Hope it's ok for a 1/2 breed to say hello

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope it's ok for a 1/2 breed to say hello

About one year ago we adopted a puppy at the Oregon Humane Society--Luna. She was 17 lbs, young and black and beautiful and quite sick. They thought she was a greyhound/lab mix. Well we nursed her back to health and she grew and grew. So much so that we got her DNA tested and she is 1/2 Great Dane, 1/2 lab and much bigger than we ever expected her to be. We've really had fun reading up on the personality traits of the breeds (including here!) and are totally convinced she inherited most of her DNA from the Dane side. She is goofy, aloof, introverted and totally rambunctious. She's not openly affectionate but we know she loves the heck out of us and misses us when we are gone. She doesn't swim or fetch (where's that lab????) but plays a good game of keep away with a stick. She still thinks she is a lap dog and that she owns the bed (the snoring could peel the paint off the walls!). She is also protective of the house (just growly, not aggressive) and when it comes to other dogs, tends to like to play with puppies rather than run with a pack. She is submissive and shy at first with most adult dogs despite excellent socialization. She also loves to hike on the trails up here in the Pacific NW and does great off leash.

In short, I hope I am not out of line posting here in a forum for pure bred dane owners. However, I have enjoyed reading about why you all love your Danes so much and seeing that my mix shares most of the same personality traits with your Danes. From what I've read she's a million times more dane than lab. Accordingly I registered to say thanks for your informative posts. What cool dogs.
    Attached Files

Welcome . There's quite a few Dane mixes here, not a problem. She's a pretty girl, gotta love those crazy ears
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Danemix View Post

In short, I hope I am not out of line posting here in a forum for pure bred dane owners.
      Are you kidding? You got a dog from a rescue. You're like a Scott Baio-Kathy Griffin-level celebrity around here. lol

That lap-dog thing is definitely Dane-related. Welcome to the forum.
      --------------------------
      Josh Wolff
      Bowie: born 2/15/2012
      Jayda: born 08/19/2014

sigpic

Comment

Hello from another Luna! We got Luna 2 years ago fom a rescue and she is another part dane/lab. She was 3 at the time and has really developed her daneness. At 5 years old, she now leans, follows us constantly, plays with toys, and does zoomies. What a great dog we have and so different from her original behavior! Rescues are the best.

Comment

Welcome

1/2 Breeds are totally welcome. The only time that gets a poster in trouble is when they purposely and knowingly paid a breeder money for a 1/2 breed. You are way cool for picking a shelter dog.

Comment

You didn't knowingly purchase a mix breed from a breeder; you rescued her from a shelter. That is a huge difference. My first dog I owned as a grown up was a lab/dane mix. He was the best of both breeds. Sounds like you definitely got the dane traits in her. Welcome to the forum.
            sigpic
            Adrienne
            Roger - 3 yr Brindle
            Mabel - 1 year
            Rest In Peace Willow 4.11.14
            Pepper 10.26.14

Comment

Welcome! Love her ears .

Comment

Welcome my fellow Oregonian! She's a beauty and I can definitely see her Dane traits.

Comment

Oh she is beautiful!!! I see lots of Dane in your girl...welcome to the Forum!!

Comment

She's lovely! Welcome!
                    sigpic
                    Fergus
                    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                    Eisen Shark
                    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Welcome and thank you for rescuing! She's gorgeous, I can definitely see the Dane in her! We rescued our girl from a shelter too (without any particular desire for a Great Dane over other breeds, just chose her based on her temperament and personality) and we have absolutely fallen in love with her, and with the breed! Great Danes are incredible and goofy and gentle and so loving, I don't know if I'd ever own another breed of dog.
                      sigpic
                      “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

Thanks!

What a warm welcome! Thanks to all of you! I look forward to reading more about all of you and your goofy danes!!!!

Comment

Welcome, I definitely see the Dane in her. Beautiful girl.

Comment

Welcome to the group. Your girl is a cutie
                            sigpicBae and Chip hanging out together for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                            X