for Dogs : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies[/ame]

I use the flirt pole which can be used indoors with a small pup as well. We have snow and ice so our time outside is pretty short. I do try to get in a walk a day but sometimes we don't even do that. For my boy the flirt pole, a 20min walk, an hour of reinforcing basic commands (that is when he gets about 2cups of his food and it really tires him out), treat dispensing toys, a game of "find it", a game of fetch/tug and some time for him to chew on something (frozen bully stick) keeps him pretty much out of trouble.
        sigpic

Comment

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

We got our pup one of these for mental stimulation

http://www.chewy.com/dog/kyjen-doggy...uzzle/dp/50882
          sigpicBae and Chip hanging out together for the first time.

Comment

karenNJ: Thank you for all of the ideas. I saw the pic of your pup on the forum yesterday and saved it because I could swear that will be Eli at 10 months. He looks almost identical, just smaller.
            Last edited by Eli'sMom; 02-21-2015, 12:04 PM. Reason: identify poster

Comment

ImJustMe83: Thank you!

Comment

lisacp75: Thank you!

Comment

oshagcj914: Eli loves bully sticks, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by karenNJ View Post
                    My trainer has me giving all of my dogs food to him either with treat dispensing toys, kongs or during training. Nothing out of a bowl. I find that gives him good mental stimulation and helps to keep him occupied.

I got this treat ball at a Job Lots for like $4.00 and it has been awesome! I just wish it was bigger.
                    Amazon.com : Petlinks Tricky Treater Dog Toy Treat Dispenser : Pet Toy Balls : Pet Supplies

Here are some other treat dispensing toys that you could use to feed your dog that I have heard good things about:
                    Amazon.com : StarMark Bob-A-Lot Interactive Pet Toy, Large : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : KONG Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy, Large : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : PetSafe Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug Meal Dispensing Dog Toy, Medium/Large : Pet Toy Ropes : Pet Supplies

Or you could just take a large mouth plastic bottle and cut some holes in it, put food in and let them roll it around.

I didn't feel like spending money on the kong wobbler but had a kong (that my dog is not really too interested in) so I took the kong, filled it with kibble then put a piece of scotch tape over the big hole so the kibble comes out slower and he likes to roll that around getting his food.

I have heard a lot of people recommend the pickle but it is apparently too much work for my boy to get even the best treats out of it. I need to try it again
                    Amazon.com : Starmark Treat Dispensing Pickle Pocket for Dogs : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

I use the flirt pole which can be used indoors with a small pup as well. We have snow and ice so our time outside is pretty short. I do try to get in a walk a day but sometimes we don't even do that. For my boy the flirt pole, a 20min walk, an hour of reinforcing basic commands (that is when he gets about 2cups of his food and it really tires him out), treat dispensing toys, a game of "find it", a game of fetch/tug and some time for him to chew on something (frozen bully stick) keeps him pretty much out of trouble.

thanks! this was incredibly helpful-- i have resorted to frozen kongs and bones for my dogs but the thought of having toys that would tire them out mentally too is great.
                    sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

My boy had similar irritations as a pup, just started using a soap-free organic oatmeal shampoo, and no issues since.

Comment

As for toys, I've very expensively found that "tough" or "indestructible" really does not seem to apply for great danes! My solution has been regular introduction of a new toy, my dane becomes obsessed with that toy for about a week and then will randomly go pick up another toy. But the longest lasting toy he has had is the kong air squeeker large tennis ball, have only had to replace them coz they get a bit grubby after a while where as normal tennis balls he splits and destroys in the first 5 minutes and need to take away before he eats them.

Comment

bully stick question

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                          Welcome! Have you tried bully sticks, dried duck feet, stuff like that? bestbullysticks.com has a bunch of dehydrated stuff that would last awhile for a puppy. I also use meaty bones, but you'd need to ease into those if he has a sensitive tummy.
                          In my naïveté, I didn't know what bully sticks were when I first bought them. I have since seen some concerning information about the possibility of barbering bacteria. I would appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.

Comment

Rotation of Toys

Originally posted by JesseM View Post
                            As for toys, I've very expensively found that "tough" or "indestructible" really does not seem to apply for great danes! My solution has been regular introduction of a new toy, my dane becomes obsessed with that toy for about a week and then will randomly go pick up another toy. But the longest lasting toy he has had is the kong air squeeker large tennis ball, have only had to replace them coz they get a bit grubby after a while where as normal tennis balls he splits and destroys in the first 5 minutes and need to take away before he eats them.
                            Yes! I actually learned this from a seeing eye dog trainer. I have a bag that I keep out of Eli's reach, and whenever I introduce a new toy, I take one away. Eli is none-the-wiser, and gets so excited when I bring back an old fave. The only exceptions to this rule (that I use) are: he always has his food-dispensing toy (thanks to the helpful replies on this forum) and he always has his dragon toy (first toy he picked out at 12 weeks old, and always the most favorite toy, and yes, I have hand-sewed many a hole). Otherwise, he couldn't be happier with this process. I definitely recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by ImJustMe83 View Post
                              Hello. Welcome to the forum.

We got our pup one of these for mental stimulation

http://www.chewy.com/dog/kyjen-doggy...uzzle/dp/50882
                              Out of curiosity, how long did it take for Bea and Chip to hang out? I have two 10-yo cats that are displeased by Eli's joining the family. One of them is standing his ground, but the other one is in hiding most of the time. I'm trying lots of encouragement and patience, and special cat treats (aka tuna), but to little avail. It's been about 6 weeks since Eli came home - I'm expecting it to take about 3 months, but I'm curious about what others have experienced. BTW - Eli doesn't chase or torment, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X