New Member- 9wk puppy Knuckling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member- 9wk puppy Knuckling

Hi everyone! Nylah was born 1/17/14 and I got her last Saturday. Yesterday we noticed what looked like bowing in her front right leg and today it was much worse. The previous owner was feeding Purina puppy and I switched her to Nutro Natural Choice Lg breed puppy on Sunday. She is so active its hard to get a picture. The front view was yesterday and today she couldn't keep the leg straight . Any advice is appreciated!
    Attached Files

Welcome.

As a general rule, no puppy food for Dane puppies. They aren't formulated for the rapid growth these babies experience. Many people think large breed puppy food is good, but Danes aren't large breed dogs, they are giant breed dogs. She needs to be on a quality adult kibble with about 21% protein. You can post in the Kibble forum and get more replies.
    sigpic
    RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
    Levi...born June 29th, 2011
    Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
    Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

You need to change the diet IMMEDIATELY and this should straighten itself out quite quickly. But if you do not, it can become crippling and permanent.

I would also supplement with Vitamin C (regular or Ester C is fine) and Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

Get off puppy food !!! Get on to a good quality adult or all life stages food.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Mine is starting to knuckle over at 9 weeks too! Should the switch to the new adult food be gradual or a complete switch?

Comment

Are you sure it is knuckling or is it just the oversized knuckles that are normal for puppies this young? What are you feeding? What is the calcium/phosphorous levels? How much are you feeding? It is fine now to feed a good quality puppy food that has the proper calcium,/phosphorous levels.. Most adult foods are now too high in both including some that use to be fine..
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

I switched to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato last week.
              Protein: 20.0%
              Calcium:0.8%
              Phosphorus: 0.6%
              I also added in 1500 mg of Vitamin C and am also thinking about adding in MSM as I just came in today.
              I'm definitely improvements but didn't know if I was doing the optimal feeding for her.

Comment

Make sure any food switch is done slowly over no less then 7 days..Be slow on the vit c as well since too much too quick can cause diarrhea and can also upset the stomach.. I would not add to much too quickly it wil loverwhelm the system.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA

Comment

Help!!! My 11 week old puppy is showing signs of knuckling I think in his right front leg. He is currently on pro pac because of his Breeder. I am going to switch him once my food gets here tomorrow with lower levels of calcium and phosphorus. Also does the protein matter? I’ve read on the forums that not so much. And I was feeding him 3 cups a day in three meals. I am considering lowering it to two cups just in case. Help me please

Comment

Protein is not an issue but calcium/phosphorous is. Excess calories are also an issue. A growing puppy should be lean with the last 2-3 ribs barely visible. They should not be chunky nor should the hips, spine and all ribs show. Unless the calorie content is high and he is chunky I would not reduce his food that much.. he needs proper nutrition to grow. Also steer away from high plant ingredient foods.make sure the food you feed is good quality..switch slowly over 10 -14 days..
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA

Comment

Yeah he is not chunky at all but the food his Breeder had him on did have high calcium and phosphorus levels. I heard supplementing VIT c helps with knuckling? What else can I do except I am going yo switch him food with proper Calcium and phosphorus levels

Comment

I posted a picture. Let me know if it shows

Comment

Which Pro Pac is he on? What are you thinking of changing to? Vit C is a good thing but needs to be started slowly.
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA

Comment

He’s on pro pac heartland but it has like 2.0 Calcium I read on chewy I believe. It’s all stages. I want to switch him to diamond naturals large breed. My German Shepherd is on that now and the Calcium for that’s 1.2 and 1.0 phosphorus. So for sure that would be way lower than the pro pac he’s on right now. Other than that. I don’t know what else I can do to help him

Comment

The phosphorous is too high at 1.0 in relation to the calcium at 1.2.. the phosphorous should be down to .08.. Yes 2.0 is definitely to high in calcium.
                              sigpic
                              Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                              Associate Member GDCNE
                              Member GSPCA
                              Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
                              X