Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mezzi and Castle think intro is in order

Hi all,
    Today is week 16 for our new Dane puppies, Mezzi and Castle.
    Why 2 you may ask? Family (wife & 3 boys) was split on color and I'm a sucker, oh well that's what happens when no one goes with me to pick one.
    Mezzi is a fawn and Castle is black, both females, so far so good.
    Have been enjoying forum and learning about these "giants" over the last 6 months.
    Cheers!

Welcome! Please check out this thread from the training and behavior forum. Then check out this follow up article. Make sure you follow the suggestions in there to avoid or lessen the issues mentioned.

The tl;dr here is that getting two puppies at the same time is usually not the best idea. It's at least double the work of one pup, but usually more. Experts recommend that if you have two puppies, for the first year they should remain in separate areas of the house with the exception of some daily playtime together. This means separate puppy-proofed rooms, separate crates, separate sleeping areas for nighttime and when you are away. Take them to separate vet visits, separate walks, separate socialization excursions.

Appologies if you already know this. Just trying to cover my bases, since by the time issues start with this, it can be too late to fix. You want to be proactive, not reactive, especially with dane puppies that grow so fast. For an example of what can happen if you are NOT proactive, there was recently a thread in the introductions section here about two danes that were raised from puppies together and the issues they are now fighting. The bright side is, if you get a great trainer, and put the work in and follow the experts suggestions, you can potentially have two awesome danes! Its good you found this forum, everyone here is so helpful! I'm sure they will offer advice for you as well.

Also get them both enrolled in puppy class (separate classes) asap! I'd also definitely consider health insurance, especially with 2 pups. And please upload some pictures of them! We love puppies here!
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome! 2 at once...you're brave! I think Tiva covered all the bases. Littermate syndrome is a bad thing and it's a really big bad thing with really big dogs. Good luck and enjoy your puppies!
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions/directions and article links. We did take some of those items into account. I did research the "raising 2 dogs" and spent over 4 hours with the entire litter of 12 and a few more shorter visits. My intro may have read a little bit as deciding on 2 dogs by impulse, but I did some prep work. Probably not enough, but didn't decide on a whim.

My wife is a teacher during day and I am in youth sports in the evenings/weekends. This way they are always (if possible lol) supervised.They get very short walks/training individually and together 2-3 times a day. Eating, playing, sleeping and learning go well. Thinking about how it may change during their adolescent years.

We crate them separately in smaller size appropriate crates overnight and on short outings. They play equally, barring the occasional baiting each other with toys.We live in very small community, but have regular obedience classes during year. We plan on attending where all 5 of us are the with each dog to keep commands and training consistent.

Health Insurance seems like a good idea, Ill have to search on it.

More pics coming as soon as I get admin approval. Ill keep working on it.
        I have other questions but Ill try to post on appropriate threads.

Thanks again for all present and future suggestions/advice.
        Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X